Dole chopped salad kits - vegetable only nutrition data???

Options
I have been buying and enjoying a couple of the various blends - a mix of cabbage/kale/lettuce/radicchio and other vegetables - and DISCARDING the "extras" in there - the dressings/nuts/cheeses/bacon bits.

I can find semi-equivalent salad mixes to approximate the nutrition information, but I'd really like to know EXACTLY what I'm eating in terms of calories, carbs, and protein. It's hard to know for sure when it just says "salad blend" or "salad mix" or "salad kit" anyway - sometimes I just take a stab at something that seems pretty low in calories per cup and hope it's about like what I'm eating.

Anyone know where to find the information - Dole doesn't break it down on the label or online, it just gives nutrition per 1/4 of the total kit contents (well, 1 serving out of 3.5 per package, actually).

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its all the add ins that have the calories. the lettuce spinach, carrots, etc have next to no calories.

my rough guess, would be 200ish for the entire bag of greens, and that might be on the high side

otherwise, separate it all out and weigh it all individually.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    If you only want the greens why not buy one of the bags of mixed greens or something..it will have the calories for what is in there and no wasting money on stuff you're throwing out?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. If you are only eating the greens, just measure how much you are eating and log it all as cabbage or kale or something. Lettuce, cabbage, kale, spinach, radicchio, are all very low calorie, carb, and protein and all have similar profiles (maybe 35 calories in 100 g?). If you really want to be a stickler, you could guesstimate the amount of each component in your salad and use the USDA database to get the most reliable numbers for each. Not worth it IMO. Salad is in the noise. Log the dressing.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    its all the add ins that have the calories. the lettuce spinach, carrots, etc have next to no calories.

my rough guess, would be 200ish for the entire bag of greens, and that might be on the high side

otherwise, separate it all out and weigh it all individually.

Actually the entire bag (if it's around 10oz) comes in at about 60 calories.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    If you only want the greens why not buy one of the bags of mixed greens or something..it will have the calories for what is in there and no wasting money on stuff you're throwing out?

That^^. Why spend the money and then throw it out??
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »

That^^. Why spend the money and then throw it out??

Oh - that's an easy one! The grocery store where I do most of my shopping only offers the Dole kits. I would buy just the vegetable blend if they had it, Dole or any other brand. FWIW, quite often they have them marked half price or even less when they are a couple days from hitting the out date, and they are fine - I'm not too proud!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Doesnt your grocery store offer fresh lettuce of various kinds, carrots, radishes, etc? Thats all thats in those kits - maybe some cabbage too. Make your own! Cheaper, fresher and you know whats in it and what the calories are. All you have to do is a little chopping.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Doesnt your grocery store offer fresh lettuce of various kinds, carrots, radishes, etc? Thats all thats in those kits - maybe some cabbage too. Make your own! Cheaper, fresher and you know whats in it and what the calories are. All you have to do is a little chopping.

Time crunch! When I buy produce "on the hoof" so to speak, I tend to throw a lot of it out - it sounds like a good idea at the time, but I never find the time or energy to prepare it - then it goes bad. At least when I buy the ready-to-eat stuff I actually eat it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Time crunch! When I buy produce "on the hoof" so to speak, I tend to throw a lot of it out - it sounds like a good idea at the time, but I never find the time or energy to prepare it - then it goes bad. At least when I buy the ready-to-eat stuff I actually eat it.

I agree with that. I do the same thing, usually I am making lunch for work and in a rush. Takes too much time to cut up all that stuff...I just want to open a bag and dump it in the container. :)