Chest pain from working out?

Options
Has anyone else experienced any chest pain while working out? Does anyone know what causes this?

This is the first time I've experienced it, and I've been working out diligently for the past 3 months. I started Insanity 2 weeks ago, and today for the first time, I felt the pain during warm up while doing Pure Cardio. I'm not hugely overweight. I'm 5'4" and 147 lbs. I haven't been doing any other workouts, and I really love Insanity and don't want to quit.
Also, I'm observing Ramadan (4 weeks where you cannot eat or drink anything between around 3:30 am to 7:40 pm), but I workout 4 or 5 hours after I can finally eat.

Do you think my lack of eating throughout the day might be causing this? How do I avoid this chest pain?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Ok, as someone who has been dealing with this for a long time now, just do something really quick for me. Have someone poke at where your ribs meet your breastbone. If it hurts really bad, you might have costochondritis like me. Mine first started after a cold. It's a fairly common problem and easy to get under control, but a lot of times it's the last thing docs test for (the test is literally poking the chest like I said) But if it's happening every now and again and isn't very constant, probably not. If not, it could be just over exertion (especially if you're not eating and don't have the same amount of energy that you need for something like Insanity) and maybe a bit of swelling. Where does it hurt? Outside of the lungs? Bottom of the lungs? Around the heart?
  • tryingtoshed
    tryingtoshed Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    its definitely my heart
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    Hmm. It could just be some inflammation from breathing too hard. Do you happen to have mustard seed oil around? If you rub that on your chest, it's great for reducing inflammation. I use that instead of taking pills. I don't like pills. Also, if you have turmeric in your house, taking a spoonful of that (I put mine in gelatin capsules) would help IF it is inflammation. If it continues for more than a day, I would really think about going to your GP. If it is inflammation, it's pretty easy to fix, but you want to make sure it's not something more serious.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    its definitely my heart

See your doctor.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    its definitely my heart

See your doctor.

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • tryingtoshed
    Options
    Gahhh, I'm visiting a foreign country (3rd world country...) for the next four weeks... can't see a doctor til then.
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    Gahhh, I'm visiting a foreign country (3rd world country...) for the next four weeks... can't see a doctor til then.

Crap. Definitely stop working out then. You don't want to make it worse. There isn't anything?
  • tryingtoshed
    Options
    I wouldn't really trust a doctor here anyway. I'm thinking I'll just give myself a few days rest and then try again.
  • aquarabbit
    Options
    I wouldn't really trust a doctor here anyway. I'm thinking I'll just give myself a few days rest and then try again.

Try to give yourself at least a week. Even if you feel better. There are so many things it could be while you're traveling. Just be extra careful.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Where are you that you can't trust a doctor? Some third world countries have well trained doctors. Do you have a regular physician or an advice nurse in your home country that you could call?

At the very least, don't exercise until you've been to a doctor, or talked to one.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor. IMHO, since you are observing Ramadan and sweating from cardio, I think you are severely dehydrated. Dehydration can also cause heart issues.

My co-worker observes Ramadan too and is always saying how thirsty he is and that he will set his alarm for 2:30am so he can drink a lot of water.

Please take care :flowerforyou:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You are pretty young, and that might make some kind of newly developed heart problem unlikely.
    Ruling out the heart, the most likely source of chest pain tends to be gastroesophageal reflux. Meaning: the contents of your stomach are not staying there, but rather are getting up into your throat. It feels uncomfortable, and often hurts, because the stomach acid irritates the esophagus.
    Try not eating too much before working out, and/or giving yourself an hour, at least, after eating before you work out. Might be that, having fasted all day, you are eating too much in the evening before you work out, and there is still a lot of food in your stomach when you get to the gym.
    See a doctor as soon as you get back!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    You are pretty young, and that might make some kind of newly developed heart problem unlikely.

Best to let a doctor rule out anything serious, even though it is most likely nothing serious. Young people can have congenital heart defects, or end up with an infection that has attacked the heart or heart valves. That's why young people occasionally drop dead playing football or basketball, in spite of having no known history of heart problems.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced any chest pain while working out? Does anyone know what causes this?

