Advice on eating well for someone on ADD meds?

Options
tritepoet
tritepoet Posts: 119 Member
I started taking my prescription ADD meds about a month ago, so my appetite of course is down. I eat small portions throughout the day, it seems to be all I can handle. Sometimes, though, all I feel like I can eat is soup.

Any advice on how I can get my nutrients and the protein I need in my situation?

Replies

• EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure your focus and life quality is improving on the meds, because they're a bit overperscribed. (just a general note!)
    I'm also ADD and have been on meds on and off since I was 12, and although I can still eat while on them I never get very hungry while on them. You just have to tempt yourself with you favorite foods, and for me eating larger meals works, small snacks throughout the day just makes me more constantly full. If you're not feeling hungry enough for a large meal as opposed to soup that's one thing, eat the meal anyway and stay at your calorie goal not under. But if you're feeling queasy or ill and thus can't eat that's a different problem, maybe talk to your doctor about your dosage or something. Good luck! :)
  • tritepoet
    tritepoet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure your focus and life quality is improving on the meds, because they're a bit overperscribed. (just a general note!)
    I'm also ADD and have been on meds on and off since I was 12, and although I can still eat while on them I never get very hungry while on them. You just have to tempt yourself with you favorite foods, and for me eating larger meals works, small snacks throughout the day just makes me more constantly full. If you're not feeling hungry enough for a large meal as opposed to soup that's one thing, eat the meal anyway and stay at your calorie goal not under. But if you're feeling queasy or ill and thus can't eat that's a different problem, maybe talk to your doctor about your dosage or something. Good luck! :)

Thank you for your input! Yes, I do agree with you that they are overprescribed, but mine, besides the appetite issue, have been a blessing. My life is in order again for the first time in ages! That's why I want to make sure I maintain my goals and also get my nutrients and protein. :)
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    SOUP!

I eat tons of soup, especially while I'm taking my ADD meds as prescribed (sometimes when I run out it takes me a week or three to refill the prescription).

I see nothing wrong with having soup every day, especially if you make it yourself. Amy's and Muir Glenn are the two brands I turn to the most for organic soups (Muir Glenn especially, but sometimes it can be hard to find) and I always have Campbell's soups in the cupboard. If you stay away from the creamy soups they are pretty low calorie, and have veggies.

You can also always make your own. When I have time I make HUGE batches all at once and freeze them in mason jars or ziploc bags portioned out so I can just grab one bag or jar and eat it. You can make super low cal soups with mostly vegetables and beans or chicken for very few calories. If I find a creamy soup I want to make, sometimes I sub in unsweetened almond milk for the cream or milk to keep healthier.

If you like soup, and you sometimes feel like it's all you can or want to eat, I say go for it.