How much cardio vs weights?

Options
I am 214 heaviest I have ever been and thanks to 6 months on steroids due to a medical problem it hasnt been easy getting it off. I lift light weigh more reps in the mornings and do cardio but my attention span dosnt last more than 15min on a treadmil. I need tp tone up amd lose weight whats the ratio of cardio to weights that would be best? And ideas for more cardio?

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Whatever works best for you...weight loss comes down to having a calorie deficit

Amen... some like me - hate cardio and I limit my cardio to my walking (that's it) but others love it. I prefer strength training of some sort and for me that leads to bodyweight training - because I ENJOY it.. not because I have to but I want to :) It is all in "do you boo.. do you"...
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I recommend high intensity interval training (HIITs) instead of steady cardio. It burns fat in less time than walking on a treadmill for an hour. Start walking for a minute, then sprint as fast as you are able 45 seconds, then walk and rest for a minute, back and forth for about 10-15 mins. OR - a real killer is the stair climber on a high level and sprint up the stars 45 seconds at a time with rest in between. Short and sweet. I recommend doing it after weightlifting 3-4x per week.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If treadmills are boring do something fun. Walk, run, or ride a bike around your neighborhood. Join a sports league. Go hiking, skiing, or snowshoeing. Kayak or join a rowing team. There are lots of ways to get in cardio for the attentionally challenged. If you dislike all cardio it isn't even necessary. Just eat less food.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The best plan is ultimately the one you are going to stick to. I'd recommend doing some research into weight training because lifting light weights for high reps may not be the best use of your time nor give you the best results. H.I.I.T. is a good alternative to steady pace cardio work which many of us find boring anyway, as @refinedredbird mentioned above.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Ditto Malibu927, whatever works best for you! It all gets you going in the same right direction little by little.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm training for something specific, I keep it fairly balanced. I typically lift 3x per week and I ride 4-5 days per week. I always put a bit more emphasis on my riding namely because that's what I enjoy the most and I want to maintain a reasonable base of fitness for when I do have to step it up and start training.