Ladies do you struggle during....

Options
Looking for ladies that really struggle during that time of the month!
Plz tell me that I am not alone and that I'm not crazy! About 10 days before my period even starts, the cravings begin! Today while I was on the elliptical at the gym a craving for a McDonald's salad hit me.. I wasn't really hungry, but the craving got so bad i couldn't concentrate on my workout! I usually lift for 30 minutes after my cardio but today I left the gym after cardio to go get that damn salad!! When I got home the cravings got even worse.. I'm not gonna go into detail about what all I ate but just know that I'm wayyyy over calories today! The cravings are so bad i can't control them... I literally want to cry! I have noticed that each month it gets harder and harder, worse and worse. I've lost 76lbs with 24 more to go.... I will never reach my goal like this!
Is any1 else experiencing this?

Replies

• peanutbuttertuesday
    Options
    My birth control (nexplanon) makes my cycle totally unpredictable and it can go for weeks sometimes. (Sorry if TMI) So needless to say I definitely see some hormonal shifts, and I do notice I want to eat junk more at those times. I'm an emotional eater, of course trying to break that habit now.

I am wondering, did you log your calories for all the extra cravings you had? Sometimes I find that I didn't go over by as much as I thought, as long as I made an effort most of the day. I mean, hey, at least you craved a salad! :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you most want that's within your calorie limit.

Think the craving through by looking up its calories. Log before you eat.

A craving is just a plan for your day's menu. I don't see them as evil. I don't even call them cravings.
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Been there! For me the cravings are only a few days before the TOM, but there is no satisfaction or relief of the craving from having just a *little* of what I want. I want a huge plate of nachos, an XL French fry order, etc.

I find that if I just don't give in to the craving, it passes in 1-2 days. But if I give in, it's ok. I log it and move on!
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Some1 finally gets it! Thank u! I'm 36 years old and my calorie goal is 1420. I'm not on any BC because my husband has had a vasectomy.
    What you experience that 1 day.. I experience for 10 days... once it actually starts I'm fine... it's the days leading up to it that torture me so!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

A craving is just a plan for your day's menu. I don't see them as evil. I don't even call them cravings.

And also a craving is often your body's way of telling you it needs something.

I'll get cravings for potato chips.

I don't need potato chips, but that's how my body likes to tell me I'm running a bit low on sodium ... maybe I've been exercising a bit more than usual, maybe it's been a hot humid day ...

So I'll have cucumber slices with salt, or a pickle, or just salt my lunch a bit more ... and the potato chip craving goes away. :)
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

Some1 finally gets it! Thank u! I'm 36 years old and my calorie goal is 1420. I'm not on any BC because my husband has had a vasectomy.
    What you experience that 1 day.. I experience for 10 days... once it actually starts I'm fine... it's the days leading up to it that torture me so!

My sympathies. It's rough. Is it uncontrollable for 10 days? Has it impacted your weight.

I have to be honest. I would really worry if I felt like that for two days let alone ten. Omg.
  • crystalmorrison378
    Options
    I love the idea of eating @ maintenance for those 10 days... can some1 tell me how to calculate what maintenance calories would be for me?
  • Machka9
    Options

Another suggestion ... do you take calcium supplements? You might want to run that idea past your Dr to make sure it is OK for you. But, whether it is just my imagination or not, it does seem to me that taking a calcium supplement seems to reduce my appetite and also my cramping.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I love the idea of eating @ maintenance for those 10 days... can some1 tell me how to calculate what maintenance calories would be for me?

