CKD Carb load inquiry

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
My current macro split is 65f/5c/30p on my carb load day how much calories do I add to carbs and protein and remove from fat?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor and get a referral to a dietician!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    That really doesn't sound like a heathy split to me at all. How can you possibly get enough fibre into your diet with only 5% of carbs a day? Not to mention all that fat.

I agree that a visit to a dietitian is in order to find a balanced diet that is right for you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You leave protein static on the refeed days. The carbs and fat get moved to being inversely proportionate. The more carbs you add, the more fat you knock off.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    You leave protein static on the refeed days. The carbs and fat get moved to being inversely proportionate. The more carbs you add, the more fat you knock off.

Thanks gallow. I'm reading everywhere 65/5/39 is a good place to start and this split gives me 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Is 5% carbs too low like the others are saying
  • ZodFit
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    That really doesn't sound like a heathy split to me at all. How can you possibly get enough fibre into your diet with only 5% of carbs a day? Not to mention all that fat.

I agree that a visit to a dietitian is in order to find a balanced diet that is right for you.

Even when all my fats come from nuts, lean meats, olive oil, avocados etc?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Thanks gallow. I'm reading everywhere 65/5/39 is a good place to start and this split gives me 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Is 5% carbs too low like the others are saying

It depends upon goals and individual response. CKD and SKD just made me fat when eating at a surplus, but works fine with a deficit when cutting.

Basically, I get better results on LBM building with higher (30-35%) carbs, same protein (40%), and lower fat (25-30%). But when peeling fat off, I find my best results with a protocol that produces nutritional ketosis, but involves almost no fat either, other than EFAs.

Basically, you're gonna have to play with things to figure out what gives you the best results.

For the record, I did my last long bout of weight loss, from 190 to 150, in just a few months. I was mostly sedentary, ate 1400/day, and it was a 35/60/5 p/f/c ratio. In retrospect, I should have kept protein higher.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would bring this question to the Low Carber Daily. There's a few in there who do TKD or CKD for bulks. There are a few who just up their keto calories too. It really varies.

The only reason not to increase carbs for a bulk are if you use those macros for therapeutic reasons, like in the treatment of IR, AI issues, or neurological problems.

Try ketogains on reddit. They could probaby offer a air bit of advice.
    Please talk to your doctor and get a referral to a dietician!

Are there many dieticians, or doctors, who actually know CKD? My guess is that most would just freak out about the high dietary fat of those macros, based on outdated and poor science. Hopefully I am wrong.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    5% C is fine for keto, or 10%.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Bulking on CKD appears to be ineffective from what I have read.
  • ZodFit
    Options
    I'm cutting it's working better than my 40/30/30 split for fat loss. How you get all your fiber in wi4h l9w carb. Need some serious fibourous veggies
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting it's working better than my 40/30/30 split for fat loss. How you get all your fiber in wi4h l9w carb. Need some serious fibourous veggies

Consider focusing on fat (MCT and nuts), salt, and magnesium. That might help.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I ate a fair amount of spinach and mustard greens for fiber during keto.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fiber doesn't go towards your carb limit for low-carb, you can eat as much of it as you want since it's metabolized by gut bacteria and not glucose metabolism. That's why I prefer to set my goals in grams rather than by percentage.

I don't do CKD per se, I kinda just eat some carbs when I know I'll be doing heavy weightlifting or high intensity drills.
    But, I'd think of a carb-load this way: while you're doing keto, you're depleting your liver glycogen, and eventually if you're moving around and lifting things your muscle glycogen. The liver stores roughly 100 g and your muscles 300-400 g. So if the carb-load is supposed to replenish glycogen, I'd go with 200 - 300 g.

Personally I don't like doing a "carb-load" because I insta-gain up to 10 lbs of water (seriously), and while it will come off within the week, it makes me feel sluggish and puffy and terrible. If you find you have this issue also, you may want to check out TKD (targeted ketogenic diet) where you eat carbs specifically around exercise ... kinda like what I do above but with more structure I think.

Probably some people on the various keto subreddits or the groups here could be a bit more helpful.