Am I cheating on my steps???

Options
Hello All! Well, I am one of those chained to my desk types and so i just recently bought a pedal exerciser to at least get some movement in. I have a fitbit and I have learned if while I am using the pedal exerciser if I place my hands on my legs then my steps track on my fitbit. Are these really "steps"? Am I cheating? Thank you in advance for your replies! :smile:

Replies

• DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You should really be getting up and moving for five-ten minutes every hour at the desk. You don't have fifteen minutes during the day to go outside for a walk? It will help you physically and mentally.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cheating in what way?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I think yes, because when you walk you engage your muscles in a different way. You're really only hurting yourself if you're relying on steps that way - HOWEVER, I think it is a great alternative if you truly can't get up and get away for a few minutes, but I personally wouldn't count it as steps.
  • crystald911
    crystald911 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you @DevilsFan1, I do have 15 minutes to walk outside and I do. I just wanted to do this for extra movement.

@lorrpb, I just feel like it isn't really steps if I am sitting on my behind maybe? So, am unsure if I should count those into my goal for the day of steps achieved?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If there is some exhertion there and activation of muscles you are burning some energy, but I would speculate far less than moving the entire weight of your body along as you do with 'steps'.

I also wonder how much work you are getting done pedalling away with your hands under the desk lol.

The pedalling may be better than sitting but probably not the same as walking.
  • crystald911
    Options
    Thank you @xsmilexforxmex. I felt as though it was cheating but wasn't sure because I was "moving". Oh well, I will keep at it just to be able to do a little extra movement through the work day.
  • crystald911
    Options
    @lizery ...Well, only one hand is under the desk (the one with the fitbit). LOL! I didn't get this little exerciser expecting to burn massive amounts of calories or to think I would do much other than get a little blood pumping throughout my day. I just noticed my steps going up and got a little excited more about reaching my step goal than expecting any results. Worth a shot, right? :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you @DevilsFan1, I do have 15 minutes to walk outside and I do. I just wanted to do this for extra movement.

@lorrpb, I just feel like it isn't really steps if I am sitting on my behind maybe? So, am unsure if I should count those into my goal for the day of steps achieved?

As said above, the pedaling is better than nothing but it's not walking because you're not moving any weight. It's up to you if you want to count it towards a goal. If you feel like it's cheating, then don't put your hand on your leg and the movements won't count. If you do count it, you could set your goal higher to encourage you to still get some real walking in. Or count it, don't change the goals, and you'll still know what the steps are made up of. How you approach this might change with time too. It's all about what motivates you!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I suggest it all comes down to what purpose you are counting steps for? If it's how far you've walked then clearly, yes, you are falsifying the number.

In any case you could just log it separately as an exercise and the duration you pedalled for, but if you're not getting out of breath or sweating then the calorie burn is unlikely to be significantly more than your base metabolism so it's probably not worth bothering and I certainly wouldn't advise eating back the 'logged calories' if you're trying to lose weight at the moment.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a really great tool to get some exercise in but, I would not count it as actual steps. As someone mentioned above your not getting the full core of the actual walk but great tool to get the heart going for a little calorie burn.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I reckon my fitbit used to count driving over bumps as steps. My step count was way higher than it is with my Misfit, and I'm pretty sure my Misfit is accurate.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,999 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of real steps is that they are weight bearing which can be good for your skeletal structure.

Personally, I wouldn't count the under desk thing as steps. I'd use the lightest possible stationary bike choice and then only log about half the time.
  • crystald911
    Options
    Thank you everyone! No more cheating for me! Both hands above the desk as I pedal away. lol! I will not count this as exercise or steps just as a warm up until I can do some actual exercise.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I work at a fabric store, on my feet cutting or putting away frieght every day. I think my fitbit counts my movements even if I am just standing and cutting, however since I am on my feet all day long, it's hard to tell. When I did have a desk job, I would make a point to move for at least 10 minutes every hour. I was lucky enough to have a boss that didn't expect me to be chained to my desk. Peddling for movement is good, but as other's have pointed out, it's not as good as actually getting up and moving. Is it possible that you can find ways to block time each hour for even some light walking?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand how anyone considers it cheating. The whole concept of that just seems effing absurd.

it's a fitness tracker- not the LSATS.

Now- are you getting the "most" out of your steps doing that? probably not- but cheating implies it's something massive- who cares.

Get your steps in- yes you should get up and walk more- but if you're pedaling at your desk your still doing more than just sitting there.

The only one who gets shorted is you if you feel like what you are doing isn't adequate.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would say that's not cheating. I use a stationary bike; does that mean I'm cheating too because I'm not going anywhere? I'm still doing the work...

However, I have put my Fitbit on my shoe and my calorie count was completely overblown. So, take that for what it's worth.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're cheating. Remember, Fitbit assigns a value of energy burned to each step. Not all steps are equal in its eyes. I doubt that your hands on legs steps are credited as brisk steps, so I don't think this is in any way cheating. You are moving and burning some energy, and I'm going to wager the commensurate burn you get on your Fitbit adjustment is appropriate.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count them as steps because you're not actually taking steps to get them...it's great that you're getting some movement in while at your desk but it's not steps.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is not cheating. You are moving, and movement is more beneficial than just sitting.
    I have a fitbit Charge 2 and I get up every hour and walk around the office. It is a little over 250 steps each trip. My fit bit is programmed to buzz at me if I don't have 250 steps in by 10 minutes to each hour, and sends me a message how many steps I need to get to 250. When I have completed the 250 steps, I get a little inspirational message for getting the steps. This is between the hours of 9 am and 4 pm.