Need help! Slim down big shoulders/arms?

Options
Hi guys!

I am new to these forums and looking for some advice in slimming down the top part of my arms/shoulders (deltoids?) which are quite bulky! My arms look similar to the pic below, however no where near as toned and my shoulders (or top part of my arms) are bigger than the rest of my arms:

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/video/toned-defined-arms-workout-no-weights-needed/

I want to try and slim down my arms/shoulders as tshirts are always tight around this area, and it makes me look bigger than what I am. I am not really overweight, I just have big arms.

thank you!
liz

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need to lose fat. Eat in a slight deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Those are great arms in the pic! You can't spot reduce. If you're of a normal weight, this might be your natural size and shape. Arms and shoulders are one of the first areas to lean out on most people. The underarm fat, so called bingo wings, is one of the last to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT slim your arms by directly exercising them. If there's fat around them, fat isn't affect by direct exercise. As mention, you need to be on a calorie deficit consistently to lower body fat and like many women, your genetics may just predispose you for holding a lot of fat in your arms.

And that video is pretty horrible. Yes there are body weight exercises you can do for arms, but all she did was muscular endurance isometric work. There's a place for isometrics in any program, but this AIN'T gonna slim your arms down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you have no definition in your arms then that tells us you likely have a good layer of fat that you can lose. So as bove, eat at a deficit to lose some of that fat.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit/fat loss.
    You probably don't have nearly as much muscle in your shoulders as you think.

I have been trying to purposefully build my shoulders up for almost 3 years and they're still not large by any means. Extra body fat there definitely makes mine look larger than they actually are. If I leaned out I think they'd look pretty small..
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I hate wearing sleeves as they are often too tight. In fact I cant wear my work uniform atm purely because my arms dont fit into it and my dominant arm has some definition that pops through even though its actually the bigger arm. Add to that the fact I am not flat chested so shirts are a nightmare as they are all competing for space in the same area. By the time I get something to fit my arms and chest it usually ends up looking like a sack on the rest of me.

So I have no advice for you other than when you do find a shirt that fits over your arms stock up.
  • lizzywilliamsxoxo
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am counting calories at the moment and trying to lose some weight as well, but just wanted to know a way of slimming down/toning up arms at the same time as doing cardio and dieting. I have back issues so can't lift too heavy or do pushups.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just lose fat through a deficit. Can't spot reduce or we'd all have shredded abs