NUTRISYSTEM FOODS FOR 400 POUNDERS

Options
Anyone else my size try and have success with nutrisytem foods. It would help me eat right if I could stick to it and that to is the big thing. Discipline to do it. I'd hate to waste the money and then cheat and well you know the rest of the story.

just wondering

thanks

Replies

• caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    I tried Nutrisystem at 380 or so and couldn't stick to it. The food has a certain flavor to it that I can't describe, but I couldn't eat it for longer than two weeks. In my opinion, the portions are small, it is expensive, and it tastes nasty, so it's not worth it. I have had much more success with regular food. But that is just my experience, you may do well on it.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Never used it. I remember one f your other threads. I listed a few ideas as did others. Not sure if you saw it or if they were doable.

I've going at this for about 30 days. It takes time. I am on a very tight food budget, but I'm trying to make it work. I do have to plan my meals. Make a green pepper last for several meals.

There is no quick fix. This takes time and planning and will. I no longer could deal with my life passing me by. It's not easy. I ate a bunch of cookies the other day, but today was a new day.
    You got this! You want under 400? You can do it!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Anyone else my size try and have success with nutrisytem foods. It would help me eat right if I could stick to it and that to is the big thing. Discipline to do it. I'd hate to waste the money and then cheat and well you know the rest of the story.

just wondering

thanks

I was not your size but I have tried it and didn't like it. The taste/texture was not appealing to me. Most of the food items for lunch and dinner are covered in some type of gravy or sauce; I hate gravy.

They do now have the new frozen food options which cost more but more importantly TASTE like food!

If you are seriously considering Nutri System; try Jenny Craig instead. Better tasting food ... and yes I've tried this too.

In reality; you should just monitor your own food selections, cook fresh foods, and move as much as possible. The weight didn't come on overnight and unfortunately there is nothing that will help it come off overnight other than hard work.

Good luck!
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    My advice is avoid nitrisystem and other ploys like that. Make healthy food and control your portions
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Jenni Craig food is twice as expensive as just getting a frozen tv dinner at your grocery store and has about the same nutritients, but Jenni Craig is gonna be twice as expensive.

As for Nutrisystem, i haven't tried the entrees, but if you can try a few selections, see if you like it, and compare those also to what you can get at your grocery store. You can always try it and if you dont like it just do something else.

You could also make your own better tasting dinner by buying a piece of fish or meat, put in a glass baking dish, put some frozen vegetables on top, add water and spices so that you are poaching or steaming it, put in oven, voila - delish and less expensive and you can control what goes in it - and its not preservatives. its pretty easy squeezy to do those one dish foods in the oven.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I will tell you what is helping me, as it is so convenient! I use a George Foreman grill!! It cooks fast, cleans up super easy and you can marinate your meat or fish to add even more flavor!

This will allow you to control your sodium, fat and calories in your meal. I got my GF at a yard sale, but would replace it at full price if this one wore out and I couldn't find one gently used!

If you get a large one, which can cook about 4 burgers at a time, vs the smaller, 1-2 burger size, you can also grill your vegies at the same time! Mushrooms, green onion, peppers and onion are yummy. 7 minute dinner you are in control of!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    All you need to do is look at your food diary to know what the problem is. You're way over your calories most days, WAY over. Cut back on your portions, once up to the buffet is enough. None of the diet food programs will work if you don't learn to control your eating. Take a good look at why you feel the need to over eat. Food isn't your friend, your comfort, your thing to do when you're bored. Eat to live rather than live to eat.
  • beachbriel
    beachbriel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it tastes disgusting and is expensive. The 'chicken' sandwich is a dehydrated piece of chicken and you supply the rest. I feel most would be better of making a visit to a nutritionist for an eating plan than wasting money on their products. There is no real substitute for portion control and healthy choices.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Yeah. Taking a look at your food diary, the issue seems to be with the portion control, and in some ways, food choices.

I am all about eating whatever you want so long as it fits your calorie goals. However, you habe exceeded target nearly every time you've logged. Nobody is saying you can't ever have a Twinkie. However, 2-3 in a day without other wholesome foods isn't indicative of truly attempting to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself.

I suggest investing in a food scale. Weigh ALL of your food. Try to include more protein, fruits, veggies and healthy fats. When you snack, choose a protein alongside something else of your choice to curb hunger cravings.

You CAN do this, on your own, WITHOUT a pre-made frozen entree for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Hang in there, OP. Best of luck.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    +1 to looking at your diary. I'm sure being a trucker makes it hard to plan your meals, but when you stop for food, buy better snacks. Fresh fruits and veggies, freeze dried fruits and veggies, pickles, jerky, string cheese and nuts are just a few examples of foods that are better for you for snacking instead of chips and dip. Maybe just a little chips and dip and fill up the rest with veggies. When you go to the fast food places, make healthier choices. Log it before you go in, and then you'll know whether you actually have enough calories left to eat the rest of your day. Spending (wasting) money on the quick-fix diet meals isn't going to help you.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think Patrick if you looked at the food diaries, you will see that the meals out are very high in calories and sodium, which is particularly bad for people who might be looking at heart problems due to obesity. I realize you are on the road in a truck a lot of time but packing a lunch which does not need to be complex, with the help of a little cooler and maybe a thermos, would cut down on a huge amount of calories. Give it a go, certainly cheaper than all these weight loss things that limit your diet severly, and one can hardly stay on them indefinitely.

