Hungry the day after workout

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
I used to be really hungry the day I exercised. I stopped my diet and exercise due to health issues, but I am slowly getting back in the game. The funny thing is, my appetite is relatively normal the day I exercise, but I am ravenous the next day. I am gaining weight, so it's not a problem as long as I monitor my carb intake.

Anyway, does anyone else feel hungry the day after they work out? I'm just curious as to why that would happen - if there's some scientific explanation to it?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't know the scientific explanation. If anything my hunger is staved on the day I workout. I'm more hungry on rest days.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Same here. Especially after leg day or deadlift day.

Your body is taxed and it wants to recover. It recovers through rest and nutrients. This is way more detailed than I explained but simply speaking this is what's going on.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    Same here. Especially after leg day or deadlift day.

Your body is taxed and it wants to recover. It recovers through rest and nutrients. This is way more detailed than I explained but simply speaking this is what's going on.

I just read more about it after your post. It makes a lot of sense. I am glad I'm not the only one; it is interesting that the pattern changed for me.
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am always so hungry the day after full body strength training
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your body uses a lot of energy to exercise. It's possible that you're not taking in enough food pre- and post-exercise.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    saw the thread title and knew you must be lifting.

ayup. funny thing, when i was doing stronglifts 5x5 it was the deadlifts that would get me on the next day. i started wendler 5/3/1 almost a year ago and i thought they would get even worse, because of so-many-more reps.

never happened though. now i'm just always hungry, no special day about it.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Your body uses a lot of energy to exercise. It's possible that you're not taking in enough food pre- and post-exercise.

I was wondering if I needed to change some of my eating habits. The last few days I decided to swap my lunch and snack time (lunch is now earlier), and made my snack more protein and vegetable friendly. It's helping so far.
    saw the thread title and knew you must be lifting.

ayup. funny thing, when i was doing stronglifts 5x5 it was the deadlifts that would get me on the next day. i started wendler 5/3/1 almost a year ago and i thought they would get even worse, because of so-many-more reps.

never happened though. now i'm just always hungry, no special day about it.

I'm not lifting consistently right now because I'm still too weak health wise - I have tried before, and would just be wiped out and sick the next few days. So for now im doing light cardio like walking and biking, and my stamina and energy levels are so much better. I hope to be lifting again soon. I miss it so much. I would definitely be starving though lol.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is me. Totally fine and manageable on my workouts days and my rest days...I want all the food!

The explanation above makes sense and I always thought that about myself when I found myself closer to maintenance calories on rest days.