Garcinia Cambogia - does it work?

Options

Replies

• mikieytc
    Options
    Ok so i took it as directed with diet and excersise for 4 weeks
    and only Gained weight
    Just another gimic fools like me fall for. Since I have stopped the pill and kept on diet and excersise I am seeing a few pounds come off, much slower than I'm told it should be coming off with my level of excersise and caloric intake, not sure what else to do to ecelerate this weight loss supposed to be 2 lbs a week--but more like .5 lb per week if that, so discouraged!!!!!!!!!!!
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    i took it for a few months and it acted as a mild appetite suppressant. i would advise you to save your money. also, i think a lot of the "real" reviews for the product, are fabricated. be wary of "GET ONE FREE BOTTLE" cons.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've taken GC off/on since July 2013. But I have also religiously followed the diet my nutritional doctor gave me along with a lot of walking. When I have finished a bottle, I took between 10 days and 2 weeks off. I have had consistent weight loss and have hit no plateaus. So I cannot definitely attribute any loss strictly to my any of the 3 things I am doing. However, I can say that I have tried weight watchers, and just about every single other diet that's out there and I have never had success like I've had thusfar and have never dieted without hitting a plateau. I do believe that the GC has helped with decreasing my appetite and has reduced any cravings I had in the beginning. I recently had surgery and the doctor suggested I stop the GC for ten days prior, so I've now been off for about 2 1/2 weeks. I haven't gained, in fact have lost, so I am thinking I will hold off on starting again just to see how things go without it. I've been thinking maybe I continued just for a crutch. If my loss slows down, I will give it a go again. Maybe it works differently for different people??
  • LINDAMTODD24
    Options
    First off GC is supposed to be an appetitie surpressant, not something that makes you lose fat. I, for one need something to reduce my appetite. Just ordered a bottle. I'll let you know if it works.

As for losing weight, I lost 100 pounds over a year ago. Regained it back because I turned my focus from me to the *kitten* of a husband (now ex). He put me through hell and back - left me and played games. FIrst he wanted to come back, then he didn't....it was a nightmare. Anyway, from all of that I regained my weight that I worked so effing hard to lose!! I started working out again 2 weeks ago...starting to get energy back, which makes me very happy.

All I can say is never again. Focus will remain on me always.
  • kbailey555
    Options
    There is some research that shows it works, but the National Institute of Health points out that those studies are small-scale and of short duration and that they shouldn't be taken for gospel (as nothing should.) I wrote an article about Garcinia Cambogia that explains what it is and how it works, what the placebo-controlled studies show and what the National Institute of Health says about it. It also explains what to look for in a quality Garcinia cambogia extract, and the optimum dosage for effectiveness. The article is here:

http://tulipsandtantrums.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-truth-about-garcinia-cambogia.html
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried this? i can't find any negative feedback on the internet but like all these products it sounds far too good to be true! :ohwell:

http://wafflesatnoon.com/2013/03/08/garcinia-cambogia-side-effects/
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A few days ago someone else was asking about this stuff. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1213351-my-1st-post-please-i-need-help

Please specifically note this reply:
    Right off the bat - NO there is no shortcut pill.

Since I'm bored, I checked out what the National Toxicology Program had to say about this stuff.. Side effects they mention include arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), rhabdomyolysis (destruction of muscle fibers that leads to them being in your bloodstream, in turn causing kidney damage), and hypokalemia (potassium deficiency)

In animal trials – no weight differences were found between a treated group and a control group after four weeks, but the treated group had lower insulin and leptin levels from taking it.. Increased serotonin levels in vitro (just in case youre planning more children)

So short version, this stuff has the potential to really mess you up and going by the animal trials, wont help you lose weight. Plus it's pushed by Dr Oz, which is a red flag all by itself.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/GarciniaCambogiaExt_508.pdf

ETA: The above link is from the National Institute of Health, which is way more credible than most sources I've seen mentioned so far. If you don't believe that, well, do as you will. Just be very careful taking supplements like this, as they are NOT regulated, and often don't contain as much (if any) of the ingredient they're supposed to. Recent studies have show that some of them even contain items that could be potentially harmful if you have allergies.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    A few days ago someone else was asking about this stuff. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1213351-my-1st-post-please-i-need-help

Please specifically note this reply:
    Right off the bat - NO there is no shortcut pill.

