Best protein shakes / powder for lean muscle growth & weight loss (if it exists)

I have been struggling to understand what protein shakes are good before a workout, after a workout and in between. Some say protein skaes are pointless, others say they are priority in a diet. I am wanting to loose weight while also slowly building muscle. Any comments / suggestions / ideas on how to go about protein shakes / powders and what you believe is the best for this lifestyle is much appreciated!!

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Building muscle (caloric surplus) is difficult while losing weight (caloric deficit). Not impossible! Just difficult.
    If you're around 17-20% BF, bulk a little.
    If you're around 25-30% BF, cut a little.

Protein in any form is good after training.
    Protein shakes simply makes it easier to get your protein macros up.
    Personally, I'd get protein and carbs after training to fuel recovery.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Protein alone will not build muscle to build muscle you need to train muscle
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited February 2017
    Protein shakes are only for increasing your protein macros. They will not make you grow muscles - only a progressive weight/resistance training program and calorie surplus will cause muscle hypertrophy. That being said the RDA for protein is set very low and should be higher. If you want to lose weight you will have to cut down to a weight you feel good at (with a calorie deficit)and then bulk (calorie surplus) to build muscle. Some people will also suggest recomp (losing fat and building muscle), but this is a long process. Depends on your ultimate goal (health, physique, competing). Start lifting and get more protein (0.8g/pound body weight). And it doesn't matter when you get your protein in as long as you hit your goal macro.

ETA: there are no magical special protein shakes/powders out there. Get one you like and go with it. You don't need to spend a ton either with an MLM. Quest is one of my favorites. Mixes well and has good macros.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    I only use protein shakes to help me get to my daily goal. Otherwise, I'm a fair bit under most days. They can get up there in calories (I mix mine with 10 oz of unsweetened almond coconut milk for 170 calories), so I have to plan accordingly. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream. Mixes very well in a shaker.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Working muscle builds muscle.

There is no miracle shake or superfood.

Eat a variety of foods within the limits to lose weight and exercise.
  • Mericangirl125
    Mericangirl125 Posts: 2 Member
    I am 67-year-old woman who have been on Herbalife happily for a year. Two shakes daily plus one healthy meal. I lose SLOWLY. Lost 21 pounds so far. Anyone else doing Herbalife? Age, of corse, is factor. I walk 2 miles daily, sometimes 4. Doing my best, but would love some encouragement.
  • cherylhobby
    cherylhobby Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2017
    I do herbalife as well. I do the protein shakes and the chia tea. I also did the 21 day balancing program when I first started. I want to add prolessa duo to my shakes. I heard amazing things about it. Feel free to add me as a friend or message me.
  • missmyzte
    missmyzte Posts: 4 Member
    I really like the VegaOne and Vega Sports lines. I have a mocha-flavored VegaOne protein shake everyday for breakfast. Even my trainer, who says he hates protein shakes because I should be getting all my nutrients through real food, said that I picked a great shake. Vega Sport has an energizer (acai berry flavored) and electrolyte hydrator (berry flavored). The first I put in water and drink about 20 minutes before my workout, the second I add to the water that I drink during my workout. Between all, they keep me going well. I can tell a HUGE difference when I miss one of them.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    I prefer Dymatize or ON's. both are low carb and don't have a bunch of fillers mixed in. They actually taste good too. Mix with water and boom, you have a low carb, high protein shake!

To add to what others have said. Your eating needs to be on point with your goals and you need to be on a program that is compatible with your goals.

Don't use the shakes as a crutch for not eating your cals for the day. If you do use as a meal replacement make sure you have some healthy carbs and fats with it.
    Plan your meals. Meal prep is a must or will make poor choices when you get hungry.