How to track homemade vegetable stock

callyamills
callyamills Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
How can I track homemade vegetable stock correctly?

Replies

• AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    The way I track home made stuff is by weighing everything that goes in. Add up all the stuff you have put in. Once it is done weigh the end product and then divide it by the number of servings you are going to make the stock.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Use the recipe builder.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    With homemade stock, I log store bought.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,669 Member
    If you haven't added any fat or starch, I wouldn't even count it. It's essentially flavored water.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I estimate by using a store bought version. I choose a middle of the road calorie wise version.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Ditto on using an entry for a commercially prepared stock, but honestly, unless you added fat during the process, we're maybe talking about 5 or 10 calories per cup (8 fluid ounces/240 ml). Think about it -- a cup of vegetable juice (like V-8) only has 50 calories, and it's full-strength veggie juice, not diluted 8:1 or more with water (I'd be surprised to get a full cup of liquid if I juiced all the veggies I throw in a pot with two or three quarts of water to make veggie stock, but of course some of the water evaporates during simmering and some of it goes into the veggies).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Agreed, log any fat added but otherwise it's virtually calorie free flavoured water.