Using Fitbit with MyFitnessPal

Options
Hi all,

I've only just started getting serious with MFP and have got a Fitbit to help with my weight loss.

However, the last couple of days, I've worn the Fitbit while at the gym (which includes some cardio on a treadmill) to record my heart rate. At the end of the day, it's adding my total steps for the day and I add my workout. So, it's doubling up on calories burnt and giving false results on my daily diary.

Should I be taking off my Fitbit when I workout or is there some trick to avoid the double up?

Replies

• ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I suggest letting Fitbit do it all. I have been going that route for a while and it works with MFP and gives the calculations.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    there's a group on here for Fitbit users Cyn... i'll see if I can find the link and come back and post it.. might help with any questions about synching FB with MFP (I can't help I don't have one lol)

found it...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I either just let Fitbit record the exercise and not log it on MFP, or I delete Fitbit's activity log for that exercise and enter it on MFP.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    when you log your workout in MFP make sure you put in the correct time started, if this is accurate then fitbit and MFP should realize it is being double logged, but if you don't have the correct start time and duration they can't realize it is the same activity.
  • Loumossmfp78
    Loumossmfp78 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just let my fitbit record all exercise and log all food on mfp! Fitbit will automatically pick up your 5 main exercises and on the dashboard and then show them broken down, steps, running! Hope this helps
  • cyntech
    cyntech Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll check out the Fitbit group and see what I can work out! :)
    when you log your workout in MFP make sure you put in the correct time started, if this is accurate then fitbit and MFP should realize it is being double logged, but if you don't have the correct start time and duration they can't realize it is the same activity.

I think this is where I stuffed up. I'll keep that in mind for future workouts.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    cyntech wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I'll check out the Fitbit group and see what I can work out! :)

I think this is where I stuffed up. I'll keep that in mind for future workouts.

Also keep in mind that even with a logged workout on MFP, you still may get extra calories from a fitbit adjustment. These aren't doubling up exercise, but the calories you burned in daily activity that are above what MFP expected.

So hypothetical scenario:

MFP set to Active estimates a daily burn of 2117 without exercise.
    You do a workout and burn 300 cals. Log that in MFP.
    MFP thinks you should burn approximately 2417 calories for the day.

Fitbit tracks your day to day activity plus your workout. Fitbits says you most likely burned closer to 2700 and sends that to MFP.

MFP goes : 2700 - 2417 = 283 extra calories burned

So in your diary you will see:
    Logged exercise 300
    Fitbit Adjustment 283
    Total exercise calories 583

It's not doubling the exercise, but including an activity level adjustment with your exercise.

The opposite can also happen. We will use the same MFP info as before.
    However lets say this time you weren't as active as you claimed to be and Fitbit says your calorie burn is closer to 2200.
    MFP will: 2200 - 2417 = -217 calories less than expexted

So in your diary you will see:
    Exercise logged 300
    Fitbit Adjustment -217 or 0
    Total Exercise burn 83 or 300
    (Depends whether or not negative adjustments are on)
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I personally let Fitbit take care of the exercise calories but I like to log my workouts so I just enter them and manually put them down 1 calorie a piece...
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »
    I personally let Fitbit take care of the exercise calories but I like to log my workouts so I just enter them and manually put them down 1 calorie a piece...

@kali31337 - Be careful doing that. If you log a 30 min workout with 1 calorie burn that gets sent to fitbit and then fitbit literally thinks you only burned 1 calorie for those 30 mins (effectively erasing your exercise bur and bmr for that time period).

I have an example video on youtube were I wiped out several hours with a 1 cal exercise log on MFP. I can link it if you would like.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »

@kali31337 - Be careful doing that. If you log a 30 min workout with 1 calorie burn that gets sent to fitbit and then fitbit literally thinks you only burned 1 calorie for those 30 mins (effectively erasing your exercise bur and bmr for that time period).

I have an example video on youtube were I wiped out several hours with a 1 cal exercise log on MFP. I can link it if you would like.

Ooh thanks for the heads up...I haven't seen that happen yet but I will definitely keep an eye out!