Fitbits - waste or worth it?

Options

Replies

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love mine! It's the basic one that goes in your pocket. Zip? Anyway, you want to get that sucker up to 10,000 steps so it's very motivating.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    for me its NOT worth it, i think a good scale and a mirror will tell you what direction to go in , i would rather save my money and by food, i think if you know what your doing you dont need one, thats just my take on it, everybody has a opinion, you just have to find what works for you, everybody is different, good luck
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, the pedometer on it is just as accurate (provided you have your cellphone) - my Fitbit was motivating at first but it gets redundant kind of fast.
  • tarheelboy
    tarheelboy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Had one. Hated it. It gave me steps checking my email. It also said i was sleeping while I was driving.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR for almost a year now. I also got the Flex 2 for when I go swimming. It took some time, but I got used to sleeping with it on. I am in several challenges. I've increased my step goal. The only time I take it off is when I shower, that is when I'll throw in on the charger. I love it! I think it is a very good investment.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My husband threw mine in the garbage a few years ago. I didn't like wearing a machine that measurd so many things very much anyway, so that was ok.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit for a while now. Personally, I love having a fitness tracker but don't really care for the quality of fitbit's products. I have had to get mine replaced twice because it was falling apart. My mom, best friend and boyfriend all had theirs fall apart too and needed to get them replaced. However, Fitbit is great about replacing their broken products, just a pain to have to keep contacting them to send new ones every time it breaks. Mine was being held together with super glue before I finally decided to retire Fitbit.

Now I have the Garmin Vivosmart Hr+ and I love it. I recommend looking at other brands rather then just fitbit and compare them. I was comparing Fitbit, Garmin and Android and all their different models before I found one that had promising reviews and all the features that I wanted.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    My husband threw mine in the garbage a few years ago. I didn't like wearing a machine that measurd so many things very much anyway, so that was ok.

On purpose? :huh:
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wife loves it...keeps her motivated!
  • Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    love it, and still using my fitbit "one" i bought in 2013, if it dies, i'll buy another "one" if they are still for sale.

keep it in my front shirt pocket most times. Occasionally i count my steps for morning walk, in 100 step increments just to check accuracy. very accurate, numbers for calorie adjustment match progress, i don't wear it to sleep, and i plug it into the usb when driving so it doesnt count steps from bumps.. "i drive around alot during the day.. work for a water plant so i cannot be bothered with the wrist wearable ones working in water and wearing gloves and wrenching with tools etc... took me about a week to remember to unplug from truck and replug when driving, but now its second nature..
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    rollerjog wrote: »
    i would not waste my money on one, i would rather spend money on food, if your eating right, training right , and know what your doing, i see no reason to have one thats just me

I sort of agree here, but some people need something to keep them going on the diet

For me, before mfp and fitbit, it was a yoyo diet, on and off, but with them, with MFP, it makes me logging things and fitbit gives me a step count, something to keep me interested as it were instead of thinking oh look at that and do that instead and completely forget about dieting

Yes I get distracted easily
  • JourneeAfter0704
    JourneeAfter0704 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin hr+ and I love it . I love the move reminder!
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You get out of it what you put into it. It's not some miracle device that's going to get you jacked. If your adament about reaching your step goal every day you will reap the rewards of calories out. Just dont bury yourself with calories in and you'll be good.
  • daddybuzzkill
    daddybuzzkill Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have used them since they first came on the market (she actually pre-ordered before they were available). I used to think I was fairly active and was easily getting 10,000 steps a day. HA! Not. Even. Close. So it helped me get more active. Now I have a Charge 2 that encourages me to move throughout the day and helps me check my progress easier than my One. It isn't perfect, but it has been really beneficial to me. I've also found that they have excellent customer service.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I just got the Garmin hr+ and I love it . I love the move reminder!

I think I commented earlier in this post but I feel the same way. I also believe the calorie burn is much more accurate. My fitbit charge HR regularly had me burning 3000 calories a day+ the Garmin has me avg about 2200-2400. Which lines up more with my weightloss when I track. I can also say I went through 5 fitbits in 2 years, not one of them lasted longer then 6 months before falling apart.
  • blomgrl
    blomgrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had my Charge 2 now for 2 months. I do like it, but it is very inaccurate when giving you a heart rate while you're exercising. I am talking 40-50 beats per minute off from what it actually is. Other than that, it is motivating and I like it.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on switching over to a Fitbit. I currently use Polar Loop and the heart rate monitor. I like using it because I can keep track of my bpm while I walk/jog, etc. I always try to keep within a certain range and make sure it stays in the fat burning zone. I also use it to track my steps per day. Goal is over 10,000 steps a day.... yesterday I was at 24,000 steps. I originally purchased the Polar Loop because it's waterproof this was a few years ago though. I am sure Fitbit has waterproof gear by now. I think all fitness bands have their pros and cons, just do your research prior to determine the best band for your needs. Good luck!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on switching over to a Fitbit. I currently use Polar Loop and the heart rate monitor. I like using it because I can keep track of my bpm while I walk/jog, etc. I always try to keep within a certain range and make sure it stays in the fat burning zone. I also use it to track my steps per day. Goal is over 10,000 steps a day.... yesterday I was at 24,000 steps. I originally purchased the Polar Loop because it's waterproof this was a few years ago though. I am sure Fitbit has waterproof gear by now. I think all fitness bands have their pros and cons, just do your research prior to determine the best band for your needs. Good luck!

Fitbit still has a very limited selection that are waterproof. It's why I have a Garmin.
  • N6314P
    N6314P Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use mine for a benchmark and progress tracker-in other words I don't wear it every day. Maybe once a month to validate eating and fitness goals are being met.
  • rustychord
    rustychord Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Huawei fit watch on friday. I like it so far but it doesn't have the social aspect of fitbit.