Need to ideas for food or meal prep

Options
2»

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my crock pot. If you like spicy, then toss in chicken, hot sauce, some butter/butter sub, then when it comes out add it to penne pasta or rice.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have found that as long as I can have variety in my dinners and weekend meals, I'm happy eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch 5 days a week. For workday lunches I make black beans and rice for 3 days at a time and portion it out.

I'm about to use my last can of beans (I bought a ton of no-sodium cans when I started this method), and then I'm going to rework my recipe to use dry beans and get 5 days worth at a time. More effort per batch, but fewer batches and less money.

Saute onion and garlic in oil (I'm using coconut oil right now but after I use it up I'm gonna switch to olive, I think). When they have browned just a bit, I add black beans, tomatoes, peppers (I was using canned green chilies, but have switched to fresh anaheims and serranos), red wine vinegar, cilantro, cumin, ancho chili powder, oregano, hot sauce, a small amount of parmesan cheese, and a tiny bit of kosher salt. I also add pumpkinseed protein powder, and a bit of water if needed to get the consistency right. I make my beans while my rice cooker does its magic, and when they're both done, I portion them out and call it a day. Easy and delicious.

I have eaten it every workday but three for a month and a half, and I am not even a little tired of it. I eat it with some grape tomatoes, and maybe a little cheese if I'm still hungry.
  • dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm also a crock pot fan. A good size cheap whole chicken, salt and pepper and what ever you want. I like to let it sit in frig for a few hours unwrapped, soaking in the salt and pepper. Cook on high with about 1/2 cup of liquid in bottom. High for about 3-4 hours. I get chicken breast for dinner, chicken salad and then usually chicken tacos out of one chicken.

Second fav is a flat cut brisket. Salt pepper and BBQ seasoning. Overnight in frig uncovered. Directly in crockpot with some liquid in bottom (BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke). Don't let all the liquid to dry out, it will burn. Just add some water if needed. Cook on low 4-5 hours until falling apart. I like to let mine completely cool completely in liquid. But you don't have to. I get BBQ sandwiches, brisket and eggs, tacos, and salad topped out of one good size flat cut brisket.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've only just started meal prepping for the week but so far I've really liked the idea of one-pan meals. They are easy to make and separate into containers for the week. Here's one my hubby and I have been eating for lunch this week:

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/one-pan-healthy-chicken-veggies/

This was enough for 4 lunches and one small dinner for one of my kiddos. I also love eating dinner leftovers for lunch. I think this Sunday I'll prepare two different one-pan meals and freeze half of each for a later date :-)
  • MarriedchunkyK
    MarriedchunkyK Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I second YouTube. Batch cooking chicken etc on grill or crockpot. I like omelettes and I style them differently depending on my mood. Sometimes if I need more fat in my day I throw in avocado. I'm a huge fan of peach or mango salsa. Salsa is usually low calorie but there are a bunch of different kinds so I don't get bored. Good luck!