Weight loss without excersise

Options
I been on mfp a few months now and I'm
Following the calorie rules it sets out. I eat well I think and stay in the boundaries. I'm loosing weight steadily at an average of 1.3lbs a week. I'm happy.
My question is - is it ok to loose weight without excersise ? Will I be able to reach my goal? So far gone from 250-200lbs and want to go from 200-150
Once summer kicks in I can start walking more but the uk weather been hell this winter and maybe once I'm lighter and thinner I might feel like starting to tone but for now I just don't feel ready to excersise. What are your thoughts.

Replies

• mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There will come a time when eating just won't help you lose as much weight as you want. You may then consider incorporating more exercise.

For now, I definitely think you should up your steps. I live in England and as long as you've got a hood and a warm jacket, you can walk anywhere. Try doing 2 x 20 minutes walks at least 6 hours apart for a few weeks and see how much it improves things.

You don't need to start hitting the gym but just slowly incorporate some more movement for now :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can lose all the weight you want without exercising at all - but exercise is good for you and you can buy clothes for winter weather.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As others have said you can still lose without exercise but you can start to do little things to up your activity levels, I'm from the UK (the north) and have a desk job, so know how hard it is to get in when the weather is miserable.

Try doing things like going up and down your stairs at work or home more, parking at the back of a carpark if you drive, doing squats whilst you're watching the telly. But yeah just even getting your coat on and just walking round the block or to the shops and back even if its just 5 or 10mins here or there :) It won't speed your weightloss substantially but it will help maintain your muscles whilst your losing and is good for heart health. (also will help gear you up for summer if you intend to start a moderate exercise routine)
  • animatorswearbras
    Options
    Also congrats on the loss so far! 50 pounds is excellent!
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mbanks123 basically it's 15 mins walk there and same back to school and In September I was mostly walking to pick up but told daughter today we going to start walking all time. So that will be the 2 sets of 30 mins walks with 6 hour break . I totally don't object to that at all and on the way back from school we get to go park too.
  • mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Exercise. You will be better off. OK! Bad grammar but true statement.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I lost around 50lbs without any exercise. Been maintaining now for a few years (current bmi is just under 21), and I still don't do intentional exercise, though I'm more active now that I've lost the weight (house and yard work, family walks during nice weather etc).
  • mbanks123
    Options
    24clouds that is a great lifestyle change to make. You will feel a lot better for it :) keep at it and I've got my fingers crossed the weather gets better for us!
  • crzycatlady1
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »
    There will come a time when eating just won't help you lose as much weight as you want. You may then consider incorporating more exercise.

For now, I definitely think you should up your steps. I live in England and as long as you've got a hood and a warm jacket, you can walk anywhere. Try doing 2 x 20 minutes walks at least 6 hours apart for a few weeks and see how much it improves things.

You don't need to start hitting the gym but just slowly incorporate some more movement for now :)

That's not true. If you continue to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals, then you'll continue to lose weight. There's not magic set point where you'll stop losing weight if you're not exercising :p
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise but, as you loose, keep in mind skin gets saggy as we lose weight. The best advice I can give you is if you are able to exercise, please do so as you lose weight, you want to have firmer skin as you are losing.
  • mbanks123
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »

That's not true. If you continue to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals, then you'll continue to lose weight. There's not magic set point where you'll stop losing weight if you're not exercising :p

I agree but the more weight 24clouds loses, the more of a calorie deficit she will need. When you're getting closer to your goal weight, most people would rather up their activity than eating such a low deficit. It's much more sustainable :)

More activity is always a bonus and should never be discouraged.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ajoseph5 wrote: »
    You can lose weight without exercise but, as you loose, keep in mind skin gets saggy as we lose weight. The best advice I can give you is if you are able to exercise, please do so as you lose weight, you want to have firmer skin as you are losing.

Saggy skin has a lot to do with genetics. I lost the extra weight and I have no issues with saggy skin, even with no exercise during my weight loss phase.

OP-I'm not saying don't exercise, but it sounds like what you're doing is working well for you :)
  • 24clouds
    Options
    Basically this is what I figured, that as I loose more I'm going to have to move more rather than eat less as eating less than now would be hazardous. So by default I'm going to be looking at ways to increase steps etc. I am thankful that we are heading into better weather so it will be easier rather than approaching winter.
    I lost 40 kg 10 years ago when 25 and was running a lot and going gym. My issue with exercise this time is I feel after 2 kids my bladder is too weak to excerpt myself like before, my back is weaker and all my leg muscles tight. Obviously the cure is to get moving! I'm just scared to jump into it heavy which is why I think I want to reduce weight first and start slowly.
    Also stupid as it sound I'm concern trying to build up fitness and loose lbs at this point is going to be taking on too many goals , spinning too many plates and I will smash all the plates not the goals!
    Regardless I'm not negative and I'm defo up for walks and school run is the obvious choice x
  • mbanks123
    Options
    You've got the right idea. I fully agree that if you try too much all at once, it will all just go to pot. This isn't the case with everyone but I certainly know it is with me.

So don't massively overdo it, just keep slowly increasing what you do and if whatever you are doing is working then stick at it!
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also from the UK and find the weather can make the desire to head out for a walk less than, well, desirable. To combat this, I bought a treadmill on Ebay. Budget restrictions meant I bought it second-hand. As it turned out, it wasn't working, so managed to snag it for 99p! Luckily my OH and son are fixers, and managed to find that it was a £1 coin clogging up the works. So, quids in. I love the treadmill. I've increased my steps per day without stepping out into the rain. I walk at least 5 miles a day and earn the extra cals that brings, along with the health benefits of not being sedentary. I highly recommend it if it's only the weather that's stopping you from exercising.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Eating in a deficit is the only way to lose weight regardless if you exercise or not.

Strongly suggest to add resistance work as you eat in a deficit. Not doing so will mean losing more muscle. Yes you will lose weight, but by losing more muscle your body might not look the way you want still as most people find out the hard way and think they need to cardio more when it's actually poor body composition due to lack of muscle.

• 24clouds
    Options
    Thought about tread mill as hubby would benefit too but with 2 kids I just not got the space. Ive googled resistance bands and think that's what I will do after once I get into walking again. I'm sure once I'm doing 10000 steps a day and see the diff it will become addictive and then I will think hmmm what can I do next and remember oh yeah... bands lol
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    24clouds wrote: »
    Thought about tread mill as hubby would benefit too but with 2 kids I just not got the space. Ive googled resistance bands and think that's what I will do after once I get into walking again. I'm sure once I'm doing 10000 steps a day and see the diff it will become addictive and then I will think hmmm what can I do next and remember oh yeah... bands lol

If it helps, I don't know if this is true of all treadmills, but mine folds up out of the way when not in use.

I lost 60lbs without exercise but realised that without a change in lifestyle and attitude, I'd be unlikely to keep it off in the long term, so wanted to find something I enjoyed doing without an excuse (the weather) to put me off doing it.

Whatever you decide, very best of luck.
  • animatorswearbras
    Options
    The school walks sound like an excellent idea, healthy for everyone, gives you a purpose instead of making up a reason to go out for a walk and will save a bit of petrol money and wear and tear on the car. All the wins! :)