Lost momentum

Options
So since January 1st I've been doing incredibly well!
I was exercising frequently at home too

Last week I attended the gym for the first time this year and come back with one hell of a cold!
Nose blocked, headaches, hacking cough
I'm so annoyed

So although i reckon I've been within my calories because I've not ate much (because I can't even taste anything) I've now lost all motivation and momentum I had before
I'm worried when I'm better I won't have that anymore and it took a lot of hard work to have that in the first place due to depression.

What would you do to keep yourself boosted?

Replies

• Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    So since January 1st I've been doing incredibly well!
    I was exercising frequently at home too

Last week I attended the gym for the first time this year and come back with one hell of a cold!
    Nose blocked, headaches, hacking cough
    I'm so annoyed

So although i reckon I've been within my calories because I've not ate much (because I can't even taste anything) I've now lost all motivation and momentum I had before
    I'm worried when I'm better I won't have that anymore and it took a lot of hard work to have that in the first place due to depression.

What would you do to keep yourself boosted?

Set a goal weight and a goal date. Something reasonable and attainable. If you can, get a support group or partner who will keep you on task (very important). And lastly get ready for a fight...it's not going to be easy and it won't always be fun.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Aww, I'm sorry you're sick! That's the worst, especially when you feel like you're on a role and finally making some real progress only to have it derailed by illness or injury. Have definitely been there before!

What I would recommend is just staying within your calorie limit (while upping your intake of vitamin c and zinc of course), and take a break from the physical aspect of your weight loss journey and focus on the mental part. Get some books on weight loss or just personal transformation and increasing happiness and read those in bed while sipping tea. Make yourself an album of motivational fitness memes and images of how you hope your body will look when you're in good shape (healthy images please ...not scary anorexia thinspo...watch out for that stuff), so that you have it for inspiration when you're healed and ready to get back to it. Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Chug water like you've been lost in the desert for a week. Just take really good care of your body and home in on doing the mental stuff. Sometimes illness can be a good time to focus on other aspects of our well-being. :) Hope you feel better soon!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Do what has already worked for you: You whupped *kitten* on depression to get into a gym groove for the entire month of January. That's amazing! You can surely get back on track once you've kicked the cold.

Seriously, you probably didn't go to the gym 5 days a week the very first week. However you got started before may work for you again. It may take a little time to get back your full motivation, but you've already proven that you can do this.

(Bonus bit of Mom Advice, if you want it: Even after you're feeling better, drink tons of fluids, get some sleep, and try to keep your hands away from your face when you're at the gym!)