Stationary bike HURTS! Suggestions?

Options
I have a pretty new stationary bike sitting in my basement that I want to use. I've tried before but it's so uncomfortable that I can't sit on it for more than 10 minutes without suffering greatly in my butt and my back (I've got a bad back). Is there anything I can do besides spending a bunch of money on bike shorts (they're like $60+ here in Canada) to make it easier? The thing is really going to waste sitting in my basement.

Replies

• DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fit is important - try adjusting the saddle, handlebars, and pedals until it is comfortable as possible. You can get a padded seat cover for under $20 at most sporting goods stores that will make it more comfortable to sit on. Finally, realize that any new bike saddle, stationary or otherwise, is going to take some breaking in - well, really, it's your rear end that is getting broken in and adjusted - and it does get better after your anatomy adjusts.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure seat is adjusted distance wise height and forward/back for your size. 2. Get a gel seat cover for the seat. (Change out the seat for a more cushioned one if that's possible) 3. Possibly more time riding because if riding is a new activity for you, your saddle area will toughen up.
  • Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mine really hurts too and i have a bad back, but i start small first and go on it for 10 mins and take a break and then go back to it, after about a week of that you can go for 20 mins , and so on. It helps to get some padding on the seat :) there are pretty cheap and effective ones on ebay
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For the butt: You can try a padded seat cover. You might also get more used to it over time.
    For the back: Adjust the handlebar location if you can, and work on your core strength. The back pain is likely due to a weak core if you haven't used it much.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can get seat cushions. Some seats are hard plastic and hurts your butt after a while. Do light back exercises to strengthen your low back.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Mine feels like the seat pitches me forward so there is a lot of pressure on some tender parts. I wish I knew the answer too, it's a great workout.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Mine feels like the seat pitches me forward so there is a lot of pressure on some tender parts. I wish I knew the answer too, it's a great workout.

Can you raise the front of the bike?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to get comfortable on a typical exercise bike. The seats are too wide. Standard bikes with shorts are OK.

As an exerciser, I prefer the elliptical over an exercise bike, hands down.
  • Machka9
    Options
    When it comes to indoor cycling, from my experience, I rate them in this order from best to worst.

Real bicycle on trainer
    Spin bike
    Stationary bike in gym -- a decent quality one
    Stationary bike at home -- again, a decent quality one
    Stationary bike ... a cheap one

If you've got one of the cheap one, there's not a lot you can do to make them comfortable. That's why they often end up as clothes racks. However, try to adjust it so that it fits you and you can see if one of those gel covers might work.

And you might want to look around for some spinning classes. That might be a better option ... even just one day a week.
  • MelanieCN77
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

No the front is set as is, the tension cable runs down there from the control and the tube is not adjustable. I guess I could lower the seat some and see if I can find a happy medium between that and the forward pitch.

Edit: You know what, I realise you mean prop it up. Duh. Maybe, yes!
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts with a padded crotch have made a world of difference for me. One of my friends from spin class suggested them. $20 at the sporting goods store.
  • Machka9
    Options

No the front is set as is, the tension cable runs down there from the control and the tube is not adjustable. I guess I could lower the seat some and see if I can find a happy medium between that and the forward pitch.

Yeah, I meant a block of wood or an old phone book or something. :)

The seat height needs to remain correct for you. Sit on the saddle and pedal lightly a few times, then put your heel on the pedal when the pedal is in the 6:00 position (lowest point). You should have a very slight bend in your knee. Check the other side ... again, just a very slight bend in the knee.

Now put the balls of your feet back on the pedals and ride! :)

Once you get the saddle height right, and the saddle level, then you can make other adjustments to other things ... but the saddle height is the key adjustment.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Canadian, I found shopping online for bike shorts was the way to get better prices. They may help, but I tend to hate exercise bikes. I use my road bike on a trainer in the winter.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    A very good site for cycling gear is:

nashbar

Check for clearance items and get on their mailing list for coupons.

I also have gotten great deals on cycling gear at REI (in store and online). Their house brand ("Novara") is very well priced.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Get some cycling shorts....they're made for it
  • Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can still pick up MEC shorts for $49 ... that's pretty inexpensive when it comes to cycling shorts.

I wear the $49 ones, and need to pick up some more next time we're in Canada.

https://www.mec.ca/en/gender/women's/ideal-for/cycling/products/clothing/bottoms/shorts/c/1014?sort=price-asc&q=:sales-rank#

I just picked up the least expensive, yet decent cycling shorts I could find here in Tasmania for about $85. I need several, so I'm buying them about every couple months.
  • MelanieCN77
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yeah, I meant a block of wood or an old phone book or something. :)

The seat height needs to remain correct for you. Sit on the saddle and pedal lightly a few times, then put your heel on the pedal when the pedal is in the 6:00 position (lowest point). You should have a very slight bend in your knee. Check the other side ... again, just a very slight bend in the knee.

Now put the balls of your feet back on the pedals and ride! :)

Once you get the saddle height right, and the saddle level, then you can make other adjustments to other things ... but the saddle height is the key adjustment.

I put two 5lb weights under the front 'feet' and it helped a lot! I think if I can find something a little higher and as sturdy I'll be set. Thank you for the suggestion!