Losing weight but my mirror hasn't gotten the memo!

Options
I'm always looking for more "fitness pals" so please add me if you'd like for me to cheer on your successes!

I’m on day 72 (Week 10)

I’ve gone down at least one dress size (Was a size 28, am now a size 26) My wedding rings are noticeably looser around my finger. I’m able to maintain a speed of 3.5 miles per hour to complete my daily mile on my treadmill (which comes out to 17 minutes total) compared to my original 2mph speed a month or so ago. All in all, I’ve lost a grand total of 35 pounds in 10 weeks. An average of 3.5 pounds lost per week!

Despite all of this excellent progress I find myself getting slightly discouraged from time to time. I guess it’s because I can’t see a physical change yet. The numbers are moving down but my mirror hasn’t received the memo!! Is what I’m doing even working? (I know the answer, just have to wonder sometimes…)

It’s easy to get discouraged. I've been perusing the “Success Stories" section of the MFP forums a lot lately. I can’t wait to be able to post my own before and after shots. Tumblr has a plethora of like-minded individuals as well. Speaking of which, I've recently discovered that I apparently have a “fitblr", something I didn’t know was a thing. I’m only 25 years old but I feel desperately out of touch when it comes to the newer lingo.

Since I’m in need of a VISUAL, I've made myself a calendar and listed my weight loss achievements. Now that I can see my progress on paper I can see that my battle has only just begun. Before I saw this calendar I guess I felt that I’d been doing this healthy lifestyle for a lot longer than I really have. 10 weeks sounds like a long time but to see it laid out on a calendar, it’s really not much time at all. Not as much as I thought, anyway.

It helps to know that despite the short amount of time, I've managed to lose a good amount of weight.

I also like to look at my progress graph on MFP. I can’t tell you how much satisfaction I get out of staring at the darned thing and seeing the little downward slope it’s taking. It really helps me stay on track because if I want to continue seeing that graph move downward, I obviously have to keep up with my paleo diet and exercise regime.

Replies

• ahopefulloser
    ahopefulloser Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mqb0jshTkV1sr9k1ao1_500.jpg
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Did you take a before picture? If not, do so NOW! The before pictures are the biggest motivators when your mind "thinks" you aren't getting results! So if you missed the opportunity in the beginning, do it today, so a month from now you can compare! I know your body is changing and I know the difference is noticeable! 35 lbs is a lot. But without an image to compare it to, you won't see it because it's a gradual change.
  • xjoseyx
    xjoseyx Posts: 74
    Options
    Way to go on your weightloss so far. Thats awesome!! I too look at the success stories as inspiration. Youre doing great. Your mind will catch up with your numbers. You probably do look different but you just dont realise it yet. Keep on keeping on. :smile:
  • ahopefulloser
    Options
    Did you take a before picture? If not, do so NOW! The before pictures are the biggest motivators when your mind "thinks" you aren't getting results! So if you missed the opportunity in the beginning, do it today, so a month from now you can compare! I know your body is changing and I know the difference is noticeable! 35 lbs is a lot. But without an image to compare it to, you won't see it because it's a gradual change.

Yes ma'am! I took one on July 2nd and I'm very excited to take another one on August 2nd to see the difference. Thank you :D

Way to go on your weightloss so far. Thats awesome!! I too look at the success stories as inspiration. Youre doing great. Your mind will catch up with your numbers. You probably do look different but you just dont realise it yet. Keep on keeping on. :smile:
    Thank you for your kind words :)
  • dgagnon62
    dgagnon62 Posts: 12
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss! You should be proud of yourself! Being so young, and doing something about it now will help you when you get older!
    As for not seeing the loss in the mirror, the dropped size should say something! You are losing obviously.....everyone loses differently, and depending on how much you have to lose, you will see it come from different parts, but seeing you are exercising, you are tightening, losing and it's all happening at once!
    I have lost 33 lbs......I have been on here since March I think, but really started losing in December, so it's been 7 months for me. I have only 2 more lbs or so until I reach my goal or the goal I set back then. Now, it has only been in the last few weeks, that I have dropped clothing sizes, which you would think is strange, but I fit into size ten for the longest time, but all of a sudden, I dropped down to size 8 and then size 6......boom.....I was getting discouraged with not moving sizes, even though my scale moved, and didn't think I was showing weight loss, but everyone around would comment, so I know I was. I think we just don't see what everyone else sees.
    Keep up the good work! Never compare yourself to anyone on here......We all react differently to the loss......the weight shifts and sits differently. Age, children, etc have something to do with a lot.....so don't get discouraged at all! Be proud!
    Set goals for yourself and treat yourself when you reach the goal.....a manicure, pedicure, something other than clothes.....to make yourself feel pretty! I will friend you to see how you are doing! I am proud of you!
  • ahopefulloser
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss! You should be proud of yourself! Being so young, and doing something about it now will help you when you get older!
    As for not seeing the loss in the mirror, the dropped size should say something! You are losing obviously.....everyone loses differently, and depending on how much you have to lose, you will see it come from different parts, but seeing you are exercising, you are tightening, losing and it's all happening at once! ...

Aww, thank you so much for taking the time out to write such a thoughtful response. I really appreciate it!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate: picture are crucial! I had lost 20 lbs before I "saw" a change in the mirror, but when I look at my pictures, the change is noticeable after the first 5.

Just like many people don't see how large they are when they look in the mirror, you also don't see how much smaller you are either. The brain's body picture is very powerful and slow to change. Keep up the good work!
  • mcrumpsf
    mcrumpsf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do not get discouraged! Keep going and soon the mirror will catch up :)
  • janinealfke
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I think our minds don't catch up with our bodies for quite some time. I have lost almost 300 lbs and although I can see it in the mirror now, I still see myself as very fat. I don't like that, but it's the nature of the beast. I've lost weight quickly through RNY Gastric bypass so my mind has yet to catch up. Yours will!!! Try to be patient, and use the graphs when you need to see how well you are actually doing. Your mind WILL CATCH UP...it just takes time...hang in there!!

Janine Alfke
  • sherigambino
    sherigambino Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It will come. Just think how long it took you to gain the weight. Just keep pluggin away and it will come off. :) Feel free to friend me if you need a support buddy.
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the more you have to lose the longer it takes to see a difference. I have lost 20lbs and I don't feel like I look at all different and no one has noticed yet. But I still have a lot to lose. Versus years ago when I went down from 185 to 170lbs and there was much more of a difference in just those 15lbs and everyone was asking if I lost weight.

For me I find it crucial to track inches along with weight. I do also notice clothing getting looser and if you go down a size you must be making progress. Keep going :)

Funny you mentioned your calendar. I actually have been putting stickers on my physical calendar every day I workout. It is fun to have a visual. My goal is to work out at least 4 days per week but I am really shooting for 5. If I get 6 it's a stellar week. By having the calendar with the stickers I can see if I am making it happen. I can pat myself on my back and think to myself that I am getting more fit even if the scale or mirror doesn't always reflect my hard work.

Keep it up and I bet within another 10lbs you'll start to see some changes. I also agree pictures are definitely worth taking!
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing already!

I've read that it is so much harder to see weight loss in yourself because you see yourself in the mirror every single day, so you see yourself at -1 lb, -3 lbs, -5 lbs all the way to -30 lbs and more. That's why pictures are so helpful and inspiring, because you see the difference of 30 lbs side by side, instead of a gradual difference.
    It's also why it is easier for people (especially people you don't see super often) to see a difference, when you can't.

Don't get discouraged! And great idea with the calendar.
  • gogo99999
    gogo99999 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep chugging. Results will come.