Has anyone on MFP had any success with weight loss using Eliptical?

Options
I know eating right is important. I have Treadmill and may change it up and get Eliptical. Just wondering if you thought it helped you with weight loss?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    treadmill or elliptical , either one it doesn't matter. Do what you enjoy most. For weight loss what is far more important is your diet.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a real difference between one or the other, but I prefer the elliptical.
    That said, I am now starting to see the changes I want by adding weight lifting to my workouts.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It's a good way to get your cardio in. Make sure you add some resistance.
  • sijaeabc
    sijaeabc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Elliptical changed my life by making it convenient to get exercise no matter what. It's much more comfortable for my body and is better for posture/body mechanics than treadmill I think. Also I can do elliptical even when I am dealing with back or neck problems which has really helped with staying on track.

So I highly recommend it but of course it only works if you use it, otherwise it's a crazy expensive coat rack
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my cardio of choice. Give it a try for a few days, you'll be hooked.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine, will burn calories, and build yoyr cardiovascular fitness, but do what you like best. If you enjoy the exercise you are doing, you'll be more likely to stick with it. I personally prefer running outside, but I do add 1 day of non running cardio each week, alternating between bike, elliptical, and stair climber.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I like my elliptical a lot more than a treadmill because I can increase the resistance and change it to hill vs flat.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love it all. I alternate between the two. It's a great workout! Love the resistance options. You can squat down a bit and feel it more in the rear too.
  • jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Airdyne? Doesn't matter between the two. Either will give you that calorie burn. I prefer the elliptical. But I've heard thst the Airdyne is king
  • jlarson3821
    jlarson3821 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find a good elliptical easier on my knees than a treadmill. so I prefer that over the elliptical. I still try to mix it up if I see plateaus in my progress. At some point your body adapts to the excersises and you see less results unless you can mix it up.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I found the elliptical perfect to get in a good cardio workout - I have a really bad knee and did not want to risk running until losing the weight. I lost ~60 lbs in a year mostly from keeping my intake in deficit, but 30 mins of elliptical daily was key to this.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ARC Trainer because not only is easier on my knees (OA in one and presently recovering from TKA in the other so not doing much cardio), but it also allows me to hit different targets in the lower extremities by changing to the different programs. The treadmill is BAD on my knees, and the elliptical has a stride that is too long for my short legs. The ARC is perfect for me.
    OP, do what fits your needs and your body better; the best exercise is the one that you do with pleasure which in turn will bring you better results. But for losing weight you need to eat less and move more.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Burning calories is burning calories. Exercise definitely helps me lose weight but my exercise of choice is running. Do whatever you enjoy most for the greatest chance of success.