To eat or not to eat...that is the question

Options
Hey yall!

With my protein intake meeting the recommended value...I'm just not hungry. Should I eat if I'm not hungry and pull in those calories, or listen to my body and come in under calories (still meeting the minimum recommended)??

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're eating at least 1200 calories/day and feel good, eat less if you want to. You can also look at your weekly calories if you have an occasion where you may wish to have a few extra (it's in the app under "nutrition").
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Depends. How many calories have you eaten and how often does this happen?

If one day every once in a while you eat less than you should, it's probably no big deal and you'll probably end up making up for it on another day.

If you are often 50 or 25 calories under your goal, that's no big deal.

If you are often substantially under your calorie goal, you are possibly not adequately fueling your body and getting all the nutrition you need. Not just protein, but nutrients, fiber, and calories are fuel your body needs.

It sounds from your post like you are just talking about today, so long story short, no big deal :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don't forget that your body actually needs calories. Energy is not an optional luxury. Getting enough protein is important, but getting enough calories is also important.

As @kimny72 says, once in a while is no big deal, but don't make a habit of undereating. It is not good for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Give it some time and see how fast you're losing. If you're not losing that fast, you're probably eating more than you think anyway.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My body is a traitorous liar.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Look at weekly calories rather than daily. I often come in very low the first few days of the week and then have 1 or 2 pretty high days later in the week. It all averages out to hit my goal. Then look at whether you are losing at the rate that you expect/want. If not, recheck your logging accuracy, move calories up or down etc.

Generally, unless you are consistently low (and know you're accurate) and/or have ED issues, I wouldn't suggest eating if you aren't hungry.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    My body is a traitorous liar.

Same.