Stay at home moms of young ones. How do you do loose?

13»

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited February 2017
    emmarrgh wrote: »
    I am a SAHM too and it's tough, I had to stop snacking when my son snacked, and stop buying the snacks like goldfish or alphabet cookies that I would just devour while Artie snacked lol. I buy fresh, frozen and canned veggies, so we ALWAYS have veggies with every meal, no excuses. Spinach with eggs, salad with lunch, roasted broccoli with dinner etc.

And I cook in a big batch and end up estimating how much I've taken from it, and I try to pick up more veggies and less everything else. It's not an exact science but right now it's working. Smaller plates help me have smaller portions. If I snack after Artie is in bed I enlist my hubby to make the snack and dole out ONE serving for me lol.

Activity wise, I have a Wii Fit that I exercise on during naptime, for 30 mins.but I don't fuss too much about it because I bought a fitness tracker, and my steps are 8-9k on a lazy day, and 12-13k on a busy day, so If I don't have energy for a workout, I let myself rest.

It's emotionally and physically tough to be a SAHM! But I'm determined to lose this weight and have lost about 8lbs so far, and I don't want to make any super drastic changes that won't stick.

This last one is a key point. If you are all gung ho and begin to exercise 6 days a week for an hour, you'll lose weight, but what about when something big comes up and you can't workout everyday? Or you just burn out? You really have to make the changes you know you can keep up with indefinitely--not just until you lose the weight. Maintenance is where it's at!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    RoteBook wrote: »
    I disagree with the posters who say not to eat what the kids eat. I don't eat exactly what they're eating every time, but I think it's important for us to eat approximately the same thing at mealtimes. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking they can only have kid foods, and I really don't want my kids to think that I need to eat some different food because I'm losing weight. Frankly, that sounds like a good way to give them a screwed up relationship with food.

I read those comments a little differently than you did. I interpreted that to mean "don't eat the kids' leftovers" and "just because they're having snacks in the afternoon, doesn't mean you have to too". I agree with both of those interpretations, and I also agree with what you posted. I think it's important to let my kids stop eating if they get full before the plate is empty - so that they can learn/remember what "full" feels like. And I don't need a snack every single time my toddler has a handful of cheerios or an apple or whatever. But at main meals, we all sit down to roughly the same food. (Mum and Dad may have an extra component or two.)