This is the first time I've experienced it, and I've been working out diligently for the past 3 months. I started Insanity 2 weeks ago, and today for the first time, I felt the pain during warm up while doing Pure Cardio. I'm not hugely overweight. I'm 5'4" and 147 lbs. I haven't been doing any other workouts, and I really love Insanity and don't want to quit.
    Also, I'm observing Ramadan (4 weeks where you cannot eat or drink anything between around 3:30 am to 7:40 pm), but I workout 4 or 5 hours after I can finally eat.

Do you think my lack of eating throughout the day might be causing this? How do I avoid this chest pain?

Chest pain should never be ignored, ever.

You are strongly advised to go to the doctors OP, I cannot stress enough how important it is that you do not push the pain to one side and continue training without getting checked out first.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Best to let a doctor rule out anything serious, even though it is most likely nothing serious. Young people can have congenital heart defects, or end up with an infection that has attacked the heart or heart valves. That's why young people occasionally drop dead playing football or basketball, in spite of having no known history of heart problems.

Hey friend,
    That is all true. It is why I said "newly developed."
    Surely it is possible she has a congenital defect, but that is not new and, since she played lacrosse, she probably has already had a sports physical.
    An infection of the heart valves is generally fairly unlikely unless she is using intravenous drugs or had some kind of dirty injection.
    And, the people who drop dead playing basketball or volleyball have Marfan's syndrome, a rare genetic disorder one would probably know they had, or they are abusing cocaine heavily.
    Please, I am not trying to be irresponsible. However, reflux is common, heart problems in the young are not.
    It is just a suggestion.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Hey friend,
    Surely it is possible she has a congenital defect, but that is not new and, since she played lacrosse, she probably has already had a sports physical.
    An infection of the heart valves is generally fairly unlikely unless she is using intravenous drugs or had some kind of dirty injection.
    And, the people who drop dead playing basketball or volleyball have Marfan's syndrome, a rare genetic disorder one would probably know they had, or they are abusing cocaine heavily.
    Please, I am not trying to be irresponsible. However, reflux is common, heart problems in the young are not.
    It is just a suggestion.

You don't need a dirty injection to get strep into the bloodstream. It could happen at the dentist. But that isn't the point. Anyone having chest pain should have it checked out, now, not in a month.

You're right that heart problems in young people aren't common. You're wrong that they're mostly caused by Marfan's or drug abuse. If you want to get a more accurate idea of things that could cause heart problems in young people, here's a link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sudden-death/HB00092
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Do you get short of breath with the chest pain and does the pain going anywhere else other than your chest? Is it a heaviness or sharp stabbing pains? Do you feel nauseated with the chest pain? Do you have a family history of heart problems? And how old are you? You can message me with these answers if you want. I am a nurse, and what I would say as a nurse is to consult with your family Doctor. The fact you've already been doing this for 3 months and it only started 2 weeks ago makes me wonder. It may not be your heart.
  • iamjuju17
    iamjuju17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is probably because you might be dehydrated.
    Worse case scenario:
    If this happens only when working out, Your doc will evaluate you to see if u have any kind of heart disease (clogged heart arteries which may make it difficult to get blood to your heart when you are exerting yourself). It may be unlikely, if you don't have high blood pressure/diabetes or other risk factors (your doc will evaluate).
    It's really bad if you start getting chest pain not doing anything whatsoever, which seems like you're not getting that; therefore not making it super urgent.
    Anyways, Go see your doctor as soon as you get back.
  • Senneth12
    Senneth12 Posts: 72
    Options
    Hey friend,

And, the people who drop dead playing basketball or volleyball have Marfan's syndrome, a rare genetic disorder one would probably know they had

I just wanted to touch on this point. A lot of people who have Marfan's or other connected disorders don't know they have it, and routine sports physicals often miss it. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, a rare genetic connective tissue disorder that can also cause heart problems. I had seven highly respected/well trained orthopedic doctors miss it, including one who operated on me. This is common with EDS and with Marfan's. Doctors should catch it, but they don't.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Hey friend,

And, the people who drop dead playing basketball or volleyball have Marfan's syndrome, a rare genetic disorder one would probably know they had

I just wanted to touch on this point. A lot of people who have Marfan's or other connected disorders don't know they have it, and routine sports physicals often miss it. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, a rare genetic connective tissue disorder that can also cause heart problems. I had seven highly respected/well trained orthopedic doctors miss it, including one who operated on me. This is common with EDS and with Marfan's. Doctors should catch it, but they don't.

My grandfather had Marfans, and died of it, after a series of heart problems at an early age.