Logging 'walking' by distance, rather than by time - is it possible?

Options
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I'd like to log the distance I've walked. The only option I can see available is logging by time (and walk speed). Is there a distance option somewhere? Thanks :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    You can add it into "Other Measurements" - it's MY HOME > Check in

link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/change
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

link:

Thanks for this, but I don't get how I can alter measurements to log 10/12km of walking? I'm probably being dim, but does what you've linked to make it possible?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun.com to log walks and runs--it's owned by UA too and you can link it with mfp.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Put it in exercise notes
  • tar2323
    Options
    Put it in exercise notes

I can do that, but it doesn't then add cals to my food diary. I don't want to eat them all, but I'd like to see them there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    Put it in exercise notes

I can do that, but it doesn't then add cals to my food diary. I don't want to eat them all, but I'd like to see them there.

So log the exercise and don't eat the calories?
  • tar2323
    Options
    Put it in exercise notes

So log the exercise and don't eat the calories?

I'd simply like to log the exercise, have the calories burnt show up on my food diary, whether or not I eat any/all of them back - in the way that other exercise is logged for other people.

I can log walking by the time spent, but not walking by distance. I'm just a little surprised that there doesn't appear to be an option for this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Put it in exercise notes

Oh. There's no way to log calories by miles. If all you want is calories, you need Time and Pace, not just distance. Once you know your pace, you could create a new exercise and then it would calculate for you.

If all you are concerned with is miles, use my link above. You create a new "measurement." It will not calculate calories, it's just a way for people to track things like miles, reps etc.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Mapmywalk or Mapmyrun apps. Sync to MFP. It will show up on MFP as pace and time I think but the apps will use distance and pace.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Use a separate app like MapMyRun, MapMyWalk, or Endomondo (all UA apps) to track your distance. Once you connect them to MFP, your exercise calories will be added to your food diary automatically.
  • tar2323
    Options
    I'll do that. Thank you everyone for your help :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

link:

Thanks for this, but I don't get how I can alter measurements to log 10/12km of walking? I'm probably being dim, but does what you've linked to make it possible?

You have 2 of 3 values.....the distance and the general speed. Division can get you the time.

If I walked 10 miles and my general speed as 2.5 MPH (leisurely pace) then it took me 4 hours ( 10/2.5=4)

If you have the number of steps you could change your activity level....this ups your calories
    https://www.google.com/#q=activity+level+based+on+steps

There are km to step converters out there too.......
  • tar2323
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

link:

You have 2 of 3 values.....the distance and the general speed. Division can get you the time.

If I walked 10 miles and my general speed as 2.5 MPH (leisurely pace) then it took me 4 hours ( 10/2.5=4)

If you have the number of steps you could change your activity level....this ups your calories
    https://www.google.com/#q=activity+level+based+on+steps

There are km to step converters out there too.......

Thanks for this. I want it to note the cals earned through steps taken throughout an entire day. The majority of these are treadmill steps, some outside of the house, some inside general walking about. I don't want to change my activity level, as the number of steps per day will probably vary quite a bit, so I'd rather add them as exercise manually on a daily basis.

I know my stride length, how accurate both my trackers are at recording steps etc, how many steps I take per km (varies slightly of course) so have a reasonable picture of what I'm doing, I just wanted to be able to see them logged as extra cals available (whether or not I eat all/most/some back) in my food diary.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Logging by time is the same as logging by distance if you have your average pace correct. 45 minutes @ 15 minute miles is 3 miles. Log it as 45 minutes and you've logged 3 miles. You know how far you've gone, you know how long it took you, therefore, you know your average pace. Time = distance if you know your pace.