Counting Calories and Exercising and Still Not Losing Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Prelogging is helpful in many ways. It allows you have a guideline for your day, and to see in advance if there are any holes in your nutrition. Such as if you're a little low on protein, or particularly high somewhere. You can adjust accordingly. You can always go back and edit quantities. Like last night I logged for today. And as I actually have my meals/snacks thru the day, and weigh the items, I can update.

I saw your comment about having a couple of waffles for breakfast and then being hungry soon after. This may be due to lack of macro variety. Try having an egg with them and some fruit. Everyone differs, but personally I find that having protein and fat in a meal or snack keeps me full longer. Having just waffles/bread/fruit/etc. that is pretty much pure carb would not have a lasting effect.

And as others have commented, if you're fitting into smaller clothes you HAVE lost weight. That is a big indicator that water weight is preventing the scale from showing it. Keep going and it should level out.

Thank you! I have pre-logged to an extent where I type out my meals for the week Monday-Sunday and write in my breakfast, snacks, lunch etc so I'm never in a black hole because that's where I go down hill. But it's no different if i were to actually log it! Thanks for that!

I'll third this. Much of this is a mental game and when you prelog it hardwires the brain into thinking "Well I can only have this much because I wrote this down." I survived a trip to Portillos today thanks to prelogging :)

FYI - my water weight fluctuates ~5lbs/day.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Bear the water retention in mind. It can be significant.

You say you started a new workout regime, and then afterwards you increased the frequency of the workouts. So you are still on a learning curve and still adapting to your workouts, which means you are probably retaining several pounds of water for muscle repair.

This is temporary and will go away once you have fully adapted - for now, it could easily be masking your fat loss.
  • rayeofsun2017
    rayeofsun2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Love how helpful everyone has been! This was my first post so I won't lie I was worried about what some people may say but I'm only inspired now. I need to make some small changes and stay on the same path!
  • trwww
    trwww Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Its unlikely that you're burning 550 calories in an hour of exercise at your weight. More like 400-425.

To burn 550 calories at your weight in an hour you'd have to be 180-190 beats-per-minute heart pounding in your chest for the entire 60 minutes.

I plugged in your stats to https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc and it says 480 calories for intense aerobics.

But you said you're doing different things, so even changing machines or whatever, you're no longer exercising for the entire 60 mins.

Right there you're overestimating you're calories burned per week by at least 500 calories.

Being so close to your goal weight (compared to a lot of us), every calorie counts.
  • rayeofsun2017
    rayeofsun2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @trwww I only say 550 because that is what my heart rate monitor is telling me, and I use aerobics as a general because I don't know what to enter Orangetheory exercises at