Will a salad with dressing last long in the fridge?

Options
I made my big dinner salad earlier, dressing and all, and put it in the fridge, covered. I was waiting to eat it once my boiled egg was ready, but now I'm not hungry (had a couple of snacks, coffee, chocolate, etc.). Will the salad keep okay until lunch tomorrow? It's lettuce, tomato, black olives, cucumber, avocado, grated cheese, and sunflower seeds, with some dressing drizzled over it.

Thanks!

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    It'll be slightly less crisp, but still edible by lunchtime. I try not to pre-dress my salads for that reason. They last longer that way. Enjoy! :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was trying to save time, and thought I would eat it within 30 minutes. I'm already over calories for the day, so since I'm not hungry now I'd rather just save the calories.

Thanks! I'll see how it turns out tomorrow.
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I tried that the other day and the salad was welted by lunch the next day. Worth a shot thought. Maybe you'll have better luck
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP here--I had the salad for lunch today and it was great! A big bonus was not having to make a salad today! I hate putting them together, but love eating them, lol.

I had only drizzled dressing on top--it wasn't all over the lettuce. Maybe that helped?
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The longer it sits the more soggy it becomes, but it can last depending on the dressing and how much you put.
    My vinegar or citrus based salads break down the quickest due to acidity.
    Give it a try though :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The greens will probably be soggy/wilted. The other ingredients will probably be fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I made my big dinner salad earlier, dressing and all, and put it in the fridge, covered. I was waiting to eat it once my boiled egg was ready, but now I'm not hungry (had a couple of snacks, coffee, chocolate, etc.). Will the salad keep okay until lunch tomorrow? It's lettuce, tomato, black olives, cucumber, avocado, grated cheese, and sunflower seeds, with some dressing drizzled over it.

Thanks!

Depends........

What type of lettuce? Iceberg is so wimpy that it's kind of gross on a second day. Romaine is much more sturdy.

Salad in a mason jar recipes put the dressing on the bottom. Google that for ideas on make ahead salads.