Any advice would really be appreciated

Options
I seem to have got myself into a constant battle with myself at the moment & am getting completely confused trying to read up on what I should & shouldn't do to get to where I need to be as everything says something different.
I'm 5'2 & was maintaining at around 114lb for quite a long time having around 1200-1400 calories most days (weekends I had extra treats) which I thought was fine, until I started to learn more about getting the right nutrician, when I started to look into these I started to notice different things in my body, signs that I haven't been getting enough, one main factor is lack of periods having stopped all contraception 2 years ago as we are trying for a baby, along with hair loss, dry nails etc, I think being so low calories obsessive has not benefitted me much at all despite being quite a happy weight. Having been told at the hospital I should not get any leaner at that point I took it that it wouldn't hurt to gain a little so had relaxed my intake a bit, gone up to 1670 calories a day (though being told to eat 2000 by the doctor but assumed this is because that's the average for a woman) and I have now gone up to weighing 118lb, I am also trying to eat more nutricious foods so to meet my macros each day but I am confused in the way that is it more important to have the full amount of calories or to meet macros? I'm unhappy with my shape now & feel I'm in the worst shape I've been for a while, I have quite an active job on my feet all day (8-10k steps a day according to Fitbit charge HR) so I am supposedly burning up to 2000 calories a day, but I really do not want to keep putting on more weight, I've been on the higher calories for coming up 2 weeks now, but have stopped going on my exercise bike & other workouts as the doctor seemed concerned I was pushing my body too much, but I am getting so wobbly & just feel horrible right now.
Really what I'd like is advice on calories, macros, and what types of workouts I should do to maybe drop 2-3lb but still be getting all the nutrician I need to be healthy enough regarding the fertility side of things too, I want to get my body healthy on that side of things but get back into a happier shape too, I need to possibly lose body fat & tone up at the same time but without burning extreme amounts of calories as I seem to burn quite a lot a day already, sorry for the long post, any advice would be so much appreciated!

Replies

• x_Vicky_x_86
    x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about gaining 4lb, then I think the main thing you need to tackle is your mindset, as that is not healthy. You are right in the middle of the ideal weight range for your height - you would not be considered overweight unless you went above 137lb. So yes, you can afford to eat more, and if I were you, I would trust your doctor at this point. The 4lb gain was almost certainly water weight increasing due to coming off a low calorie diet and is very unlikely to be fat.

Please, trust your doctor, follow their instructions, and do what you can to shift your focus away from weight loss (you do not need to lose weight) and onto achieving a healthy mindset and a good relationship with food. See what help your doctor can offer in terms of counselling to help that process.

Thank you for your advice, I am told on a regular basis by my husband & family I don't need to lose weight & have been working on being more comfortable with that side of things, I think I am ok with the weight gain just not the lack of muscle tone as I think I probably have quite a high body fat percentage despite not being overweight, so I guess it really would be focusing on toning/building muscle through some kind of strength training as advised too on here.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    If you're that worried about gaining 4lb, then I think the main thing you need to tackle is your mindset, as that is not healthy. You are right in the middle of the ideal weight range for your height - you would not be considered overweight unless you went above 137lb. So yes, you can afford to eat more, and if I were you, I would trust your doctor at this point. The 4lb gain was almost certainly water weight increasing due to coming off a low calorie diet and is very unlikely to be fat.

Please, trust your doctor, follow their instructions, and do what you can to shift your focus away from weight loss (you do not need to lose weight) and onto achieving a healthy mindset and a good relationship with food. See what help your doctor can offer in terms of counselling to help that process.

Thank you for your advice, I am told on a regular basis by my husband & family I don't need to lose weight & have been working on being more comfortable with that side of things, I think I am ok with the weight gain just not the lack of muscle tone as I think I probably have quite a high body fat percentage despite not being overweight, so I guess it really would be focusing on toning/building muscle through some kind of strength training as advised too on here.

Yes, that sounds like a good approach.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed I have changed shape though, as clothes are tighter, I'm rounder in the face, thighs are def bigger etc so I can't help but feel a bit urk about myself, but then I have stopped most of my working out and I don't go horse riding regularly which I used, just getting all wobbly! I will take things onboard though, I am going to try to get an appointment to see a dietician & talk it through with them too.