Mexican Food Dishes

Options
2»

Replies

• TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Exchange beef for ground chicken or turkey, add 1/2 can fat free refried beans to the meat mixture with the seasonings, sliced avocado and hot sauce.
    I also use corn tortillas and drape them over 2 of the rails of my oven rack and bake until crisp for a crunchy shell that isn't fried.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is pretty healthy on its own. However, if you'd like to cut some calories, try swapping beef for venison. You can use ground venison or even cook it as chunks or shredded. Season it as you would beef. Try chicken or shrimp dishes. They're fairly common in Mexican food. If you'd like to lighten up the rice, try swapping it for rice cauliflower and season like you normally would.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I lived in NM for four years and learned how to make many dishes and sauces from scratch. I think that is key to keeping Mexican food healthy. If you buy a jar of enchilada sauce or a can of chili or a tub of guacamole it is not going to be as healthy as homemade where you can control the ingredients...i.e. Lean meats, no oils, no added sugar, extra veg, etc. Worst is Mexican food from a fast food joint like Chipolata or Taco Bell...yuck...to be avoided at all costs. Mexican food is also pretty nutrient dense and filling so definitely watch portion size and toppings like cheese, guacamole or sour cream.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Exchange beef for ground chicken or turkey, add 1/2 can fat free refried beans to the meat mixture with the seasonings, sliced avocado and hot sauce.
    I also use corn tortillas and drape them over 2 of the rails of my oven rack and bake until crisp for a crunchy shell that isn't fried.

Have you ever looked at the nutritional information on ground beef vs ground turkey? If you're comparing apples to apples % fat, there's really not much difference. 93% GB is going to be pretty much the same as 93% GT and I'll take the GB any day of the week.
  • kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Homemade enchilada gravy..Tablespoon olive oil and tbs flour brown the flour like you would for gravy add chicken broth just enough to make a small amount of not overly thick gravy go from there add a can or 2 of tomato sauce small cans plenty of garlic powder, cumin, plenty of chili powder salt pepper taste as you go along adjust to your liking..Mission tortillas makes a untra thin corn tortilla 3 tortillas 100 calories..Brown some 96% lean ground beef with onion and seasonings roll you up some enchilada tops with sauce sprinkle top with reduced fat mexi blend cheese bake..Top with green onions and and a spoon 2% fage you have 3 enchiladas for prob less than 300 cal..Or fajitas..sams has a wheat tortilla 90 cal low carb that actually tastes good but I can eat fajitas by themselves..I use ramirez fajita seasoning its salty but the best..My weakness to is mexican food but it can actually be healthy I just made brown rice mexican rice it was pretty good..Brown rice cooks different than white rice so be sure to google a recipe..And the above enchilada sauce can double as a lean carne guisada gravy can use beef broth instead of chicken..Also posole is low cal low fat of you use chicken..And lastly the bean chalupa..Make your own pot of beans mush some up for refried beans el paso Tostada shells 150 caloires for 3..top with beans lettuce tomato and onion hot sauce skip the cheese you wont even notice..You have another prob 300 calorie meal..best of luck
  • sarraheclark
    sarraheclark Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use this site often and the enchilada verde recipe is great! http://www.skinnytaste.com/latin-recipes/
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I usually order shrimp fajitas and ask them to go easy on the oil. I skip the tortillas, sour cream , cheese, chips, and margaritas.