Ideal weight

Options
This is probably premature (I'm just getting started, again) but does anyone know how to estimate ideal weight for a muscular female?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    your ideal weight is whatever you feel best at. Make the changes stick it out and stop when you feel good in your skin. I find the idea of "ideal weight" a tad....silly? Especially off a calculator online somewhere. Dont need that to tell me when i feel at my peak.

However if you must, Look into BMI calculators and pick somewhere in the healthy range near the high end if your muscular
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Frame size, % of lean muscle to fat, body type......it's too early to tell.

Start towards the top of a healthy BMI. Then as you get closer to goal, you'll figure out if you should be at the top, the middle, or the low end of BMI.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    BMI seems to be based solely on height and weight. I assume that's why you'd say the upper range makes more sense for a muscular person?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    BMI scale is ......Eh.

It doesnt take much into account. Aim for the high end, Stop when you like you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Here is a calculator that takes frame size into account. Still not accurate but might give you a better idea.

But yeah. It's going to come down to how you look and feel as you get close.

ETA. I see it only changes the assessment. Not that useful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    utahjulia wrote: »
    BMI seems to be based solely on height and weight. I assume that's why you'd say the upper range makes more sense for a muscular person?

Correct. Muscle is condensed, firm.....fat not so much. You could look good at the top end of BMI, whereas a "softer" person will look best at the lower end. This is why you see so many posts about doing your best to preserve the muscle you have (you didn't ask....but) moderate deficit, enough protein, and resistance training.
  • SalinitySally
    Options
    Twenty years ago I amped up my lifting and reached a weight that was exactly the same as my out of shape friend's. She was a size 14 and I was an 8. I guess I'll have to wait and see. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I don't know about women, but for me it always seems to be:
    current weight - 10lbs.
  • SalinitySally
    Options
    Lol
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No such thing.
  • trwww
    trwww Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • SalinitySally
    Options
    Thank you! I'd seen some of that info but not as complete. Very helpful.