Can you do kettlebell EVERY day?

Options
I wanted to start using kettlebells every day. On my lifting days, I'll lift harder, heavier weights. On "cardio days," I'll train for the 5k for about 20-30 minutes and then lift lighter weight KBs. Sound good? Advice? Tips? Opinions?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I vote NO
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I vote NO
    Reasons why?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its better to not do it. Muscles make progress when they have time to repair. This is also why you should not work the same muscles repeatedly during the same week.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    With light weights (where you can sustain the good form for at least 20 minutes) -- sure you can. Check out Steve Cotter's kettlebell cardio circuits.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Its better to not do it. Muscles make progress when they have time to repair. This is also why you should not work the same muscles repeatedly during the same week.
    I do a 3 day split of upper/lower? I have a routine I follow..
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Well can you?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you'll see the best results from alternating cardio and lifting days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is your reasoning to work out everyday? Too much exercise will make you more prone to injury and doesnt provide any greater benefit than working out 5-6 days a week
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist told me to lift light weights daily to keep my shoulder flexibility and range of motion. My personal trainer saw no problem with this either since it's just 5 lb dumbbells or a 5 lb resistance band.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    What is your reasoning to work out everyday? Too much exercise will make you more prone to injury and doesnt provide any greater benefit than working out 5-6 days a week
    I just like the work out itself. I don't enjoy many forms of cardio but I like the swings. I lift 3-4x a week heavily and do cardio on my off days and generally rest on Sunday
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist told me to lift light weights daily to keep my shoulder flexibility and range of motion. My personal trainer saw no problem with this either since it's just 5 lb dumbbells or a 5 lb resistance band.

right.. exactly. you're doing such light weight, its not problem at all to do it every day. and since you are seeing a physical therapist, i'm assuming you're rehabing an injury? then they want you to do it everyday multiple times a day.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Bro science nonsense. If this were true then how do heavy labourers do their job 40+ hours a week???

The 48 hours between movements is only true with constant progressive overload. Kettle bell training is not intense enough to produce this response.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    youre asking advice here when you have a physical therapist that knows a hundred times more your situation than we do?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I was just going to do the "cardio" day at 10lbs. I generally use 20lb bells
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    oo
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Bro science nonsense. If this were true then how do heavy labourers do their job 40+ hours a week???

The 48 hours between movements is only true with constant progressive overload. Kettle bell training is not intense enough to produce this response.

agreed
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    youre asking advice here when you have a physical therapist that knows a hundred times more your situation than we do?
    I don't have a PT. I didn't post that.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, if you can swing as high as you do in your profile picture, you might want to start swinging even heavier. =)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Just a side note, if you can swing as high as you do in your profile picture, you might want to start swinging even heavier. =)
    Thank you :3
  • activefatgirl
    activefatgirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to be in a kettlebell class and I did it 6 days a week. I miss it so much but I can't afford it :( my sister still goes and loves it. The trainer always changes up the class everyday so we are not working the same muscles. I totally suggest you look in to doing a class. You will learn so much.