Anyone who cannot lose weight with dieting alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    And no adult (without a severe, extraordinary disease, at any rate) is going to make themselves unhealthy by dropping a little bit below maintenance, just because their maintenance calories seem low to them.

If 1200 is really your maintenance (unless you're extremely small and/or bedridden, this is hugely improbable), 1000 calories is not going to hurt you. And on the much larger chance that you're merely miscounting, (and assuming that you are managing to be consistent) dropping to what you incorrectly count as 1000 calories is not going to hurt you.

Thanks for your insight but you got it wrong.

Please read the original post. I have explicitly mentioned that I do not need any advice regarding food scales or counting or deficit.

All i want is some data.

Thanks anyway.

I have realised that one cannot post anything on MFP without it becoming something regarding weighing your food.

You want data that doesn't exist. Every body loses weight whilst eating at a deficit. Simple science.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do count everything I eat. I cook it myself so I know the exact quantity and nutritional value of the food I make. I think this makes the point of using a scale rather moot.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you know how Indian food is cooked or for how many people I cook? Or how many portions i cook? Or how many times a day, week, month i cook?

Don't be judgemental about things you don't know.
  • nehaad88
    Options
    And no adult (without a severe, extraordinary disease, at any rate) is going to make themselves unhealthy by dropping a little bit below maintenance, just because their maintenance calories seem low to them.

If 1200 is really your maintenance (unless you're extremely small and/or bedridden, this is hugely improbable), 1000 calories is not going to hurt you. And on the much larger chance that you're merely miscounting, (and assuming that you are managing to be consistent) dropping to what you incorrectly count as 1000 calories is not going to hurt you.

Please read the original post. I have explicitly mentioned that I do not need any advice regarding food scales or counting or deficit.

All i want is some data.

Thanks anyway.

I have realised that one cannot post anything on MFP without it becoming something regarding weighing your food.

You want data that doesn't exist. Every body loses weight whilst eating at a deficit. Simple science.

That's the whole point of asking.

I want to know what other factors are at play.

I came to know 2 from initial points before this thread got out of hand.
    1. Insulin resistance
    2. 2. PCOS
    3. Boredom of the slow pace of weightloss by counting calories (may be)
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

No, I said what you didn't want to hear, but everything I said was completely right.

I read this and understood you said it. But you don't get to post preposterous myths on a subject on a forum specfically about that subject AND only get the response you want to hear.

If I go onto historum and say "now I don't need any advice regarding ancient near eastern history/logic/historical methods, but I just want to know is anyone else descended from the nephilim aliens that were in Babylon, that's the only data I want" I am not going to get the response I'm looking for, and rightly so.
    All i want is some data.

You only want data to confirm what you already believe. You don't want data that engages head on with claims that you made.

You absolutely can. You just can't make a post stating erroneous ideas on weighing food and magically expect everyone to not respond to them and keep the subject to only what you want to talk about.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had to find a hack to break the cycle. I'm someone who has gone from morbidly obese to close to normal weight with all kinds of calorie restriction diets, including Medifast. Sadly, I've done this 4 times. It fails every time. Your body gets really tuned to know when it's time to conserve fat. Cut your calories, and your body slows down to match what's going in. Plus, almost everyone will revert back to their old habits after suffering for months.

I adopted LCHF with intermittent fasting. This keeps the engine burning fat for fuel...I think. I don't weigh my food and I don't count calories. I log my food so I can keep my fat, carbs, and protein ratios where I want them. Tough to argue with 40 pounds in 12 weeks!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24945404-the-obesity-code
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Good luck and I hope you find success too!
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options

Do you know how Indian food is cooked or for how many people I cook? Or how many portions i cook? Or how many times a day, week, month i cook?

Do you know what I even wrote? Do you have the slightest idea what I said about anything?

No I don't know the answers to those questions, but the argument you provided makes no sense. Here it is: "I do count everything I eat. I cook it myself so I know the exact quantity and nutritional value of the food I make. I think this makes the point of using a scale rather moot."

Cooking food yourself does not = knowing the exact quantities and nutritional value of food you make. It just doesn't.

There could be stuff you're NOT telling us that means you do somehow know the exact quantity/nutritional value of what you're eating, but you left it completely out of your statement (and every other post), which in itself makes no sense.
  • nehaad88
    edited February 2017
    Options

No, I said what you didn't want to hear, but everything I said was completely right.

I read this and understood you said it. But you don't get to post preposterous myths on a subject on a forum specfically about that subject AND only get the response you want to hear.

If I go onto historum and say "now I don't need any advice regarding ancient near eastern history/logic/historical methods, but I just want to know is anyone else descended from the nephilim aliens that were in Babylon, that's the only data I want" I am not going to get the response I'm looking for, and rightly so.
    All i want is some data.

You only want data to confirm what you already believe. You don't want data that engages head on with claims that you made.

You absolutely can. You just can't make a post stating erroneous ideas on weighing food and magically expect everyone to not respond to them and keep the subject to only what you want to talk about.

Those were some big words there.

I think you read what you wanted to and responded how you are programmed to without understanding the requirement of the situation.

If I explicitly asked that I don't want any advice then why would you go on bombarding me with your science?

And I would like to know what "preposterous myths" I am spreading? Where in the entire earlier post did I say that dont count your calories or it doesn't work?

I am asking if despite doing everything people are not losing then there has to be some other factors. Hormonal imbalances are the most well known factors off-setting your weight loss.

All I wanted to know if people were trying something adjunctive.

If calorie counting only works for you then I am happy for you.

There are people like me who are prediabetic at 27 with underactive thyroid. And calorie counting sure as hell does not work for me.

