Help - gluten and wheat intolerance

Options
2»

Replies

• theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Agree mostly with whats been said that sugar thing sounds complex maybe something to do with the way food is broken down in your gut check low food map diets and yeah stay away from free gluten products lol only drain your money buy whole foods and make your own products tonsof tasty recipes online all the best and trust me it gets easier much much easier :D
  • wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK look for rice/pasta/noodles made from Konjak root (japanesse) low carbs low eveything. Barenaked or Slimrice-pasta etc
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    Doc said that gluten free pasta is full of rubbish and its best to stay away from it and also mentioned something about wholewheat in it??? To be honest he said so much I couldn't really take it all in. To be honest I could easily go without pasta I'm just concerned that I'm so active and feel like I need the carbs

Is this an MD or DO who diagnosed you? Just curious because it sounds like they are giving poor information. My chickpea and edemame pasta are only made of beans and are naturally gluten free. And anything that is gluten free will not have wheat in it.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Gluten is a protein that results when you prepare food from wheat, and from certain other cereals. If a food has wheat in it, it pretty much certainly contains gluten. So I have no idea what your doctor has in mind when he says gluten-free pasta has wheat in it. Barilla gluten-free pasta, for instance, is made from a combination of corn and rice flour. So I have to feel you're missing something here, or perhaps your doctor is.

I guess I may have misunderstood him and will be taking more notice of the dietitian.

He just gave me a long speech saying gluten free foods were not the best due to the rubbish they add and they tend to be higher in calories and it's much better to eat foods that are naturally gluten and wheat free. I asked him about pasta and he said something about wholewheat but like I said maybe I misunderstood.

Yes- the GF versions of wheat-based foods tend to have more calories. If your problem is that you need more calories to fuel your workouts, then that is not a problem. :wink: His advice about sticking to whole foods and no buying the GF stuff isn't generally bad advice considering most people who come into his office are probably overweight and don't count calories (and thus could do without all the extra dense starchy calorie bombs), however you do track your calorie intake and stated that you need to find a way to consume more calories for your workouts. Make sure you are hitting your protein macro (ie leave room for something higher-protein before filling up on starchy stuff).

GF pasta will not have wheat in it. Most doctors aren't terribly knowledgeable about foods and nutrition - he probably didn't know any better.

• croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Yes- the GF versions of wheat-based foods tend to have more calories. If your problem is that you need more calories to fuel your workouts, then that is not a problem. :wink: His advice about sticking to whole foods and no buying the GF stuff isn't generally bad advice considering most people who come into his office are probably overweight and don't count calories (and thus could do without all the extra dense starchy calorie bombs), however you do track your calorie intake and stated that you need to find a way to consume more calories for your workouts. Make sure you are hitting your protein macro (ie leave room for something higher-protein before filling up on starchy stuff).

GF pasta will not have wheat in it. Most doctors aren't terribly knowledgeable about foods and nutrition - he probably didn't know any better.

I think your correct concerning doctors knowledge.

I looked at loads of gluten free food today and I was shocked at how much added sugar there was a lot hidden behind the various names for sugar.

Well I'm happy as my brother found a gluten free whey powder so that's good and I can afford the calories.

Yesturday had nuts to get my calories up and good fats. I'm hoping the whey powder helps fuel my workouts and I'm trying quinoa for dinner
  • croftie4
    Options
    Ritzvin - think you right about the doctors knowledge.

Looking at the gluten free isle today it looks like I can't have most of the food anyway as loaded with added sugar.

Well brother found a gluten free whey powder so that should help fuel my workouts and I'm trying quinoa for dinner. I guess nuts and good fats will be helpful
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to make things gluten free. Either make it without any ingredients that have gluten (like using corn or rice or quinoa to make pasta, flour, or apples to make hard cider etc). Or make it with wheat or barley or rye and then process it in such a way as to remove the gluten (like Omission lager).

If you have a wheat allergy rather than just a gluten allergy, then you need to stick with not just gluten-free, but also wheat-free. Read the labels carefully.

