Confused logging chicken

Options
Grilled chicken with bone and skin. Do you weigh the whole chicken breast with bone and skin and use what's in the database? Your not actually eating the bone...so I am confused. Or do you take the meat off the bone and count that only. Help!

Replies

• ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Weigh the whole thing before you eat it

Weigh what's left over when the meal is done.

You can separate the meat prior to eating, but that just seems unnecessary.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    From my understanding... If you are eating bone in chicken (say chicken leg) and you log a chicken leg the bone is acounted for. So if your chciken leg was 2oz but only 1oz of meat the database knows that and adjusts for that.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tend to just take the meat off the bone of the chicken and then weigh that, using an entry for chicken that uses oz as a measurement.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    From my understanding... If you are eating bone in chicken (say chicken leg) and you log a chicken leg the bone is acounted for. So if your chciken leg was 2oz but only 1oz of meat the database knows that and adjusts for that.

But how does the database know how much of your chicken leg was bone?

OP, if you want to be exact, weigh it before, then weigh what's left when you're done and subtract it. This works for all sorts of things where only part is edible, like bananas, apples, avocados etc.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    But how does the database know how much of your chicken leg was bone?

OP, if you want to be exact, weigh it before, then weigh what's left when you're done and subtract it. This works for all sorts of things where only part is edible, like bananas, apples, avocados etc.
    Yeah, on the USDA website, it states that the nutrition is for the edible portion.

• jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! That clears it up! I will be weighing before and after:). I can't do without my husbands delicious grilled chicken.