Hi I'm jackie

Hi everyone I'm a newbie to this. I've always been slim up until I had major surgery in 2015. Since then I've gained almost 30lbs. I'm ready and determined to get rid of the extra pounds. If you would like I could use all the support and information.

Replies

• SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Hi! And welcome! We are all here to support and help. I've been a healthy lifer since the age of 16 except the last 2 years when I was just kind of fed up counting calories, fat, carb and this percentage and that percentage. Macro nutrients and I just threw caution to the wind for 2 years. I'm back, and up 10 pounds (soon hopefully down 10 and building muscle). The one single most important things I've learned is to stress to yourself that you're living a healthy lifestyle. Not that you're on a diet. When it becomes a lifestyle choice it kind of makes it (eventually) second nature to turn things you know you shouldn't have down, or to eat them in moderation as a treat. Logging meals and exercises doesn't take remembering, you just do it. It can be helpful to do some research, or ask specific questions here. Eating better is the first of many steps to being healthier in general and, of course, losing weight. Exercising is another. Myself, I don't go to the gym. I don't like it. I have tons of DVD's and now you can even find some for free online, and there are paid subscriptions to websites that have daily workouts for you or a long list of one's to choose from. You can get free weights, bands, kettle Bells, for strength or resistance training. Or you could go to a gym, walk or run. I'm sure there's tons more people here way more qualified to tell you more about this than me. And somewhere on here (maybe someone could point you in that direction or you could search it up at the top) where someone will be a sort of mentor to you. Help you get on the right track and get you on your way and through your weight-loss journey. The decision to lose weight and be healthy is a tough one, so congratulations on your decision to becoming a" better you"! You got this!
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Well done the first step is always the hardest now theres tons of different programs out there and mean tons lol it can seen overwhelming if you donfind a progran thats fun and sustainable thats great however heres some key points so yii can get started immediately with great sucess.. to lose weight you must create a caloric deficit through your diet ( burn more than you consume ) use mfp to track all foods eaten and from there aim for 500 deficit to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week thats sustainable
    Do strength training and lift heavy 6-10 rep range (dont worry you wont become bulky its very slow for even men to put on muscle and for female alot slower ) doing strength training will tone your body and create a list of to many benfits to name stick with sqauts bench press deadlift or any other compound even assisted machines
    Try to eat clean healthy foods if you can as i keep saying being in a deficit is the only important thing you need to lose weight you can do i eating junk or healthy however you will.be constantly craving have spirals in energy etc eating junk clean foods would be loads of veggies to keep you full healthy fruits , lean meats like chicken breast mince
    Endless Cardio funny enough is not nesicary as much as calorie counting it can aid at some point but for alot it makes you more hungry and more likeley to binge i personally do minimum

Yeah i think these tips can get to the body you want its easier than you think best wishes all the best
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I use cardio for my wine calories.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    I go by the following:
    1. Eat less (i.e. track intake);
    2. Move more (i.e. exercise);
    3. Stay hydrated;
    4. Get adequate rest; and
    5. Don't stress over it. Like all journeys, we are bound to trip and fall every now and again. It's what we do after the fall that determines whether or not we reach our destination.
  • got2loveme863
    got2loveme863 Posts: 28 Member
    theman900 wrote: »
    Well done the first step is always the hardest now theres tons of different programs out there and mean tons lol it can seen overwhelming if you donfind a progran thats fun and sustainable thats great however heres some key points so yii can get started immediately with great sucess.. to lose weight you must create a caloric deficit through your diet ( burn more than you consume ) use mfp to track all foods eaten and from there aim for 500 deficit to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week thats sustainable
    Do strength training and lift heavy 6-10 rep range (dont worry you wont become bulky its very slow for even men to put on muscle and for female alot slower ) doing strength training will tone your body and create a list of to many benfits to name stick with sqauts bench press deadlift or any other compound even assisted machines
    Try to eat clean healthy foods if you can as i keep saying being in a deficit is the only important thing you need to lose weight you can do i eating junk or healthy however you will.be constantly craving have spirals in energy etc eating junk clean foods would be loads of veggies to keep you full healthy fruits , lean meats like chicken breast mince
    Endless Cardio funny enough is not nesicary as much as calorie counting it can aid at some point but for alot it makes you more hungry and more likeley to binge i personally do minimum

Yeah i think these tips can get to the body you want its easier than you think best wishes all the best

Thanks