Shiraki noodles

Options
Just purchased shiraki noodles, heard great things about them. Has anyone used these noodles? What did you do with them?

Replies

• thetinkerbell71
    thetinkerbell71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the spaghetti ones as spaghetti! Just give them a good rinse and dab them dry. When the sauce it ready, put the noodles on a plate and microwave them for 1 minute, or toss them quickly in a hot pan. So easy, low calorie and satisfying!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I made a spicy peanut butter stir-fry with them. They tend to work well in Asian noodle dishes. Rinse, boil 1-2 minutes and dry in a frying pan on medium heat 1-2 minutes.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    They are not a good "Italian" style pasta alternative, they are designed for use with strong Asian sauces. A noodle, rather than a past if you like. Rinse them well in hot water, throw them into a stirfry or similar and they're fine. Nice and filling. Use a chili or blackbean or peanut sauce, or similar. They also go alright in a laksa.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love them. I eat them in Asian and non Asian dishes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The macaroni ones with tofu make a pretty good mac n' cheese. I ate way too much of it though. The traditional ones do okay with a cheesy sauce as well, but not a tomato sauce. They're best in stir fries.

Just remember to dry fry them.
  • calton1
    calton1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Can't wait to try them.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Rinse, boil 1-2 minutes and dry in a frying pan on medium heat 1-2 minutes.

These were exactly the instructions on the bag of linguine style Miracle Noodles that I bought and tried for the 1st time yesterday.

Main complaint I've read about them is an off putting smell which this procedure removes.

Don't think you need to dry them after boiling to get rid of the smell. Just rinsing and boiling them is enough. That's what I did & didn't notice any smell. Then I threw them in a hot pan w/kimchi to make a quick "stir fry."

It most resembles vermicelli rice noodles and use in southeast Asian stir fry and soup dishes would be best.

It would NOT make a credible Chinese chow mein nor Italian spaghetti or pasta dish (which use flour noodles) but it would work well in making pad thai, pho or pancit.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I dry pan fry mine to give it more of a "pasta" texture. Boiling and rinsing gets rid of any smell for sure. From what I hear, just rinsing alone would remove the smell, but I still prefer to boil in water with a cap full of vinegar.