Treat days

Options
do you ever give yourself treat days and if so how much do you go over, tonight I am meant to be sitting down with wife making a nice steak dinner and I promised myself a big bag of crisps as that is the thing I miss the most from movie night but with the steak and stuff I am already 60 calories over daily amount so I feel guilty even though I am under by about 4000-4500 for the week, how do u all deal with the guilt of seeing the macros in the red lol

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Consider having a smaller quantity of the crisps...You can save the remainder of the bag for another day. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    a cheat/treat day is good for me...but not for everyone. For me, I allow a cheat day, and it helps me keep me on track. The funny thing is, I usually do it on the weekends, I have time to work out more, and I don't actually going over that much. A cheat day reminds me that.. going over is not the end of the world, I can get back on track.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't do cheat or treat days. I do the it it fits in my calories I'm going to enjoy it, log it, and move on type of thing
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As long as for the week I'm still at my deficit, I don't worry. If I'm running a little over because of a pleasant indulgence then I'll buckle down for the next few days. Guilting myself over eating generally depresses me into eating more food. There are some weeks that I'll intentionally go under my deficit to 'save up' for something (like a meal out with friends), but I've gotten out of the habit of having a specified cheat day or meal. Eat smaller portions of the crisps so you don't necessarily miss the crisps so badly! :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    razzapool wrote: »
    do you ever give yourself treat days and if so how much do you go over, tonight I am meant to be sitting down with wife making a nice steak dinner and I promised myself a big bag of crisps as that is the thing I miss the most from movie night but with the steak and stuff I am already 60 calories over daily amount so I feel guilty even though I am under by about 4000-4500 for the week, how do u all deal with the guilt of seeing the macros in the red lol

4000 cals under your tdee for the week or 4000 cals under goal for the week?
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Fit it into your calories.

A helpful hint I use is that I get a serving size and a glass of water. When I'm done eating the crisps I have to drink the glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If I'm really hungry I'll go back for more, again following with water and 20 minutes. I usually don't go back for thirds but if I do the rest of the day is clean and has a long exercise.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd eat the crisps understanding that I am still in a deficit for the week but I would plan better for it going forward so that I learn from the experience.

My strategy going forward would be to bank calories a little during the week so that I still hit my weekly goal and have a little extra for a splurge one day, for most people that's the weekend (my days all roll into one so it could land on any random day of the week for me!).

And you need to not be so hung up on seeing red numbers. Your macros are goals to reach, as long as you're not way over, you're doing it right.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I carry over calories, so over the week, I would have that extra and wouldn't worry about my treat.
    Although in your case, that is a really high number of calories to be under - why are you so far behind your target?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Food should not make you feel guilty. Eat the crisps or don't but don't make a soap opera out of it.

This. And it's worth point out that if you're already under by 4000-4500 calories for the week, one bag of crisps won't undo that deficit. To hell with the guilt. Eat the crisps and enjoy every second of it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What is your average for the week? That's what matters, not the day by day.

In the Android app you can see the average by clicking "nutrition" in the left-hand menu, then setting it to "net calories" and "weekly". It will show you a bar for each day, a line for your calorie goal, and then a bar on the right that is your weekly average - so you can see if it is above or below your goal.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you are going to have a treat, put it in with the calories you are consuming for that day, after all it is something you are consuming into your system.