Paleo? Yes or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• lmccarty94
    lmccarty94 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And that was all I ate yesterday unfortunately.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OK, it sounds like we found the answer. If you're not using a scale, you don't really know exactly how many calories you're eating.

Any digital food scale will do. Just make sure it measures in both grams and ounces. Since there are 28 grams per ounce, grams are more accurate so try to use them whenever possible. I use an Oxo 11 lb scale, which more expensive than other brands. I see the Ozeri scale mentioned here quite a bit. You can find both (and many others) on Amazon.

Once you get your scale, test out the food label thing. Weigh slices of bread, cookies, sausages, etc and compare those weights to what's listed on the food label. In most cases, you'll see that the food weighs more than the label says. Here's a quick video about why weighing food is so important. It's specifically about oatmeal, but the same rules apply to everything else I just mentioned. For liquids (juice, milk, cooking oil, etc), it's fine to use cups. But for any solid food or things like sugar, honey, flour, etc, weighing is more accurate.

Use your scale to weigh everything for a month and I think you'll start to see the numbers on the scale go down. Best of luck! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcB7GbLmIM
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Here's one more video that's really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnpUYmr0OM
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Now that we've established that you aren't using a food scale, and how and why to use one, I want to comment on your macro split. 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fat can only translate to a very unbalanced - meaning strange, boring, complicated and potentially low on essential nutrients - diet. Trainers are great for training, but they don't usually know that much about nutrition. Maybe you'd have to eat like that - for a short while - as part of competition prep, but as a completely normal and slightly overweight person, a completely normal diet with a slight calorie restriction will do just fine. Lower your protein to 20-25%, up your fat to at least 30%, and then go as high or low carb as you want. Eat whatever food you want and hit your calorie goal. Macros serve only as a guide to getting in proper nutrition.

Macro split/diet/nutrition will not, and I repeat, NOT, influence your weight loss directly, but it has a great influence on satiety, mood and energy, and thus willingness and ability to adhere to calorie restriction over time, which is what lowers your weight.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yep, definitely get a food scale and prepare to be shocked lol. I just bought a cheapy one at the grocery store (like $12) and it works great. Otherwise you can order one off of Amazon, or find them at Walmart, Target etc.