Bike Shopping

Options
I would like to get a bike just to ride on trails (paved or rock trails not like mountains or anything). I won't use it a ton - maybe once a week or an hour or two is my guess. I don't want it to be very expensive but I do want it to be comfortable-I'm large so I may have to buy a larger seat to be comfy. Where should I shop and does anyone have any suggestions for a bike? I just don't know where to start! And I don't know what size bike I need - I'm 5'2". Thanks for the suggestions!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Start by visiting the bicycle shops in your area and telling them what you've just told us.

If a shop tries to encourage/force you to go with a bicycle that is more expensive than you are prepared to pay, move on to the next shop.

For what you want, you'd probably be happy with a hardtail mountain bike or a hybrid. Something with a sort of medium width tyre ... not big knobby tyres and not too skinny.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Use a good local bike shop. In my experience this is the best way to get exactly what suits yr needs and yr budget They will also be helpful for repair and maintenance too.
    Dont buy tyres that are very wide / knobbly - they suck yr energy if you don't really plan to do really tough rough tracks.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    use a LOT of good local bike shops, if you're inexperienced and unfamiliar with bikes. expect to be overwhelmed, but by the same time just seeing a zillion bikes does sort of eventually give you a firmer idea of what you're most looking for.

i'd suggest, but i'm very much a transportation-based rider and don't go on trails. if it's worth anything, i do think all three of my jamis codas were wonderfully nimble bikes. i only ever rode them on roads, but they also handled really nicely during the winters i used them while the roads were a nightmare mixture of snow and car-snot with ice chunks mixed in.
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely shop and get advice at local bike dealers. You’ll find out which is/are the good one(s) quickly. They’ll size you up and fit you for a properly sized bike that’ll be best for your needs and intended uses. IMO, the saddle is close to the single most important component on a bike. A good saddle can make a poor bike fair and a bad saddle can make a good bike a nightmare. Be sure to get advice on what’d be a good saddle for you from qualified people. Above all else--never buy a bike at Walmart, K-Mart, Target or any other “big box” store. You might (?) be OK at a Dick’s Sporting Goods, but the local independent bike dealers are almost always the best idea. Those shops have the people who really know what they’re doing and they’ll best provide the back-up service, repair and maintenance that you’ll ultimately need. Good luck with getting into cycling!
  • martie1123
    martie1123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Find a shop that is very accepting of beginners as you should have lots of questions. When I was starting and shopping more than one made me feel I was stupid and not worth their time if wasn't spending big bucks. A good shop wants you to get hooked on biking at right entry-level with the hope you will eventually upgrade