I'm starving! What gives?

Options
2»

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    priestp1 wrote: »
    I would be interest in what your overall calorie deficit. If I do nothing, I am to eat 1600 Calories a day. Based on my activity / working out - It is increased to 2900 calories a day. I usually eat about 2000 calories (heavy on proteins / light on carbs to lose water weight). My deficit is 900 calories per day. This means I will lose a pound or 2 at least per week (if not more) depending on what my body tries to do.

You may need to eat more. I am not an expert but I believe you will still lose weight. Otherwise your body will metabolism will slow down (go into starvation mode). This is just a thought.

https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

Starvation mode as you are meaning it is an incorrect term. That article is full of not exactly right. This is a better article (I can't find my favorite) on starvation mode myth - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

OP, the weight loss part could be deal to hormone fluctuation, if this is new exercise, etc. Have you not seen a loss for some time? Your meal looks pretty good to me, so I'm also wondering too if this is just needing some fluids and recognizing hunger signals.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's nice that I don't have to this alone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I'd also go back and verify the nutritional data on the items you selected. Most foods have multiple listings, and many of them are wrong. Sometimes they are wrong because the original poster is lazy, and some are wrong because the manufacturer has tweaked either the recipe or serving size so small changes are needed to keep the listings up to day. It's possible that you are not eating as many calories as you think, and that is why you are hungry. Verify the data, and if your calories-in totals are still where you think they are, then maybe tweak your macro balance before adding more food in. With all of your physical activity, perhaps you need to increase protein, as an example.

Oh, and just curious - you listed that you ate 18oz of veggies (I think cauliflower and broccoli) at lunch recently. Did you really eat more than 1# in a sitting? That's the type of thing where might be able to sub a few ounces of protein in for veggies;

I hadn't thought about nutritionional inaccuracies. I'll try to be more mindful of my record keeping.

I will sometimes cook a package of veggies and split into two smaller meals, but log it as one just for the sake of convenience. I am falling short on my protein goal, so I will take this advice to heart and start adding more protein to my meals.

Protein makes a BIG difference for satiety for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have random crazy hunger days, typically around ovulation or yeah, PMS.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

OP already stated it's not PMS or ovulation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

OP already stated it's not PMS or ovulation.

Well she's on the pill so it could still be hormonal. Who knows. Just sharing my experience, lol.

For what it's worth too, I never had a 'cheat day' while losing. Once I started taking a diet break, my appetite went through the roof and I never lost my last 5 lbs. So I don't think it's uncommon...
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My crazy hungry days are the day after a strength training session. It drives me insane!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    FoxyMars25 wrote: »
    My crazy hungry days are the day after a strength training session. It drives me insane!
    Ditto. I was squatting heavy doubles last night, then deadlifting heavy singles. I woke up with this DEEP hunger. Like...it hurt. I still didn't break my fast until 11 though!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    One of the reported minor side effects of the nuva ring is increased appetite. It releases hormones as well as a steroid (and no, you don't ovulate on bc). I would encourage you to look into other forms of BC (especially as there are several class action lawsuits against nuva ring concerning much more serious side effects)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    One of the reported minor side effects of the nuva ring is increased appetite. It releases hormones as well as a steroid (and no, you don't ovulate on bc). I would encourage you to look into other forms of BC (especially as there are several class action lawsuits against nuva ring concerning much more serious side effects)

Thank you for taking the time to look that up for me! I will talk to my OB.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    It may also be dehydration. If I' m hungry for no reason, I drink something. If that doesn't help, then I eat something light.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with individual who asked about water intake. This is a really good way to tell if you are truly hungry or dehydrated. When I began using this method, I did not realize how dehydrated I was. I seriously thought I was hungry.