Dumbbell versus Barbells

Options
I wanted to get all my fellow lifters' takes on which they prefer, dumbbells or barbells. I'm more of a dumbbell lifter myself. Barbells are better if you want to really test your overall strength (i.e. Squats, bench press) etc but for consistent training and strengthening your muscles, I feel as though dumbbells work better for me. Dumbbells force you to maintain your balance and keep your body in alignment. I also think they do a better job in working your core while you're lifting and standing. They also seem to allow for more natural movements than barbells. Now, I do have love for barbells for some things but I use dumbbells for most of my workouts.

I just wanted to get my fellow lifters input on what works best for them. Machine weight, cable, etc users also feel free to chime in.

Jason

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use the bar for deadlifts but DB for most other things because I don't have room for a rack.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I love barbells. I do dumbbell training for some accessories, but I am definitely a barbell lover.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Bar for squats, rows, hip thrusts, and deadlifts. I mix it up between bar and dumbbells for OHP and bench press. and dumbbells for isolation exercises and lunges.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I prefer barbells for most of my main lifts. But I love a variety of equipment. I frequently use my dumbbells, kettlebells, resistance bands, cable machine, my pull-up bar, TRX, my bench, exercise ball, bodyweight etc.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Barbells for strength.

Dumbbells and/or other isolateral plate-loaded for balance and accessories. Some cable work, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depends on the session...if it's a strength or power session, it's barbells all the way...if it's a hypertrophy range session I tend to use more dumbbells.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I use a combination of barbells, dumbells, cables, and machines. They all have their pros and cons.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Like to mix it up....always barbell for squats though. Also recently started doing some proper hyperthrophy where use banded machines or machines with lots of timenubder tension so tempo 4-0-1-0
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I use a combination. I like barbells for my main lower body exercises (squat, hack squat, deadlift, RDL) plus OHP. I prefer dumbbells for bench press, rows, and split squats. I've also been doing a landmine circuit lately, which takes a barbell but is mostly unilateral movements so it's similar to dumbbell work in a way.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get a barbell for deadlifts, but prefer dumbbells for everything else (I like goblet squats).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My gym only has bars and plates, so that's what I use. I agree with your opinions on dumbbells, but I just don't have the access needed. I have a couple at home to use for circuit DVDs to fill in.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I use barbell for my main strength movements/rep ranges and dumb bells/cables/machines primarily for hypertrophy.
    (I mean there's some carry over for everything, but yeah. I always do my strength work with bb first.)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Barbells for all the main lifts (deads, squats, ohp, rows, bench as well as hip thrusts) and Dumbbells for zottman curls, skullcrushers, step ups and lunges.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use them all
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    We do various exercises incorporating bars, dumbells, machines and cables. I think you'd be limited if you stuck to only one...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Both.
    And machines, cables and bodyweight....

I like a variety of exercises, can't always get to use my first choice, don't like waiting.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    It's not an either/or dichotomy of which one takes supremacy over the other. Effective programming will proscribe exercises with each them based upon the goal, limitations, or needs of the individual. Body builders will prefatigue with dumbbells before moving to barbells to better isolate the main muscle group they wish to train. Powerlifters will end a training session with dumbbells after training the barbell main lifts to isolate weaknesses in their movements.