You could ask for a referal as well to a dietician. They are a fund of information if you are willing to at least try to work with them.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi Patrick. We all REALLY want to help you but you are just not trying to help yourself.

Looking at your diary, you are just eating huge portions of rubbish. Lots of people have advised you to pack a cooler with foods instead of keep stopping for three take away/ restaurant meals a day but you are not taking that advice. You need to try to examine WHY you are not doing this. If you ate less and bought food at a supermarket, you could probably afford to get the professional advice that many people have also recommended that you get.

You have been on here a while now and things just aren't changing.

If you do what you've always done- you will get what you've always got!!
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started here weighing 272 pounds and the real shock to me was the calories in the wrong foods I was eating on a daily basis. Take some of these suggestions and pack a lunch. Use a food scale. Learn to accept the fact that you can't eat like a "trucker". If you are really serious, you will try these and seeing a nutritionist is a great suggestion. I had a background in nutrition, so once I got serious about this, I had decent success. It has taken me over 18 months to get where I am and if I can do it, so can you! I'm pulling for you!
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Hi mr Trucker :0

when you stop at the oasis to eat, they have some choices like if they have a mini mart.

if you are on the road and have nothing else but mcdonalds, i guess you can have a hamburger, without condiments, and maybe a half of the bun.

how about packing a cooler with stuff? make your own food for the day.

when you park your truck, do you only have to eat ONLY at the truck stop diners? or could you park it and go down the road to a restaurant? some of the restaurants make some good things that would be better than what you're eating.

You prolly get bored or lonely in the truck and food is your friend. Been there, done that myself.

I understand the buffets, free delicious food, all you want, its really tempting. but good news - if you get used to eating smaller portions, your stomach will 'shrink" as they say, and even at a buffet, all you can eat is like one plate and feel satisfied. but you have to eat smaller portions for a few weeks and then it will happen.

So maybe try with eating smaller portions of food at a time.. start with what you CAN do. then tackle one small thing at a time, the thing that is keeping you overweight. do that for a week, and then do the next thing, say to yourself "today what can i work on, well maybe i can give up cake for dessert.. and maybe I will substitute some fruit for that so i can have something sweet. Little changes is what i mean if thats all you can handle.

I think one big change - one plate of food at the buffet. or maybe dont go to the buffet if you cannot handle one plate of food, and i dont mean piling all the food and make it one plate of a mountain of food.
  • pktruckdriver
    pktruckdriver Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ok , many thanks to all of you.

I kinda thought NS would be a no good idea. Juicing, , I too am not ready for and unable to do currently, in the future , maybe.

I had a good response planned here , but will not post it. just wanted say thanks for the reponses.

Have a great day all

patrick
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    counting calories and making better choices is whats going to work for you nutrisytem is ok but very small portions..i found myself wanting double at 280
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I will tell you what is helping me, as it is so convenient! I use a George Foreman grill!! It cooks fast, cleans up super easy and you can marinate your meat or fish to add even more flavor!

This will allow you to control your sodium, fat and calories in your meal. I got my GF at a yard sale, but would replace it at full price if this one wore out and I couldn't find one gently used!

If you get a large one, which can cook about 4 burgers at a time, vs the smaller, 1-2 burger size, you can also grill your vegies at the same time! Mushrooms, green onion, peppers and onion are yummy. 7 minute dinner you are in control of!!

this plus a crockpot would make it super easy to prepare meals in advance for the week

like the poster above said, you could grill 4 burgers (2 beef, 2 turkey, whatever), make some couscous/orzo/rice, separate rice into 4 portions and put in a storage container. Top with burger and sprinkle some frozen chopped broccoli around the sides...voila, you have 4 meals done already

put about 2 lbs. of lean meat the the crockpot. put in a can of diced tomatoes, couple of chopped green peppers, an onion, couple tomatoes, some seasoning and cook for 6 hrs on low. add in 1/4-1/2 cup of uncooked rice/orzo etc the last hour or so. separate into 4 containers and top with some more veggies....4 more meals done

make some spaghetti - get a large spaghetti squash. poke some holes in it and put it in a 375 degree oven for an hour or so. brown a pound of lean ground beef or turkey, add in a jar of spaghetti sauce. cut squash in half and use a fork to scrape out each half...it will come apart and look like spaghetti. divide into 4 containers. top with the sauce mixture and sprinkle some parmesean cheese on.....4 more down

i know it takes a little more time but it seems like that would taste better and be more filling than the prepackaged food :flowerforyou:

edit: uh oh i just saw your a trucker sorry about that....oh well if you're ever at home maybe these will help :smile:
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    Hi Patrick - what do you think you are going to do, now that the Nutrasystem you think is a not good idea?

What exactly are you going to do this week in order to be healthier?

Have a plan!
  • SlvrFlame
    SlvrFlame Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was at 300lbs when I started NS. Some of the foods were ok for a while (I really liked the lunch bars) but after a while I started getting tired of the same things. I couldn't stomach certain ones so I OD'ed on the ones I did like. While I had some success on it (30-35 lbs) I still cancelled not too long ago. I can put that money to better use.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My husband tried it once. Not only did he think it was gross, but we both were shocked at how little of the food you are expected to eat is really included. Someone said that the "chicken sandwich" is just a gross "patty". This is clearly not a sandwich, nor is it a meal. There was a LOT of food (salads, bread items, fruits for snack, etc) and he felt like it was a total ripoff.