Go to your settings and change your weight loss goal to 0 lb/kg per week. MFP will show you the number of calories you need to burn to lose 0 lb/kg per week ... or in other words, to maintain.
  • crystalmorrison378
    edited February 2017
    Options

I can always tell when it's coming.. no need to mark my calendar. I guarantee 10 days b4 I'm in mysery. I can usually handle the cravings much better after those first few days.. it's kinda hard to explain. As for my weight, it usually just stalls... sometimes I will gain a pound or so.. sometimes I dont. I think that's because I feel so guilty about being over my calories that I will literally spend hours at the gym trying to work it off...
  • leejoyce31
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can always tell when it's coming.. no need to mark my calendar. I guarantee 10 days b4 I'm in mysery. I can usually handle the cravings much better after those first few days.. it's kinda hard to explain. As for my weight, it usually just stalls... sometimes I will gain a pound or so.. sometimes I dont. I think that's because I feel so guilty about being over my calories that I will literally spend hours at the gym trying to work it off...

I'm glad the impact has been minimal. Unfortunately, we all react differently to the ebb and flow of hormones. It's a delicate balance. For some women, there is little to no impact. For others, it's a tidal wave of anxiety, depression, agitation, food cravings and other physical and emotional responses. Thank goodness I just get food cravings and a little moody. It could be so much worse.

Good luck. I hear magnesium supplements help. I'm trying them for next time.
  • leejoyce31
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

And also a craving is often your body's way of telling you it needs something.

I'll get cravings for potato chips.

I don't need potato chips, but that's how my body likes to tell me I'm running a bit low on sodium ... maybe I've been exercising a bit more than usual, maybe it's been a hot humid day ...

So I'll have cucumber slices with salt, or a pickle, or just salt my lunch a bit more ... and the potato chip craving goes away. :)

True another physiological reason for cravings is nutritional deficiencies.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Please see my "Today it's all about butter" post--that was all PMS-induced! Usually I don't really get cravings, though, I just have a monstrous appetite, but it does last about 7 days for me. These women who only have it for one day--wow!

I decided a while back to give myself an extra 300 calories over my usual calories on those days I feel I really need it. I read that our bodies burn more calories at this time, and 300 was the number they gave. That worked for me for one cycle, and now for most cycles I'm giving myself 300 calories OVER maintenance! Even that's not always working. And yes, some cycles I'm not paying attention to dates, and it's my appetite that clues me in to TOM coming soon. It's not just an excuse to eat!

I've tried upping protein, upping carbs, and taking magnesium. The magnesium I have noticed has helped with ...um...irritability, but I still had appetite issues this past cycle. Protein helps some during the day, but evening hits, and watch out! For me, my appetite drops really low right after my period starts, so it sort of evens out.

Still, you've lost 75 ish lbs, even with PMS, so you know you can keep going. It might be slow going, but what is the alternative?

• leejoyce31
    Options
    I'm with you! Please see my "Today it's all about butter" post--that was all PMS-induced! Usually I don't really get cravings, though, I just have a monstrous appetite, but it does last about 7 days for me. These women who only have it for one day--wow!

I decided a while back to give myself an extra 300 calories over my usual calories on those days I feel I really need it. I read that our bodies burn more calories at this time, and 300 was the number they gave. That worked for me for one cycle, and now for most cycles I'm giving myself 300 calories OVER maintenance! Even that's not always working. And yes, some cycles I'm not paying attention to dates, and it's my appetite that clues me in to TOM coming soon. It's not just an excuse to eat!

I've tried upping protein, upping carbs, and taking magnesium. The magnesium I have noticed has helped with ...um...irritability, but I still had appetite issues this past cycle. Protein helps some during the day, but evening hits, and watch out! For me, my appetite drops really low right after my period starts, so it sort of evens out.

Still, you've lost 75 ish lbs, even with PMS, so you know you can keep going. It might be slow going, but what is the alternative?

Lol. 300 over maintenance isn't bad. My one adds up to more than 3,000 calories. So thank goodness it's just one day.

Yes my appetite drops when menses starts. This is due to the rise in estrogen once bleeding begins. Thank goodness. I guess that nature's way of giving is a break.

I generally get cravings but not a monstrous appetite.

What's that like? Do you feel hungry or are you more unsatisfied with your portions?