Frustrating Plateau

Options
2»

Replies

• steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi! I'm currently 170.6 pounds (according to my weigh-in this morning) and have a 36% body fat. I'm trying to get into the Army and need to either be at 147 or 32% body fat before I can start my testing. I was doing pretty well with losing about two pounds a week, but now I'm gaining those pounds back. I workout twice a day with one session as cardio and the other as a HIIT workout involving kickboxing at 9Round. I also try to keep me calorie intake around 1200. Why am I still gaining weight? If I use weights, I try not to go above 10 pounds. Please help!
    If you're gaining weight, it's because you're eating more than you think. Inaccurate measuring of intake is usually the main reason that one stalls on weight loss or loses no weight at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Do you have a suggestion for how I can measure accurately?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi! I'm currently 170.6 pounds (according to my weigh-in this morning) and have a 36% body fat. I'm trying to get into the Army and need to either be at 147 or 32% body fat before I can start my testing. I was doing pretty well with losing about two pounds a week, but now I'm gaining those pounds back. I workout twice a day with one session as cardio and the other as a HIIT workout involving kickboxing at 9Round. I also try to keep me calorie intake around 1200. Why am I still gaining weight? If I use weights, I try not to go above 10 pounds. Please help!
    If you're gaining weight, it's because you're eating more than you think. Inaccurate measuring of intake is usually the main reason that one stalls on weight loss or loses no weight at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Do you have a suggestion for how I can measure accurately?
    Get a food scale. Believe it or not, the few grams that some foods are off make a difference.

If one eats 100 calories over their TDEE consistently for a year, that's a 10lbs gain. That's how weight creeps up on us.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    1. Get a food scale and weigh everything, but especially hard to judge things like pasta and cereals, and things that are very high fat/calorie like cheese.
    2. Measure yourself - you might be toning up and muscle is denser than fat so the inches can drop while the weight stays the same (or even goes up as it did with me - very scary!)
    3. Compare what fitbit says for exercise with the MFP estimate for your height/weight - when I was looking to buy a tracker I went for a Garmin because I read a Which? review which said fitbits regularly over-estimate calorie burn by up to 40%
    4. Work out your TDEE and set you calorie level to that less 100 or 150 calories. I did that when I stalled and actually upped my calories, but the weight came off.
    5. Finally, maybe switch round your exercise - if you always do the same thing at the same intensity at the same time/day of the week your body gets used to it and its less effective. Throw in a "surprise" day off (when you just walk or cycle slowly), try a new exercise or a new routine. Obviously if you go to a class then those are pretty much fixed, but maybe try the same sort of class at a different venue, or get a DVD to do at home.

You can break the plateau, you just need to tinker about a bit!