Giving Strangers Rides

Options
bluecrush84
bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
edited February 2017 in Chit-Chat
Hey guys,

I went to the grocery store late at night after work. I work in the evening and get out late around midnight.

So I get some items, then get in line. While I am getting my items checked a random woman comes up to me and asks if I live in the area...I was taken off guard, so I said 'kind of...' then she asks me if I can give her a ride home. I told her 'sorry but I cannot.' She then asked the couple behind me and they told her no because they did not live in the area. She then walked away looking embarrassed and sad.

I felt bad not giving her a ride....but it was late at night, I am a single woman, and you never know what a stranger could do.

Last week a fellow employee asked for a ride to her car cause it was late, so I gave her a ride and helped her find her car.

I like helping people especially women at night but not if I am putting myself at risk. In the back of my head that saying nothing good happens after midnight rings in my head.

But I still feel bad...what would you do? Should I feel bad?

Replies

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I would have given her the lift.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    *kitten* no you shouldn't feel bad. She could of robbed you or had you go to an unsafe area.

giphy.gif
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    I'll be honest, people don't usually ask me for a lift
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

perhaps it's the smell coming from your trunk?

And OP I wouldn't feel badly that's kind of weird
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

The muffled screams maybe but the smell? I clean that *kitten* daily!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Tough to do these days. I wouldn't have and I'd never encourage anyone else either. I watch ID Network all the time and a lot of the heinous crap that happen to people are because they are very considerate and end up being targets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    I have had strangers on mfp ask me if I want a mustache ride. I find that a bit unnerving. I don't know them and they are old enough to be my dad in some cases.

I told you I would start shaving if that's all it would take.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I've given rides to strangers twice in my life and each have been creepy as hell. I'm fairly sure the last one had warrants. I'm done, though. The next one will probably be the one to murder me.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

The muffled screams maybe but the smell? I clean that *kitten* daily!

I thought that was just music. Man I need to reevaluate who I accept rides from in the future
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't do it. I just don't like the idea of strangers. I'm out and about doing my business, I get very uncomfortable when someone tries to start a conversation with me. That, and I really don't want to have to go even a block out of my way when I'm trying to go home. If you don't live on the way, you're in my way.

I do think it's weird that people's first reaction is to think that the woman was probably a serial killer. Like, what? It's far more likely that the lady's car had broken down and she didn't have the money to call for a cab. Especially if you saw her asking other people. Serial-killers are 85% male anyway, I don't think it's a matter of safety.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    She may not have been a serial killer, but there are a lot of red flags there. Even if her car broke down, she doesn't have a cell phone or anyone else to call?
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about that lady, to be honest. While considerate people can sometimes end up being targets, people in need are more often victims. She could have gotten into the car with someone who offered to take her home and never made it home at all.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I've never given a hitchhiker a ride before but..... I could make an exception in his case.
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Hell No ....U did right thing ...& what was that lady thinking jumping in a strangers car ...That could go wrong 4 her 2 ....
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I understand why you feel bad. But you never know who that person is.
    I would have given her $10 or $20 so that she can get a cab or something. It's just a sad world we live in.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    My ex gave hitch hikers rides all the time and my bf dropped a lady off at a gas station down the street a few weeks ago but I never would. My ex wanted to pick someone up while I was with him and I flat out told him no. I'm not about to get a gun or something pointed at my head even if it's unlikely. I understand wanting to help people out but for me, only if I knew you. I wouldn't feel bad about it. People are crazy out there and they prey on polite folk.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I read a book years ago about some girl who asked for a ride and the couple who picked her up kidnapped her and held her as a sex slave for years. There's a movie about it, I think it's called The Girl in the Box or something. Anyway, as bad as you feel about telling her no, you trusted your gut.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I read a book years ago about some girl who asked for a ride and the couple who picked her up kidnapped her and held her as a sex slave for years. There's a movie about it, I think it's called The Girl in the Box or something. Anyway, as bad as you feel about telling her no, you trusted your gut.

You are correct The Girl in the Box. Very true, very disturbing story.