Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Steel Cut vs Rolled Oats

2»

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    McCann steel cut Oatmeal. Yummy and so good. I presume cook them as at 7500' they took too long.

Where do you live, Wyoming?

Southwest Colorado in the San Juan Mountains.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I prefer the steel-cut oats because the texture is so awesome. I even use them in oatmeal cookies.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    McCann steel cut Oatmeal. Yummy and so good. I presume cook them as at 7500' they took too long.

Where do you live, Wyoming?

Southwest Colorado in the San Juan Mountains.
    googled the area, very pretty.
    Growing up, I lived in Wy. Those elevations really mess with baking.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    FYI although nutritionally the same, larger rolled oats are shown to keep you fuller for longer than instant oats which are a finer texture so that they cook quicker.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    There's hardly any difference nutritionally. I do eat steel cut because I can get a giant bag from Costco for cheap and they take 7 minutes to cook on the stove. And I like them!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't stand the texture of rolled oats...steel cut oats take a long time to cook, so I compromise with Coach's Oats which have a very similar texture to steel cut, but I can cook them in the microwave in about 4 minutes.

Once in awhile I make steel cut oats as a special kind of thing. I won't touch rolled oats....ever.

The time is definitely a factor. I make my steel cut oats on Sunday and pour them into a loaf pan to store in the fridge. I make 4 servings at a time so I can cut it into 4 slices and reheat one each morning. I never cook rolled oats (use them in overnight oats or just stir them into yogurt right before eating.)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    My mom turned me off any sort of cooked oatmeal. I get either instant/quick oats or rolled oats. I can pour boiled water on a serving of either and be done in 2 minutes. I can also control how wet/dry they are (I prefer drier; thanks Mom).

I compared the nutritional info of steel-cut, rolled, and quick oats and there wasn't much difference other than how much of the oat is still attached. Go with whichever you like the taste and texture of.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    There is such a minuscule difference, that it won't matter. Eat the one you enjoy the most. I enjoy rolled oats in overnight recipes, but quick oats if I am cooking that morning and want hot oatmeal..

That^^. Not enough of a difference to make me choose one over the other.
  • halizabeth
    halizabeth Posts: 111 Member
    I cook my Steel oats in batches of 10 and freeze them in portion sizes with milk, walnuts and cinnamon already blended in. Heats up quick for grab and go convenience, adding a fruit upon heating :) if time is the issue perhaps this will help.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    halizabeth wrote: »
    I cook my Steel oats in batches of 10 and freeze them in portion sizes with milk, walnuts and cinnamon already blended in. Heats up quick for grab and go convenience, adding a fruit upon heating :) if time is the issue perhaps this will help.

When I am *into* steel-cut oats, I also make a big batch with cinnamon and vanilla and whatever, already in it. I don't freeze mine though - I make enough for a week, and scoop it out into a take-to-work container, each morning.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I can't stand the texture of rolled oats...steel cut oats take a long time to cook, so I compromise with Coach's Oats which have a very similar texture to steel cut, but I can cook them in the microwave in about 4 minutes.

Once in awhile I make steel cut oats as a special kind of thing. I won't touch rolled oats....ever.

This^

Coach's - great texture in less time.