I like the Tinkyada brown rice pastas. I also like shiritaki noodles if you rinse them very well, they are similar to ramen noodles in texture. For bread Udi's is my favorite. Thai noodles are usually made from rice. Be careful of soy sauce - some are made from wheat. Tostitos are corn, except the multi-grain, I think those might have wheat in them. Many canned soups have wheat in them.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If you really are having a lot of issues with food, why not try the FODMAP diet, it is a simple elimination diet, to help you understand what your body reacts to, and what it likes, so you can make better decisions on what it can tolerate? It does not cure anything, but it does highlight the usual suspects as well as giving advice on what most people do not react on. You might find that your body will tolerate more foods/fruits than what you currently eat.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

PS I have been GF for 3 years myself due to gluten/wheat intolerance and IBS - I hardly buy any specific GF products, I cook most of my own food. Cheaper, healthier, no preservatives, tastier and I know what my food contains. Besides cooking GF is easy once you get your head around what you CAN eat as opposed to what you Cannot eat. There are very few things you cannot make GF, as for sugar, there is hidden sugar everywhere, but you already know what from reading labels for most of your life.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Doc said that gluten free pasta is full of rubbish and its best to stay away from it and also mentioned something about wholewheat in it??? To be honest he said so much I couldn't really take it all in. To be honest I could easily go without pasta I'm just concerned that I'm so active and feel like I need the carbs

You need to educate yourself on the difference between gluten free pasta and whole wheat. Whole wheat pasta obviously has wheat. Gluten free pasta that I have found is usually made of rice and has no gluten. Tastes the same as regular pasta. Substitute pasta with brown rice, or quinoa.

I don't generally eat pasta anyway or bread. I eat a lot of chicken, fish, pork and sides of veggies and rice or quinoa, or lentils.

Also, there are plenty of carbs in beans, rice, lentils and some vegetables and fruits.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I cant have gluten and have tried numerous of the Gluten free varieties as well as NuPasta made from konjac plant ( need to smother it with sauce beyond belief to get it down ) and I have found that I am slowly just doing without and being good with that , I did have to up my protein to feel satisfied. I feel your pain but it has made a big difference in my joint pain
  • breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Research the keto diet. I too have a severe gluten intolerance.. I'm talking cross contamination and I felt sick to my stomach and was so bloated I looked pregnant. I've completely cut that and sugar from my diet and BOY OH BOY its made one heck of a difference!
  • croftie4
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I cant have gluten and have tried numerous of the Gluten free varieties as well as NuPasta made from konjac plant ( need to smother it with sauce beyond belief to get it down ) and I have found that I am slowly just doing without and being good with that , I did have to up my protein to feel satisfied. I feel your pain but it has made a big difference in my joint pain

Yep lack of joint pain etc is such a motivator. I'm pleased you mentioned the protein as my brother suggested trying protein powder to see if I find it useful and he found a gluten free one.

I do eat beans but mostly what I grow, black beans, so I'll stock up on different varieties. I found the quinoa enjoyable this evening for dinner
  • croftie4
    Options
    Research the keto diet. I too have a severe gluten intolerance.. I'm talking cross contamination and I felt sick to my stomach and was so bloated I looked pregnant. I've completely cut that and sugar from my diet and BOY OH BOY its made one heck of a difference!

I have started looking into the Keto diet another lovely MFP member pointed me in the right direction
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Gluten is a protein that results when you prepare food from wheat, and from certain other cereals. If a food has wheat in it, it pretty much certainly contains gluten. So I have no idea what your doctor has in mind when he says gluten-free pasta has wheat in it. Barilla gluten-free pasta, for instance, is made from a combination of corn and rice flour. So I have to feel you're missing something here, or perhaps your doctor is.

I guess I may have misunderstood him and will be taking more notice of the dietitian.

He just gave me a long speech saying gluten free foods were not the best due to the rubbish they add and they tend to be higher in calories and it's much better to eat foods that are naturally gluten and wheat free. I asked him about pasta and he said something about wholewheat but like I said maybe I misunderstood.

He's right. GF substitute foods are usually less healthful that the normal food. GF bread has less fibre and nutrients than normal bread (with fortified flour). GF substitutes are usually made with a lot of starches (tapoica starch, corn starch, etc) so nutritionally they are inferior.

Naturally GF foods are the way to go. If you still want starches go with rice, potatoes or yams, quinoa, lentils, beans or whatever. Meat and veggies are usually the way to go.

The little things with gluten are the things to watch out for like soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, boullion, soups, spices, etc. Gluten is in weird stuff.

Are you in Canada? By law, labels must say if a product may contain gluten or wheat.

Try celiac. com forums for more info.