Since I'm bored, I checked out what the National Toxicology Program had to say about this stuff.. Side effects they mention include arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), rhabdomyolysis (destruction of muscle fibers that leads to them being in your bloodstream, in turn causing kidney damage), and hypokalemia (potassium deficiency)

In animal trials – no weight differences were found between a treated group and a control group after four weeks, but the treated group had lower insulin and leptin levels from taking it.. Increased serotonin levels in vitro (just in case youre planning more children)

So short version, this stuff has the potential to really mess you up and going by the animal trials, wont help you lose weight. Plus it's pushed by Dr Oz, which is a red flag all by itself.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/GarciniaCambogiaExt_508.pdf

ETA: The above link is from the National Institute of Health, which is way more credible than most sources I've seen mentioned so far. If you don't believe that, well, do as you will. Just be very careful taking supplements like this, as they are NOT regulated, and often don't contain as much (if any) of the ingredient they're supposed to. Recent studies have show that some of them even contain items that could be potentially harmful if you have allergies.
    Thanks!
  • Miah29
    Miah29 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I'm a long time lurker first time poster. I just received my bottles so I hope I have some good results in the next few weeks.
  • palekars
    palekars Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    for the people that it worked! What brand are you using?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    A study of short term use at a daily dose of below 2800mg has been should to be safe.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that there are numerous studies showing that it does not work on humans.

Now if you are a lab rat, more good news it works on over weight rats, but not humans.

Sorry.
  • qtgurl112590
    Options
    I think it works depending on what you eat. Its discouraging because I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I'm trying to eat healthier too. On the days I eat healthy I only lose up to half a pound. Then when I decided to eat pizza the other day I lost almost 2 lbs that day. Discouraging for healthy eating. I tried it again about 4 days later and it did the same thing. I think you actually have to keep to your regular slightly unhealthy diet for it to work properly. However I wouldn't suggest keeping to an unhealthy diet because if you want to keep the weight off you have to eat better.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    YES....I had to try it. :wink: Whether it is like placebos that people take or not, not sure but for the 2 weeks I have been taking it, it is helping me for sure. It was on sale at Costco's and they always have the best products and I trust them so me and my sister tried them.

I have cleaned up my diet for the most part too but feel the rate of weight loss is due to this supplement. I weighed the pros and cons, did the research and I will continue to use the rest of the year for sure since taken moderately no adverse side effects and it is good for you too even if not good for weight loss. A win win in my opinion :wink: My sister agrees :love:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I think it works depending on what you eat. Its discouraging because I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks now and I'm trying to eat healthier too. On the days I eat healthy I only lose up to half a pound. Then when I decided to eat pizza the other day I lost almost 2 lbs that day. Discouraging for healthy eating. I tried it again about 4 days later and it did the same thing. I think you actually have to keep to your regular slightly unhealthy diet for it to work properly. However I wouldn't suggest keeping to an unhealthy diet because if you want to keep the weight off you have to eat better.
    Not sure on this one but I if right it will help on the days we slip.
  • Ryansdittman805
    Options
    It's not magic... it won't make your fat disappear. It is a natural hunger suppressant. It also stops SOME. Not all carbohydrates that you consume from turning into fat and storing it on your body. Some is better then none. I take 6 capsules a day. 2 at 7am. 2 at 12pm. And 2 before dinner at around 4pm. It helps me feel full, not snack through the day, and now I feel like I'm in control not food. I used to feel hungry all day every day, and only huge amounts of food would satisfy my hunger. It helps me. It can help you.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    for the people that it worked! What brand are you using?
    Yo do realize that for those people where it "Works" they are also following basicallly eating better and exercise.

I cannot believe after reading the BS that it causes you would still even consider it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    It's not magic... it won't make your fat disappear. It is a natural hunger suppressant. It also stops SOME. Not all carbohydrates that you consume from turning into fat and storing it on your body. Some is better then none. I take 6 capsules a day. 2 at 7am. 2 at 12pm. And 2 before dinner at around 4pm. It helps me feel full, not snack through the day, and now I feel like I'm in control not food. I used to feel hungry all day every day, and only huge amounts of food would satisfy my hunger. It helps me. It can help you.
    Agreed