Ladies: Do you cheat during your period?

Options

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have one "splurge" meal per week. Now - if a couple pieces of chocolate fit into my calories that day, I will have them. Also I don't set my "splurge" meal to a certain day. Last week I splurged on a Sunday and then a Tuesday and then it was a long time until the next splurge but that's how my events were laid out. We're all human.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    No not during. The day or two prior to my period starting I have intense cravings for cookies and my self control is a huge issue. Then my period shows up and I'm like ohhhh that explains a lot lol. I don't go over my calories though usually, I just struggle more to stay within range. During my period I feel pretty normal though.
  • jenniferrichey2017
    jenniferrichey2017 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yup.. I gave up fighting it.. I've surrendered.. then get right back on track. It works .. and we are all happy because of it .. lol.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you can fit the calories for that chocolate into your eating plan without going over your calorie goal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just eat like I normally would. I wouldn't consider it cheating. Normally, I have days where I'm over, days where I'm under, days at maintenance, days with lots of junk, days with zero junk...etc. My diet is pretty flexible and changes based on my hunger level, my cravings, my social calendar, anything else life wants to throw at me...etc.

Right before my period I get hungrier so I eat more sometimes. During my period I'm often not as hungry in comparison so I just eat within calories most of the time, unless I don't, just like any other day of the month.

The kinds of food I eat differ based on what I feel like eating and what I have available. I don't like the feeling of living in a diet bubble and stepping out occasionally to breath (what you call cheating). I like my diet to be seamless and adaptable where high calorie days as well as low calorie days are just part of the whole process, no abrupt halts or changes that take me out of my eating character or rigidly pin me to one way of eating.
  • FruityFridays
    FruityFridays Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, also when hungover.
  • kiranVP
    kiranVP Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say but since I've started Keto... everything has changed.. I am not hungry since ketoing... but during periods too I can go on without food for hours... I dont even think of cheating.

I think Intermittent fasting plays a role here.. even on my period I manage to fast for 16-20 hours.

I have already lost 20 lbs on keto!
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am always starving leading up to period! Lol I'll eat all I want as long as I don't go over calorie intake :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. There's usually a day or the week before my cycle begins where I'll feel my appetite is bigger, on a very rare occasion I'll eat more that day but for the most part I just eat my allotted calories whether or not I'm on my cycle.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    What is cheat? I'm and adult and I make decisions about food. I either eat in a deficit, maintenance, or a surplus. I make what I want work, or I eat what I want and go over calories, or I pick something that fits better...or I pick a lot of things I think fit better and still go over calories. Or not.

It's up to you. You want to eat a cupcake and stay in a deficit? Do it. You won't gain weight. You want to have a maintenance day? You will still lose weight for the week because you were in a deficit overall.

I was going to say all of this but bbell1985 said it much better than I could. So, this ^^^
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If I cheated every time I got my period my weight loss amount would be about 20% less. Why would I do that? About all I do is have an easy day on Day 1, incorporate chocolate into diet, (oh my goodness does it taste good that week) and keep going.
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever crave sweets is right before my period. Oh how I used to pig out on anything I could find in the cupboards......
    Since starting my weightless plan, I have found newer, healthier sweets to satisfy my cravings around Aunt Flo. I will take a light vanilla yogurt (90 cals), a half banana (45-60 caps depending on size), and 4 tbs light whipped topping (50 cals) and make a mini dessert totaling 185 cals. Or I will eat mandarin oranges with my whipped topping (130 cals), or sugar free chocolate pudding (60 cals). I have learned to find healthier ways to satisfy my sweet craving and stay within my deficit. It has worked for me and whipped topping has become my friend lol.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    No? It doesn't matter where I am in my cycle, I eat however many calories is appropriate and carry on. When I was actively losing, if I followed through with my calorie goals I would gain water weight with AF, and then lose it all and continue my downward trend. I'm not hungrier with hormone changes that I've noticed.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Shark week usually kills my appetite, so no 'cheating' per se. Do whatever works for you, within reason and good luck!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    kiranVP wrote: »
    Sorry to say but since I've started Keto... everything has changed.. I am not hungry since ketoing... but during periods too I can go on without food for hours... I dont even think of cheating.

I think Intermittent fasting plays a role here.. even on my period I manage to fast for 16-20 hours.

I have already lost 20 lbs on keto!

Doesn't fasting cause someone to gain more weight after the diet is over??
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cheat is fine for me. As long I am being honest to install the precise calories in take that day. Fast self actualization will help my weight improvement usually
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Personally using the cheat word isn't good as it's meant to be a lifestyle change cheating suggests it's not
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Shark week usually kills my appetite, so no 'cheating' per se. Do whatever works for you, within reason and good luck!

Good to know I am not the only one who calls is Shark Week :D

As to the OP... It's not about "cheating" it's about finding something that fits your needs and your goals. I am under 100g of carbs per day (not net). I usually want ice cream... so instead of Ben and Jerry's I have Halo Top Salted Caramel . It fits my macros and I get to have what I want. Or instead of Salt and Vinegar Lays chips I have Trader Joes Parsnip Chips w/ Pickles.
    I am a bit new to the game (60 days logged) but I have lost almost 30lbs and I have had ice cream most of those days.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not so much anymore. I'm not sure what changed. I will eat up to maintenance calories if I'm starving, but I don't seem to get that way very often. I don't crave things like I used to, either. Not sure if it's the exercise or the healthier diet, or what.
  • M1ssdanni
    M1ssdanni Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I would eat at maintenance during