Essential Fatty Acid Supplements - Dry Skin

fitoverfortymom
fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
My skin is incredibly dry, and while I am thrilled with my weight loss progression, I don't think I am getting enough dietary EFAs, and I want to try a supplement. I am going to change up my lunches a bit and eat 2oz of chicken and a boiled egg or eat a salmon packet instead to work in some more in my natural diet, also.

Does anyone have an EFA/Omega 3/Fish Oil supplement they like? Has anyone overcome dry skin during weight loss this way? I mean, really dry. I have one eyelid that is super dry, my elbow creases are red and raw, and new scaly patches seem to pop up each week.

I recently upped my calories from 1250 to 1430 to decrease my rate of loss (I have roughly 40 left to lose and have already lost 60), so I have a little wiggle room to get some of those fats into my diet.

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Maybe some avocado?
  • fitoverfortymom
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    Maybe some avocado?

I can never eat a whole one before it spoils, but I bet I could work in wholly guacamole packets. Thanks!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    I love smoked salmon! It's loaded with omega 3's so it should help your skin. I've tried taking supplements, but they're just too hard to swallow.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil.
    That stuff is gold!
    Also using coconut oil on your skin is nice
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    Maybe some avocado?

I can never eat a whole one before it spoils, but I bet I could work in wholly guacamole packets. Thanks!

i know a woman who absolutely swears by avocado in her smoothies. she also absolutely swears that you do not taste it, no matter what kind of smoothie it is.

i haven't decided to believe her yet, but it's always worth a try to get rid of your extra i guess. on supplements, i'm not especially picky with mine, but i'm currently taking a jameson brand because the 'no fishy burps!' promise on the label made me laugh.

if it really doesn't go away, maybe check in with your doctor. not to diagnose drama into something where it's not necessary, but psoriasis came to my mind when you said scaly patches.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Oh dear, I think maybe you need a trip to the doctor, I suffer from dry skin and dermatitis and what you describe isn't right, sounds like possibly a yeast infection on your eyelid and red raw patches are a worry. Please go along and see a medical professional about your skin!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I use sweet almond oil on my skin twice a day. I swear by the stuff.
    I also eat oily fish and flaxseed to get omega three.
    I agree with seeing a doctor to rule out a yeast infection or other possibilities.
    Your weight loss has been amazing. Well done!
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited March 2017
    Based on some additional research and symptoms and a nice chat with my nurse practitioner friend, I have a dr. appointment next week to talk about my thyroid function. Hair loss, headache, freezing cold, tired tired tired, constipation, and incredibly dry skin, specially near my eye. So yeah. There's that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Rosehip oil is a brilliant lifesaver for all sorts, dry skin, oily skin, ageing skin. perhaps throw that in while you're getting everything checked out to see if it helps.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I will also suggest using coconut oil as a body lotion.

I use it as a moisturizer and hand lotion. I have also found that it works well on cuts and scrapes. I just buy the solidified version on the cooking aisle.