Stopped Keto, but still but still having same problem (keto breath)

Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I didn't quite know how to title this thread... Last year I did keto for 4 mths, but quit due to constant keto breath! My husband commented each and every time he caught a whiff, and it got to the point that I avoided being too close to him as i was so embarrassed. I have always been super meticulous with oral hygiene and had never, ever suffered from bad breath before.

Fast forward 11 months later, and nearly every time i let my carbs get below 125ish the keto breath comes back, I up my carbs the next day and it goes away!Have i done some kind of permanent damage to myself? Why would this still be happening, and so quickly, nearly 12mths later? I went through my diary before i went low carb, and there were plenty of days here and there where my carbs were on the very low side, but i never had this problem then..

I seem to have the opposite problem to so many, I now have to keep my carbs UP instead of low/moderate. If i keep my carbs above 140g everything is fine, zero breath problems.

I go to the dentist twice a year for a check up and cleaning, and everything is A ok there. I'm so humiliated even asking this question, as i hate being near people that don't have fresh breath, it is a huge deal for me.

Replies

• Christine_72
    ^^ Good points. I'm blaming the carbs, but it could something else entirely and it's just a big ol coincidence.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Halitosis can be caused by a whole host of things. Since it's been 11 months, it's likely not holdover Keto breath. It's probably best to speak to your dentist about this.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    It may not be a bad idea to check in with your doctor. Bad breath can be more than just oral hygiene issues
  • Christine_72
    I've checked in with my dentist, he can't find a problem. Haven't asked my doctor though.

But why would this happen only during the times my carbs are low, and goes away when i up them and keep them there. As said, it could be a total coincidence. I'll ask my doctor next time for sure.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Just eat carbs. No biggie.
  • Christine_72
    Orphia wrote: »
    Just eat carbs. No biggie.

True, that's what I've been doing.

One other tidbit of info is if i take chlorophyll tablets i can eat zero carb with no breath problems, they really are magic when it comes to this problem. But i don't particularly want to rely on those as a bandaid fix forever.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I can't remember if this affected you, but I know excess protein can cause bad breath too.

What else... mouth breathing, food choices, dehydration, oral hygiene, pitted tonsils or pouches in the throat, postnasal drip. I don't know. :(
  • Christine_72
    I keep hearing about postnasal drip, how do you know if you have this?
  • nvmomketo
    I think some feel it but some don't. If you do a fair bit of throat clearing in the morning, that can be it. Coughing, stuffed nose, snoring, and some hoarseness. Allergies are often a cause.
  • Christine_72
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think some feel it but some don't. If you do a fair bit of throat clearing in the morning, that can be it. Coughing, stuffed nose, snoring, and some hoarseness. Allergies are often a cause.

Oh jeez, I constantly clear my throat in the mornings, I also have hayfever and have sneezing fits throughout the day. No snoring or stuffed nose though. I am definitely going to look into this further.

Thank you so much for your help.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    What is the smell. If it smells "bad" like decaying meat then it's likely a nitrogen compound connected to protein. Acetone from keto smells fruity. A cheapo breathalyser will probably measure acetone and health professionals should recognise it.
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2017
    It's definitely not acetone or fruity :wink: I don't notice or taste anything, it's just the husbands comments..

The annoying thing is that he's the only one who comments on it. I roped in my mum, sister and kids and they all said my breath was fine, and they would definitely tell me. Sometimes i wonder if there's something wrong with HIM hmmmpphh
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I'm having a similar problem and after reading here I think I need to see a doctor and dentist. I brush twice a day and use mouthwash and my carbs really aren't that low but I experience this every day where I'm in a deficit. When I over ate last weekend (logged as 3k cals) I didn't notice it at all. My husband even says it doesn't smell, I made him Pinky swear, but my mouth tastes like metal and im hating it. My carbs really don't go that low, they're just mostly from veggies these days. I'm so frustrated! I quit keto due to the breath issue too and now this!
  • Christine_72
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I'm having a similar problem and after reading here I think I need to see a doctor and dentist. I brush twice a day and use mouthwash and my carbs really aren't that low but I experience this every day where I'm in a deficit. When I over ate last weekend (logged as 3k cals) I didn't notice it at all. My husband even says it doesn't smell, I made him Pinky swear, but my mouth tastes like metal and im hating it. My carbs really don't go that low, they're just mostly from veggies these days. I'm so frustrated! I quit keto due to the breath issue too and now this!

Yep, i get that metal taste too, especially in the morning. What's your average carb intake?
  • nvmomketo
    Glad you solved it! :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Wow! Super sleuth!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Glad you figured it out!
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    When my wife drinks coffee her breath is so bad I cant even handle sitting beside her in the car.When she cut's the coffee her breath is fine.