Excess skin and stuff?

Options
I was woundering, after you get to your goal weight and stuff if you have had to have the excess skin and stuff removed? and if you do does your stomac look ok afterwards like can you wear a bikini?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I don't have any lose skin so far (fingers crossed) That's really for people who've lost around a 100 lbs or more in a very short period of time. I have this if you're interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit

It's just some skincare tips that help during weight loss if you're worried about loose skin. Prevention is better than repair!
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i had too many layers of scarring from babies and weight gain and loss. I will likely never wear a bikini, and will likely need to have surgery. I was looking at before and afters this morning, the honest ones show a scar and a little sagging still, so the results aren't likely to be perfect. If you are not stetchy and scarred up though, you stand a good chance of keeping your skin taught by moisturizing and staying hydrated
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was woundering, after you get to your goal weight and stuff if you have had to have the excess skin and stuff removed? and if you do does your stomac look ok afterwards like can you wear a bikini?
    I had a lower body lift, with belly, butt and thighs done, then had my breasts done after 125lb loss, it looked and still looks fantastic, because i had the fleur de le, cut up the center of my stomach, my skin from the back was pulled to the front, when I regained 90lb, my abdomen still looks great , the weight came back in other areas, eg my saddle bags, boobs and butt:)
    editted to say, YES I looked great afterwards in a bikini:)
    the scars fade within a year
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I had a lower body lift, with belly, butt and thighs done, then had my breasts done after 125lb loss, it looked and still looks fantastic, because i had the fleur de le, cut up the center of my stomach, my skin from the back was pulled to the front, when I regained 90lb, my abdomen still looks great , the weight came back in other areas, eg my saddle bags, boobs and butt:)
    editted to say, YES I looked great afterwards in a bikini:)
    the scars fade within a year
    how much did that cost?
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    i have excess skin but I am not at my goal weight yet, not even half way there but what I am doing is just losing slowly. Seems to be working okay so far.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 140 pounds and I am not getting anywhere near a bikini.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person, age, amount of weight loss, time the extra weight was on your body, genetics, diet, exercise, etc. TOO many variables for a straight yes/no answer to your Q.

Someone posted a link from Tom Venuto on this and it made a lot of sense, but I can't find it right now...Sorry.

As for me personally, from my highest ever weight to now is about a 70 lb difference and some areas have almost no sag and look great (back, bum, breasts, legs, lower part of belly) while other areas (upper arms, midriff) have a ton of saggy looking skin.

It varies...
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    does it maybe shrink overtime? im planning on losing 220lbs more. Which will go from my highest weight 360 till now which im 341 to 130 as my goal weight (im 5'6) and want some room to regain a little. So I am going to lose a lot. I just really wanna one day wear a bikini...and i think it will be very depressing if i cant. I do have lots of stretch marks around my belly button since ive had a child. But i was kinda hopeing that one day....ill have that body... :(
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You can wear a bikini if you have extra skin or not. Who is stopping you?!?!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the bikini goal is very important to you, so maybe for you it would be worth having surgery someday. For me it wouldn't at all.

I have heard it can shrink more over time. So there's hope, right? Good luck on your journey!
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a tummy tuck a few years before getting pregnant with my third child at 37 (I know, right). I went to a really great surgeon, but I have some regrets. For one thing, I do not like the scar around my bellybutton, and the top above my bellybutton sticks out a little (sort of like a bit of a hood). I also have significant nerve loss in my abdomen, which means I can't really feel being touched there. The other thing is that I have more of a pronounced muffin top on my hips due to the scar. These things have nothing to do with weight gain or loss. This is just what surgery can do. Some people have flawless results and others don't. Yes, I could go back under the knife and pay more money to get some things tweaked, but I am not going to risk additional problems. At this stage, I'm just trying to accept and love my body as it is, and put effort into making some additional positive changes through my own work (I want some muscle definition in my upper body).