Macros vs calories

Options
2»

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Typing "USDA" after most things gets you the united states department of agriculture website listings.

I used those for 2 years and never had any issues losing my 110+ pounds

If i was eating chicken.. if i weighed it raw i would type "USDA Chicken breast, raw"
    If i was eating it cooked, however raw is more accurate, due to cooking methods and water loss, fat loss etc... i would type "USDA chicken breast cooked".. I also do this for my veggies "USDA Carrots" Etc.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

agreed and 99% of the time, I am using the USDA database and making my own entries myself because I trust nobody LOL ... After about a month of my own entries, I don't have to worry about making them any more as they are already kept for me and since I each pretty much the same thing.. it simplifies :)

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You can't meet your macros and still have calories left over.
    Something is off in one or more of your entries. Either calories are wrong or the macros were entered wrong in the entries used from the database.

Calories come from your macros. So if you meet your macros you should be at your calorie goal.

I say double/triple check your entries. For reference:

Carbs and Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

That's true but mine never add up across. I think there is a glitch in the program. I input my information directly from the packaging of the items that I buy, which can be off by up to 20%. I also use the USDA database.

However, if I do the computations for the macros at 4, 4, 9 I usually come up with higher calories than what I pre-logged. I think the program rounds or something. Not sure. I can be off by a couple hundred calories sometimes. I don't give it much thought or worry about it. I noticed that when I first signed up for MFP last year. I never inquired further about it though.

Does yours add up accurately?
  • LuvmyFurbaby
    LuvmyFurbaby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know that when I look up the nutrition info for an item on MFP there can be a green check mark next to it. I understand that it's supposedly verified, but who is doing the verifying?

Can I rely on the check marks? I'm just trying to keep this as simple as I can.

thanks!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    Something is off in one or more of your entries. Either calories are wrong or the macros were entered wrong in the entries used from the database.

Calories come from your macros. So if you meet your macros you should be at your calorie goal.

That's true but mine never add up across. I think there is a glitch in the program. I input my information directly from the packaging of the items that I buy, which can be off by up to 20%. I also use the USDA database.

However, if I do the computations for the macros at 4, 4, 9 I usually come up with higher calories than what I pre-logged. I think the program rounds or something. Not sure. I can be off by a couple hundred calories sometimes. I don't give it much thought or worry about it. I noticed that when I first signed up for MFP last year. I never inquired further about it though.

never lol I just eat to the macros and ignore the calorie piece.. product labels can be tricky as some won't count fiber in the carb count.... so need whole carb count and not net carb.. it's a weird thing lol I am constantly updating / creating my own foods lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I know that when I look up the nutrition info for an item on MFP there can be a green check mark next to it. I understand that it's supposedly verified, but who is doing the verifying?

thanks!

Verifying is done by anyone who decides the information is correct. It takes 3 or so verifications before a green check mark is added automatically. No one oversees this. Most of the time, the information isn't correct, so no, the only correct entries are most USDA entries and entries that you check against packaging yourself (as well as ones you personally add if you're honest!).
  • LuvmyFurbaby
    LuvmyFurbaby Posts: 8 Member
    Options

thanks!

Verifying is done by anyone who decides the information is correct. It takes 3 or so verifications before a green check mark is added automatically. No one oversees this. Most of the time, the information isn't correct, so no, the only correct entries are most USDA entries and entries that you check against packaging yourself (as well as ones you personally add if you're honest!).

Thanks!!!

I guess Theodore Roosevelt was spot on when he said “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Usually pretty dang close. Mine was off yesterday by 12 calories (under) and remaining was off by 1 calorie.