Have a hard time taking days off from working out.

Options
Anyone else? I've been in the "fit and healthy" game for a long time. From 16 and I'm about to be 31. From March of 2015 until Monday of this week I "took a break". I hadn't intended for it to be so long, but it was what it was. It was freeing in a way to not count calories etc. I ate whatever, whenever. While I'm not an over eater and am active aside from working out in my daily life, I did manage to put on 10 pounds and SEVERAL inches. I cried and then decided it was time. So I've been logging and lifting and exercising like I used to. Well, not like I used to. My workouts previous to my "break" didn't feel like torture. Now, I'm hurting. Lol. I know it'll get better. One thing I've always struggled with is taking days off. And allowing myself to "cheat" or eat excess calories, which is probably what led to my needing the "break" in the first place. I'm not good at taking days off, I'm not good at telling myself "it's OK to have that piece of cake, or that muffin etc." Yesterday was my day off. And truthfully I almost obsessively thought about working out. If I hadn't been so sore from the knees up I probably would have. It brought up old feelings from before. Thinking about it had me realizing that before I didn't take days off, and I know that's not good. I know I probably pushed some progress back by not allowing my muscles time to regroup. And that ultimately I derailed myself from my healthy life because I am such a tyrant to myself. Is anyone else like this? I'm ashamed to even tell you guys because I feel like a crazy person. But, I know if I don't get a hold on it that I'll get tired of it all again and take another "break". Any advice?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,001 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day ... but I vary what I do so I don't feel like I need a break.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't think i've had that level of struggle with it. but in a more ordinary way, yes i've had times when it's been hard not to sneak in to the gym for 'just a little' workout.

you could try thinking of those extra workouts as 'cheating' on your long-term plan, i guess. just like 'cheating' on a calorie budget. idk if that's really the healthiest attitude though. it's kind of like using your own tyranny against yourself for a 'good' cause. which is fine except it kind of re-validates the tyranny style of living.

the way i came to look at it after a while was more like a money model. i pretend my regular workouts are like retirement savings - they're an investment. and they earn interest, aka growth, whatever 'growth' means to me at a given time. the model kind of breaks down at this point :tongue: but i try to stick to the general idea that you don't get very far if you keep spending your interest before it can compound. plus, you definitely should not dip into your capital.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i don't think i've had that level of struggle with it. but in a more ordinary way, yes i've had times when it's been hard not to sneak in to the gym for 'just a little' workout.

you could try thinking of those extra workouts as 'cheating' on your long-term plan, i guess. just like 'cheating' on a calorie budget. idk if that's really the healthiest attitude though. it's kind of like using your own tyranny against yourself for a 'good' cause. which is fine except it kind of re-validates the tyranny style of living.

the way i came to look at it after a while was more like a money model. i pretend my regular workouts are like retirement savings - they're an investment. and they earn interest, aka growth, whatever 'growth' means to me at a given time. the model kind of breaks down at this point :tongue: but i try to stick to the general idea that you don't get very far if you keep spending your interest before it can compound. plus, you definitely should not dip into your capital.

I love the way you put that. Thanks! I have diagnosed OCD so it makes things hard for me. It's mostly me just HAVING to have my house spotless. Or being Uber organized. I wouldn't say I have any odd habits from it other than what I stated, but every aspect of my life is planned out. Granted things don't always go as planned, but having one makes me so much less anxious than "winging" it. Not being organized makes me very anxious. I've gotten better about it as I've had a child and gotten older, but it's still something I struggle with. It's been something of a time to deal with. Looking at it your way just may help me rationalize how I cope with the obsessive thoughts of working out and going a little easier on myself with "treats". I truly appreciate your reply!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    :tongue: yeah, i've come to think of it as 'hoarding rest'. it's made me much more motivated to save up the nickels and dimes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's a massive difference between a rest day and a cheat day.

Depending on your routine, active rest is usually fine. If you don't like having such a different number of calories on rest days to exercise days use a tdee calculation and eat the same number regardless.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have trouble taking days off. But I force myself to because I want this to be a lifelong thing and I know if I didn't give myself a rest day that I will burn myself out. Currently I make Monday and Friday my rest days but I've been seriously debating adding Fridays back in. I tell myself that I'll add every other Friday in but I don't know if I could stick to that. I just love the gym. I love working out. I love the feeling I get when I work out. It's my happy place, so forcing myself to skip it makes me unhappy. But I force myself any way.
  • lobsterthang999
    lobsterthang999 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Yes I have been there before and I feel your pain. Im in a much better place and am only exercising 3 times a week now martial arts, boxercise and jogging. On my days off I love not having to work out and instead take the kids or the dog out for a walk, it helps me to still feel active without the pressure of having to fit in a workout. I have been thinking of doing a very small strength training session in the week but am cautious as I dont want my workouts to creep back up again. Its all a balancing act but I really dont want to go back there again and I would encourage you to have at least 2 workout free days a week. I do find going for a walk helps me to stop obsessing about doing a workout as I feel like it stretches out my muscles if they are sore so its still benefitting me!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to see "rest" days as active recovery/mobility/stretching days. Set aside the time, still do something towards your goals, but not something that is going to beat you down.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It has been very hard in the past... but I realised that after two days off, I lose weight (!) and I m way more efficient for my next work out, so resting really works for me :) it allows me to improve.
    but I know everyone is different, listen more your body, he will tell you when you need to rest - give it a go!
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    for me its one day gym one day yoga, gym kills me yoga resurrects me
  • petete101
    petete101 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think all of us can get a little obsessive about the gym, particularly if you enjoy going to the gym. I actually like it, and like you I can be obsessive about it however I also know it's smart to allow your body to rest and recover otherwise you and your body will get burnt. I try to go to the gym 4days a week. About a cheat meal, I think it's ok to do that! You want this to be long term and not restrictive, you still have to live your life. Plus have you heard of the whoosh effect?
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I also find it hard to take a rest day as do my gym friends. I do mix up my classs between my 3 Bodypump classes I'll do spinning, yoga, treadmill, circuits, body attack, swimming etc

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Finding balance can be hard for many. *In my opinion* the best thing you can do is really focus/meditate on figuring out a way to be okay with things like taking a rest/recovery day and eating enjoyable foods in moderation. Again, that can be hard, but to be successful long-term, you'll need to find a way to balance out those negative feelings associated with food, exercise, and resting.

I'd also like to note that if you "took a break" for nearly two years and only managed to put on 10 pounds, you've had great success at what many would consider, "maintenance." That's not even a tenth of a pound gain per week. I think you can be very successful if you could choose to live how you lived for those two years and merely incorporate a regular exercise regime to put yourself into a bit of a calorie deficit.

Good luck to you going forward!