Net calories

So I was just looking around the app. I checked my net calories for the week and it says I am under by 6648. I assume that's bad? I log my exercise and eat back 50% if I need to (I'm usually pretty good at making my main 3 meals filling that I don't snack much). I weigh everything and always leave at least 100 to 150 calories to make up for any discrepancies in logging. (Ie if I forgot to weigh the oil or the cooking spray etc). I am losing. 12 lbs in 29 days. Weight training 3x a week.

Replies

• ksmommy5
    ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
    No one?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    As long as you're feeling fine I don' think it's a problem. If you start dragging or getting extra hungry, up your intake.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    12lbs in a month is on the high side.

How much do you have to lose?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    Look at your Net Average figure. Is it over 1200? If it's not, you're not eating enough calories and are putting yourself at serious risk of major health problems (if that's sustained). My main meals are filling, but mostly with veg and salad stuff. On the days when I spend an hour and a half in the gym, like today, I am seriously short when I look at my net calories. Having already had a big dinner, dessert and a couple of tangerines, I've just eaten a handful of peanuts, almonds and raisins just to boost my calorie count - but my net figure for today is still only 827. Helpfully, my average over the week is 1345 so I'm not worried that I'm doing any long term damage.
  • ksmommy5
    12lbs in a month is on the high side.

How much do you have to lose?

75 ideally.

My net calories for the past few weeks have been around 800. And my fitbit doesn't give my accurate adjustments until midnight so when I see 735 exercise calories without a gym day, I don't eat them back because I'm not 100% on the actual adjustment until the next morning.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Eat more. Get your net average over 1200. You know you're at 800, so start with adding about 200 calories a day and then add some more once you've got a handle on that.
  • ksmommy5
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Eat more. Get your net average over 1200. You know you're at 800, so start with adding about 200 calories a day and then add some more once you've got a handle on that.

I can't get the net up to 1200 because this fitbit doesn't sync up with the correct adjustment until I'm asleep. Example...today. goal: 1500. Food: 991. Exercise: 776 (I only went for a 3km walk which is only around 200 calories). Net: 215. What do I eat? It's 9pm. I already ate 3 meals today. Is this fitbit messing everything up?
  • annacole94
    If you've only ate 991 calories today, your job right now is to eat at least 210 calories before bed. The reality is that you can eat the 1500 calories every single day and lose weight. You're undereating. Never, ever eat less than 1200 calories and on days you exercise, you can eat more - like today, that's up to 1700. And you will lose.
  • ksmommy5
    edited February 2017
    If you've only ate 991 calories today, your job right now is to eat at least 210 calories before bed. The reality is that you can eat the 1500 calories every single day and lose weight. You're undereating. Never, ever eat less than 1200 calories and on days you exercise, you can eat more - like today, that's up to 1700. And you will lose.

But now I'm worried about this net of 215. My average nets since starting 35 days ago is between 500 and 800. On my gym days it's just weights at around 250 calories. On my active rest days I just tend to walk more: around 8k steps for the day. My fitbit comes off when I'm at the gym. 800 calories in exercise just by walking seems high.
  • annacole94
    To get an idea of what you've got to work with, on the app go to Nutrition>Calories>Net Calories>weekly. It will give you a value for "net calories under weekly goal". Those are the calories you could eat in the past 7 days that you didn't. So you can always "go over" by that amount and still be on your target.
  • ksmommy5
    To get an idea of what you've got to work with, on the app go to Nutrition>Calories>Net Calories>weekly. It will give you a value for "net calories under weekly goal". Those are the calories you could eat in the past 7 days that you didn't. So you can always "go over" by that amount and still be on your target.

Yes. It's around 4k. Am I under eating?! I am hungry like an hr after meals but I just wait it out.
  • annacole94
    That means you ate four thousand calories under your goal last week. Eat more. You'll feel better and get to keep your hair.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    then your fitbit isnt working correctly. when I exercise and then go to the app (I have the automatic updates shut off)I will sync it and it gives me my calories I burned from exercise as well as my steps.it should reset back to zero at midnight,it shouldnt sync up once you are asleep. go into the app and set it to all day sync.do you have negative calories enabled?. and also manually sync it from time to time in the app too.sometimes it doesnt automatically sync either
  • ksmommy5
    then your fitbit isnt working correctly. when I exercise and then go to the app (I have the automatic updates shut off)I will sync it and it gives me my calories I burned from exercise as well as my steps.it should reset back to zero at midnight,it shouldnt sync up once you are asleep. go into the app and set it to all day sync.do you have negative calories enabled?. and also manually sync it from time to time in the app too.sometimes it doesnt automatically sync either

Yes. It syncs all day. Even when I wake up it has exercise logged somehow. Negative calories are enabled. It just resets at midnight and I see the proper adjustment for the previous day. So today it says 700 exercise calories but tomorrow it will show 55 as an example. So good thing I didn't eat 50% of those 700 it says.
  • cwsweetpea27
    cwsweetpea27 Posts: 11 Member
    I am not understanding the net calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    ksmommy5 wrote: »

Yes. It syncs all day. Even when I wake up it has exercise logged somehow. Negative calories are enabled. It just resets at midnight and I see the proper adjustment for the previous day. So today it says 700 exercise calories but tomorrow it will show 55 as an example. So good thing I didn't eat 50% of those 700 it says.

when you see calories burned when you wake up(if you are wearing it while asleep) that is what your body burned while asleep. you burn calories 24/7 not just during exercise. like for me right now my fitbit(charge HR) says 2,456. thats counting my BMR and my steps/exercise.of course Im not sure if its correct or not due to having a metabolic disorder(Ive had it for 2 years). but I think what you are seeing is what your body burned while asleep,and your just being up and moving around through the day and when you exercise it would/should add more calories. Try turning off negative calories and see if it makes a difference and makes a little more sense for you.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    It depends on how you have your week set. If it's not a rolling week and you have it set for Sunday-Saturday or something...the week isn't over, lol...so of course you're under for the week :) How do you have it set?
  • annacole94
    It's a rolling week automatically. You'd have to change it to have something else.
  • ksmommy5
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    It depends on how you have your week set. If it's not a rolling week and you have it set for Sunday-Saturday or something...the week isn't over, lol...so of course you're under for the week :) How do you have it set?

I have it set for Sunday is new week. I did however have the time zones different so hopefully that will fix some issues.