Don't answer if you don't understand the question.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Yes. I had to find a hack to break the cycle. I'm someone who has gone from morbidly obese to close to normal weight with all kinds of calorie restriction diets, including Medifast. Sadly, I've done this 4 times. It fails every time. Your body gets really tuned to know when it's time to conserve fat. Cut your calories, and your body slows down to match what's going in. Plus, almost everyone will revert back to their old habits after suffering for months.

I adopted LCHF with intermittent fasting. This keeps the engine burning fat for fuel...I think. I don't weigh my food and I don't count calories. I log my food so I can keep my fat, carbs, and protein ratios where I want them. Tough to argue with 40 pounds in 12 weeks!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24945404-the-obesity-code
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Good luck and I hope you find success too!

I don't think this is on topic, but I just want to point out that fats/carbs/protein=calories. If you're accurately tracking those things, you know how many calories you're taking in. Also, if you're losing weight, you're consuming fewer calories than you need to maintain, regardless of whether you're counting them or not
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do count everything I eat. I cook it myself so I know the exact quantity and nutritional value of the food I make. I think this makes the point of using a scale rather moot.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Nobody is judging you, just stating that what you think you are eating is not necessarily reality. There are many many people here who cook for their families, large and small, who still lose weight.

All i want is some data.

Thanks anyway.

1. Insulin resistance
    2. 2. PCOS

IR just means dietary tweaks.

PCOS just means dietary tweaks.

Boredom is behavioural and/or unrealistic expectations and possibly inaccurate logging.

Nobody is special. Science and physiology dictates that if you are eating under your maintenance calories your body absolutely must use stored energy (from fat and muscle) to fuel daily processes. This is inescapable fact.

If someone isn't losing weight, exercise or not, they are eating too much. Science.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options
    repost

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

All i want is some data.

Thanks anyway.

1. Insulin resistance
    2. 2. PCOS

1. and 2. have specific dietary requirements.

3. is not a matter of can/cannot.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options

Those were some big words there.

I think you read what you wanted to and responded how you are programmed to without understanding the requirement of the situation.

This is word salad. I don't think you have the slightest clue of what it was I even wrote.
    If I explicitly asked that I don't want any advice then why would you go on bombarding me with your science?

That's literally what my post you're quoting here explains.

If I go onto historum and say "now I don't need any advice regarding history, but I just want to know is anyone else descended from the nephilim aliens that were in Babylon, that's the only data I want" I am not going to get the response I'm looking for, and rightly so.
    And I would like to know what "preposterous myths" I am spreading?

Those posts of mine and others that you're not reading/responding to laid it out pretty clearly.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

All i want is some data.

Um. What now? Why do you take issue with science? that's what calorie counting is. The science of weight loss.

I'm sorry you're not getting the confirmation bias you want.
  • comeonnow142857
    edited February 2017
    Options

Um. What now? Why do you take issue with science? that's what calorie counting is. The science of weight loss.

I'm sorry you're not getting the confirmation bias you want.

That statement had such a crazy sense of entitlement I suspect it's a parody.

Brb asking physicsforums why they aren't giving into my demands to poll the amount of members who've created perpetual motion machines WHEN I EXPLICITLY ASKED THEM I DON'T NEED thermodynamics advice!

And then accusing them of not reading/understanding my question because they aren't following my demands.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

All i want is some data.

Thanks anyway.

1. Insulin resistance
    2. 2. PCOS

A whole load of other factors come in to play. Hormones, sleep, salt content, even the temperature outside.

They don't negate the fact that the human body needs fuel. If you put in less fuel than you are using it must use it's fat stores as fuel.

• Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I cannot lose only on diet alone if my diet includes the carb amounts listed on here... I have medical issues which prevent it.... dunno if this is what you mean.
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    The true answer to the thread title is only people who are impervious to encountering controlled conditions.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    The simple fact is that there is nobody that cannot lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. There are only people that do not lose weight because they are not creating a calorie deficit.

You are eating more than you think. It sounds like you know that a food scale is recommended and choose not to use one anyway. You are free to do as you please, of course, but it means that you don't really know how much you are eating.

I am Indian and our food habits are significantly different and way more flexible than what I have seen here (no I dont eat the famous "Indian curry" and "naanbread" everyday).

And I agree,in an ideal world, dietary deficit should lead to standard weight loss pattern.

I would like you to answer this then- why isn't weight loss linear? I am cutting 3500 calories, I should lose 1 lb of pure fat every week. Why doesnt this happen?

I am not trying to argue just for the sake of argument here. I have seen people getting mocked for their desperation. I have seen threads where people are asking for help and all they are being told (rather rudely) that they are eating more than they should. Most of those advising are not ready to accept that there might be other factors for consideration.

The laws of physics dictate that we cannot create energy from nothing. If anyone eats less calories than they burn each day, they must lose weight.

If you don't weigh your food, you can't really know how much you are eating. You are guessing, and research shows that people, even dietitians, are lousy at guessing portion sizes.

The people responding to your question are trying to help you, as I am, but you seem determined to ignore any advice that doesn't match what you are already doing and already believe. MFP works, as evidenced by the many, many people that have lost weight using it (including myself), but it can't work magic. It's just a tool, and like all tools it depends on how it is used. Give it better data and it will work better.

• comeonnow142857
    Options
    "that they are eating more than they should. Most of those advising are not ready to accept that there might be other factors for consideration."

Everyone accepts there are other factors for consideration.

What is orders of magnitude more common than proper employment of control measures, is people refusing to accept that they are eating more than they realise.